Author Topic: Ovechkin now has his center  (Read 13557 times)

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Ovechkin now has his center
« Topic Start: June 24, 2006, 08:51:03 PM »
When the Caps drafted Nicklas Backstrom, (4th overall) in today's player entry draft, they found the player who just may be THE play-maker that Ovechkin and the Caps needed.

The Caps also drafted the number one ranked goaltender in the 1st round, Russian Semen Varlamov. (get used to pronouncing his name because he too will be a future star.

My Team, the Canadiens picked a player who wont be NHL ready for another 2 years... It was a ho hum days for Habs fans...

caldercup0

« Reply #1: June 25, 2006, 02:30:09 PM »
Are they getting Semin (the forward) back for next season too?

gozimm

« Reply #2: June 25, 2006, 03:58:53 PM »
The Caps are looking like they will be very good in years to come.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #3: June 25, 2006, 05:25:07 PM »
As a Caps fan, I'm very excited. Backstrom is a stud and will be here next year or in 07.

And yes, we're getting Semin back.

DirtDogBaseball

« Reply #4: June 27, 2006, 01:37:59 PM »
The Caps will be good as long as Ted makes the committment to winning with his checkbook. Ovy needs line help YES....but this team needs defensive help.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #5: June 27, 2006, 03:02:25 PM »
Quote from: "DirtDogBaseball"
The Caps will be good as long as Ted makes the committment to winning with his checkbook. Ovy needs line help YES....but this team needs defensive help.

Ted doesn't need to open his checkbook for any huge contract until Ovechkin's rookie deal ends 2 years from now. Still, he needs to sign someone in 3-4 years who can make a big impact.

DirtDogBaseball

« Reply #6: June 27, 2006, 03:13:09 PM »
Quote from: "Nats19"

Ted doesn't need to open his checkbook for any huge contract until Ovechkin's rookie deal ends 2 years from now. Still, he needs to sign someone in 3-4 years who can make a big impact.

I didn't say huge contract, I said show a committment to winning by signing FA D-man who helps the club NOW! Ted is already on his second 5 year plan, he must act now. AO is a totally different story in 2 years, when we'll see what Ted's committment is in keeping him. He must put a product on the ice now thats worth the $$$ fans are paying. Unless AO plays every minute of every game....thats not the case.

caldercup0

« Reply #7: June 27, 2006, 04:55:58 PM »
Still, he needs to sign someone in 3-4 years who can make a big impact.

Let's not forget their farm team just won the Calder Cup... they have some quality prospects who can make an impact in 3-4 years. Fehr and Green are two that come to my mind...

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #8: June 27, 2006, 09:23:53 PM »
The Calder Cup team has some stars on it...Green, Fehr, Fleishmann, Klepis. Green and Fleishmann will be in DC full time unless the tank in training camp. The Caps have all the tools they need to make a series run at a cup in about 3 years...I could see us winning it in 3-4 years as long as GMGM signs a decent veteran defenseman.

AO will get the max contract as soon as his entry level expires. He has said that he loves DC and the fans. I see Ted offering him a huge contract so that he'll be a Cap for a long time.

DirtDogBaseball

« Reply #9: June 28, 2006, 07:51:21 AM »
Hershey's championship is a great thing for Hershey and the AHL. It means nothing in putting together a Stanley Cup contender.

The Caps prospects are just that....prospects. Here's to hoping they pan out because our draft picks and prospects haven't so far in our history.

Of course AO "loves DC and the fans". What do you expect him to say?
The so called blue-print plan that Ted has is based on good hockey/business decisons. He goes cheap now, but its going to come where he's going to have to step up and open up the checkbook.

He's getting away with robbery with his prices for tickets based on the talent of the team he puts out on the ice. Thats got to change.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #10: June 28, 2006, 08:42:45 AM »
Ted doesn't have a blue-print plan. The plan can change at any year. We could make the playoffs this year and then he would have to spend some more money.

I'll agree prices are high for a bad team right now. But next year the team is gonna be damn entertaining.

DirtDogBaseball

« Reply #11: June 28, 2006, 08:58:19 AM »
Ted MUST have a plan. It says so right here in my Season Ticket package. "We're sticking with the plan!"

We could make the playoffs this year, it all depends on who we play
if its a revenue generator or not. We already don't have a home ice
advantage going in on most nights and then we had that PITIFUL
showing when the fans didn't show up against Tampa few years back
 :doh:

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #12: June 28, 2006, 10:49:18 AM »
With the new NHL rules, teams in the same or similar position as the Carolina Hurricanes were the past few seasons, can now become big winners. The Canes are a great example of what can happen if the front office does their job well. A team can go from not being in the playoffs, to winning the Stanley Cup.

Nick Backstrom is a very good addition (possibly great even), as is goaltender, Semen Varlamov (this kid can play goal something fierce and he will steal wins by himself) The Caps third pick was also a goalie, (Michal Neuvirth from the Czech republic) and he's also very good, but might be a couple years away. The Caps 2nd pick in the second round was, in my opinion, (I've seen him play) totally wasted, because Bouchard disappears in clutch games. Of course that might change, since the NHL can often change a player's thinking methods. The rest of their picks, are like many draft picks, a crap shoot, but you never know.

I'm pretty sure Ovechkin will make Varlamov feel very much at home and he'll be given every opportunity to showcase his talents.

Even though offense wins hockey games, championships are won on defense, and defense starts in goal. Now if you Caps can sign a few solid defensemen, they could be the next Carolina Hurricanes.

Keep an close eye on which free agents get signed over the next few weeks, because in the new NHL, free agents will play a big factor in any team's success...

