Author Topic: Time to trade Dunn to the Yankees  (Read 5614 times)

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Re: Time to trade Dunn to the Yankees
« Reply #125: July 29, 2009, 01:23:01 PM »

"Grrrrrr, I hate stats!  They just confuse me!!

Get off my lawn, you dorky kids!"

-old men everywhere

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #126: July 29, 2009, 01:28:39 PM »
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, da-mned lies, and statistics."
--Mark Twain

I was wondering how long it would take for that one to come up.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #127: July 29, 2009, 01:29:18 PM »
"Grrrrrr, I hate stats!  They just confuse me!!
Get off my lawn, you dorky kids!"
-old men everywhere

At least the old men present semi-rational arguments for why they don't worship at the stats altar.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #128: July 31, 2009, 10:02:36 AM »
At least the old men present semi-rational arguments for why they don't worship at the stats altar.

Unlike the stat-heads who look down their noses even though they couldn't tell you the grip of a curveball.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #129: July 31, 2009, 10:23:38 AM »
Unlike the stat-heads who look down their noses even though they couldn't tell you the grip of a curveball.

But, the stat-heads can tell you if the curveball is getting batters out, not to mention how often it is thrown for strikes, the amount of break, velocity, etc.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #130: July 31, 2009, 10:47:45 AM »
But, the stat-heads can tell you if the curveball is getting batters out, not to mention how often it is thrown for strikes, the amount of break, velocity, etc.

True.  And you could NEVER tell that sort of thing from players who are on the field and experiencing this on a day-to-day basis.   :roll:

A stat-head can only tell you what happened previously in games played in the past.  A player can tell you what is working and what is not on any given day.

Tom,

You know I can see the value of statistics and how they can mark trends, but I think NJ Ave was taking things way too far.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #131: July 31, 2009, 10:51:58 AM »
True.  And you could NEVER tell that sort of thing from players who are on the field and experiencing this on a day-to-day basis.   :roll:

A stat-head can only tell you what happened previously in games played in the past.  A player can tell you what is working and what is not on any given day.

Tom,

You know I can see the value of statistics and how they can mark trends, but I think NJ Ave was taking things way too far.

Ex-ball players make for excellent general managers and scouts- oh wait. . .

Don't those guys feel like idiots suggesting an 18 year old be signed for millions based on how his frame looks?

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #132: July 31, 2009, 11:01:44 AM »

Don't those guys feel like idiots suggesting an 18 year old be signed for millions based on how his frame looks?

That's not the point and you know it.

We're talking about defensive metrics.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #133: July 31, 2009, 12:33:03 PM »

Frame is actually quite important when scouting someone so young. It give you an idea of how much room they have to grow and add muscle. I think with an 18 year old there is really nothing in stats and scouting their athletic abilities that tells you how they will turn out.