Author Topic: Washington Capitals (2010-11)  (Read 66367 times)

Offline eckseid

Re: Official 10-11 Washington Capitals Thread
« Reply #1: July 17, 2010, 05:02:34 PM »
Please don't choke again.

Agreed, let's hope for a fun season that ends with the cup in hand. Hopefully ovie has learned from the suspensions and will stop his bs hits.

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #2: July 17, 2010, 05:07:29 PM »
No #1 D = limp wristed Mikey screws us again.  One very obvious need in the offseason and teams like the freaking Pens address their D but we stay pat with captain fairy dust.  No Cup Finals appearance should spell the end of GMGM and big fat guy.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #3: July 17, 2010, 05:12:53 PM »
No #1 D = limp wristed Mikey screws us again.  One very obvious need in the offseason and teams like the freaking Pens address their D but we stay pat with captain fairy dust.  No Cup Finals appearance should spell the end of GMGM and big fat guy.

No, as long as they make it to the 2nd round and play hard I think Ted will keep McPhee.

Yes, Ted just doesn't get it.

Offline d_mc_nabb

« Reply #4: July 18, 2010, 01:18:43 PM »
The Pens adressed their defense... and lost one of the best defenseman in the league. They lost more than they gained. I'm more concerned with the Devils.

As for McPhee, you guys need to calm down. It's not his fault his team can't win in the playoffs. There were so many times where they had 50 shots on goal, and countless great opportunities. Halak played out of his mind, nothing you can do about that. That's the coaches job. As a whole, the defense played pretty well, the Habs didn't score much throughout the series, but that said, Mike Green must have given them at least 6 goals directly by himself, and that can't be tolerated. But agani, that's on the coach.

All McPhee has done is build a team perenially atop the standings. I am not a believer in a team that has "winners," that's bull, there's no trade that can fix that, no signing either. The defense could use improvement, but that's the system... it's not built to stop goals. And to win in the playoffs, you may have to change those ways. Again, on the coach. And just by virtue of adding Alzner and Carlson, the defense has improved, in fact.

Offline Potomac Cannons

Re: Washington Capitals Thread (2010-2011)
« Reply #5: July 18, 2010, 01:25:09 PM »
The Pens lost Gonchar.  They took a significant step backwards last year keeping him but losing Gill and Scuderi.  They fixed that this offseason by allowing an overpaid offensive D to leave and replacing him with two legit defense first players.  They upgraded significantly for the playoffs which are the only games that matter.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #6: July 18, 2010, 01:26:32 PM »
The Pens adressed their defense... and lost one of the best defenseman in the league. They lost more than they gained. I'm more concerned with the Devils.

As for McPhee, you guys need to calm down. It's not his fault his team can't win in the playoffs. There were so many times where they had 50 shots on goal, and countless great opportunities. Halak played out of his mind, nothing you can do about that. That's the coaches job. As a whole, the defense played pretty well, the Habs didn't score much throughout the series, but that said, Mike Green must have given them at least 6 goals directly by himself, and that can't be tolerated. But agani, that's on the coach.

All McPhee has done is build a team perenially atop the standings. I am not a believer in a team that has "winners," that's bull, there's no trade that can fix that, no signing either. The defense could use improvement, but that's the system... it's not built to stop goals. And to win in the playoffs, you may have to change those ways. Again, on the coach. And just by virtue of adding Alzner and Carlson, the defense has improved, in fact.

There is so much wrong with this post I don't even know where to begin.

Gonchar is one of the best in the league? hahahah, dude he SUCKS at defense. He's a powerplay guy and nothing more. An older Mike Green who is less physical.

And yes it is his fault HIS TEAM can't win. HE ASSEMBLED THE TEAM. HE HIRED THE COACH. It's HIS team!

My biggest issue is the arrogance and complacency McPhee and Ted have shown. The team has 1 playoff series win in 12 YEARS and Ted is acting like we're defending champs.

I honestly am not sure if we can win with an owner like Ted (cares about the $$$, scared to fire anyone) and McPhee. I like the foundation present, but McPhee seems scared to ever make a move, and he seems to hate every veteran physical defenseman.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #7: July 19, 2010, 12:11:47 PM »
Devils sign Kovalchuk.

Caps sign Brian Willsie, call their FA search complete.

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #8: July 19, 2010, 12:39:15 PM »
Brian Willsie?  Was there any need at all for another freaking winger?

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #9: July 19, 2010, 12:40:23 PM »
Brian Willsie?  Was there any need at all for another freaking winger?

Calder Cup Dynasty.

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #10: July 19, 2010, 12:46:40 PM »
BTW, I fully expect a 25 goal season out of Alexander Giroux now that he's in Edmonton.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #11: July 19, 2010, 12:47:52 PM »
BTW, I fully expect a 25 goal season out of Alexander Giroux now that he's in Edmonton.

I doubt it, but he could only because he'd be forced to get top 6 minutes. The Oilers suck ass.

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #12: July 19, 2010, 12:52:44 PM »
I doubt it, but he could only because he'd be forced to get top 6 minutes. The Oilers suck ass.