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #13: June 28, 2006, 11:54:29 AM »
Ted MUST have a plan. It says so right here in my Season Ticket package. "We're sticking with the plan!"

We could make the playoffs this year, it all depends on who we play
if its a revenue generator or not. We already don't have a home ice
advantage going in on most nights and then we had that PITIFUL
showing when the fans didn't show up against Tampa few years back

Well, he doesn't have a "5-year plan." There really isnt a timeline. The general consensus is that if we aren't contenders by 08-09, something is seriously wrong.

DirtDogBaseball

« Reply #14: June 28, 2006, 12:09:15 PM »
There isn't a timeline because he ALREADY BLEW IT UP
from his FIRST 5-year plan when he bought the team.

If we're contenders by '08 that would be good. I hope
he realizes its going to COST him which means paying
more will be in THE PLAN by then. We're paying enough
to watch a team with only a handful of guys that have
NHL talent....its only fair Ted pays now too!
 :lol:

NatsCaps19

« Reply #15: July 11, 2006, 11:40:10 AM »
too bad Backstrom decided to stay in Sweden next season  :cry:

we'll see you in 07-08 Niklas!!

Ryan Zimmerman

« Reply #16: July 20, 2006, 04:10:52 PM »
Quote from: "NatsCaps19"
too bad Backstrom decided to stay in Sweden next season  :cry:

we'll see you in 07-08 Niklas!!

Yeah, he said he wants to say with brynas for one more year.

Backstrom would already be an improvement over Cassels. They'll make one interesting duo, i'm surprised mcphee hasn't signed ufa's for ovechkin. If he can score 50 with an ahl team (no offence) imagine what he could do with 2 decent players playing with him for a whole season. Zubrus put a minor leaguer kind of performance when you see Ao's numbers.

DirtDogBaseball

« Reply #17: August 12, 2006, 09:07:37 AM »
UFA's must not be part of Teds most recent 5-year plan!
 :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
He's got quite a racket going, charging the prices he's
charging to watch the team as it stands today!

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #18: August 13, 2006, 05:14:59 PM »
DirtDog, I'm beginning to think you're cphcky from the Caps' boards, with all the emotions and such.
And I guess you didn't hear, they signed Pothier and Brashear, as well as trading for Zednik.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
« Reply #19: August 13, 2006, 05:17:09 PM »
UFA's must not be part of Teds most recent 5-year plan!
 :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
He's got quite a racket going, charging the prices he's
charging to watch the team as it stands today!
Dude's got a point...charging an arm and a leg for o-zone seats has always turned me off.

DirtDogBaseball

« Reply #20: August 14, 2006, 02:36:42 PM »
DirtDog, I'm beginning to think you're cphcky from the Caps' boards, with all the emotions and such.
And I guess you didn't hear, they signed Pothier and Brashear, as well as trading for Zednik.

I AM caphcky from the Caps boards but haven't been over there in years. I hear the the ice-vine that I'm still thought of being there by Chelsea and all his other legions of losers. Sad to think that shut in is over 50 and chatting with kids on a message board.   :lol:

Sorry, to get back to your point. I know they signed Pothier and Brashear and re-treaded Zednik back. Yippee....I'm sure all the 400 level bozos will come out of their chairs to see Donald knock somebody out, while we need somebody to help AO knock a few in the net!

Good talkin to ya.....see you at the Verizon Center next month?

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #21: August 14, 2006, 03:55:38 PM »

Sorry, to get back to your point. I know they signed Pothier and Brashear and re-treaded Zednik back. Yippee....I'm sure all the 400 level bozos will come out of their chairs to see Donald knock somebody out, while we need somebody to help AO knock a few in the net!

Hey, Brashear was brought in only to protect Alex. And to add to their signings, they got former 1st round pick and top prospect Alexander Semin over from Russia to play on the 2nd line and the PP. The kid's a stud and will be a 30 goal scorer before you can even blink.

Hell, the Caps will finish 10th in the East this year, 6 pts out of a playoff spot.

DirtDogBaseball

« Reply #22: August 14, 2006, 05:23:05 PM »

Hey, Brashear was brought in only to protect Alex. And to add to their signings, they got former 1st round pick and top prospect Alexander Semin over from Russia to play on the 2nd line and the PP. The kid's a stud and will be a 30 goal scorer before you can even blink.

Hell, the Caps will finish 10th in the East this year, 6 pts out of a playoff spot.

Yep....Don will "protect" Alex and THATS A GREAT THING <eye roll>
See, we're fans of the Caps....thats cool, but this organization is nothing but AO and "prospects". Semin could help us this year, but he's still a HEAD CASE until he shows up and plays. He can score 30....but every time I blinked before he was in the dog house or it never happened. I'll wait if you say so.....lol

The Caps will finish 10th in th east this year? WOW....I don't know why I didn't renew SOONER.....lol. As you can tell....I'm not a big fan of "the plan" because its in its second installment. I guess this time it came with kool-aid too....but I haven't taken a drink yet.

See you @ verizon

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #23: August 14, 2006, 05:26:27 PM »
I don't see how you cna call him a head case when the only problems he had with the team was that he wasn't good on Defense. And the whole "not reporting to Portland" thing? He didn't have to go. His contract said he could go to Russia.

Call me an optimistic fan, but I think that if they can stay healthy, they'll do pretty solid.

NatsCaps19

« Reply #24: August 14, 2006, 10:50:44 PM »
fyi, this toolbag (dirtdogbaseball) has been banned at least 5 times from the Capitals message board... and every time he's back in a few days with a new screenname.