And his one clear skill is goalscoring.  He'll put a bunch of goals up but not do much else.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #13: July 19, 2010, 12:58:21 PM »
And his one clear skill is goalscoring.  He'll put a bunch of goals up but not do much else.

I still don't see him doing anything in the NHL. He's gotten plenty of shots (with guys like Ovechin, no less) and has no NHL scoring ability.

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #15: July 19, 2010, 01:09:24 PM »
He's gotten a grand total of 31 games over 4 years and put up 4g 5a in those games.  He got mostly 3rd line minutes, rarely getting more than 15 shifts and often closer to 10...not exactly prime scoring chances.  His one goal last year was an 11 shift, 5:23 ice time game.

He's never been given a chance despite putting up ridiculous numbers in the AHL.  A team like the Oilers is perfect for him and I'll be very surprised if he doesn't get into a groove in the NHL with extended, legitimate playing time.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #16: July 19, 2010, 01:19:21 PM »
I just don't see it, but if he does figure it out, good for him. We don't really have a spot for him regardless.

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #17: July 19, 2010, 01:21:13 PM »
I just don't see it, but if he does figure it out, good for him. We don't really have a spot for him regardless.

This is where I would have liked to see them move someone like Flash for a legit 1st or 2nd pairing D and give Giroux that LW slot (even if only 3rd line).

Offline Dave B

« Reply #18: July 19, 2010, 01:40:40 PM »
giroux did get a lot of scoring opportunities and not scoring could just be part of the randomness invloved in beating a goalie. it was a pretty small sample size. i think there is hope for him. i dont really care that he is gone though.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #19: July 19, 2010, 01:40:57 PM »
This is where I would have liked to see them move someone like Flash for a legit 1st or 2nd pairing D and give Giroux that LW slot (even if only 3rd line).

Fleischmann alone won't give us anything near a 1st or 2nd pairing defenseman, but Fleischmann and someone like Bouchard could give us something nice. Unlikely that we move him, though, because the team seems to love the idea of a soft, weak, scared-of-contact, disappearing-in-important-games #2 center.

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #20: July 19, 2010, 02:10:48 PM »
At this point what in the world do we expect out of the roster?

OV-Nicky-Knuble
Laich-Marcus Jo-Semin
Flash-Belanger-Fehr
Chimera-Two of our 85 3rd/4th line options? A Gordon/B Gordon/Steckel/Bradley/Beagle etc.

Limp wristed Mikey/Schultz
Carlson/Alzner
Poti/Erskine-Sloan-Fahey

Varly/Nuevy

That's not enough.  Real #1 D please.

I do hope our PP involves Fehr and Laich on the first unit with Knuble on the 2nd so we have guys who are good around the net and save Knuble's legs by not expecting 1st line and 1st PP minutes out of him.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #21: July 19, 2010, 03:26:17 PM »
I don't see us re-signing Belanger if we haven't already.

I see the forwards like this

AO-NB-MK
Semin-90-Fehr
Laich-85-Flash
Chimera-Steckel-Bradley

Scratches: A. Gordon, B. Gordon

52-55
Carlson-Poti
Alzner-Erskine (yikes)

Scratch: Sloan (yikes)

Varly/Neuvirth

We don't even really need a real #1 defenseman. Carlson is already that (assuming he plays up to his level of last year), and Alzner is probably our 2nd best guy already.

We need a guy for that 6th spot. Sutton would be perfect, but for some reason McPhee has no interest in signing him or anybody else. Sloan and Erskine rotating in the lineup is awful and will be a major negative to the development of guys like Alzner and 74.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #22: July 19, 2010, 03:31:16 PM »
Tampa Bay also acquired Gagne for pretty much nothing. They're looking pretty good.

Amazing what aggressive pursuit of team improvement can do. It's too bad the Caps are content with SE Division banners and high ticket/merchandise sales.

Hell maybe some competition will make the team acquire someone to ensure another awesome SE division title.

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #23: July 19, 2010, 03:33:49 PM »
Ah yes, forgot about Matty at C.  I'd still like Belanger as he's a perfect 3rd line C/defensive zone FO guy.

Carlson will be a #1 D, his instincts are remarkable, but there's still room for development.  We still need someone legit to pair him with.  I just don't see another 1st pairing D on the roster or in the system.  There's no excuse for that at this point with 273 guys who can score a bit who we should be able to trade.  I like small doses of Erskine against teams that just try to bully the Caps.  I'd like him as the 7th guy who plays the occasional Flyers/Sabres/Bruins game.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #24: July 19, 2010, 03:37:27 PM »
Yea Erskine would be OK as a 7th defenseman but right now he's a 6th defenseman....I too would like Belanger but not if we already have Steckel and Gordon on the roster (and the Caps absolutely hate to lose key guys like that :?).

Carlson is our only #1 defenseman in the system but 95% of teams only have 1 #1 guy in their system as well, 1 at the most. The problem is, like you said, we have so many tradeable pieces, but we absolutely refuse to make a move.