Author Topic: Salary negotiation  (Read 1519 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Salary negotiation
« Topic Start: February 09, 2012, 01:23:48 PM »
So ... how do I do it.

Basically, I've had a few interviews and I always get the question "How much are you looking for?"

Which seems retarded to me. Because, obviously, I want a gajillion dollars.

But every time I throw out what I think is a reasonable number, I'm either way over or way under. I had one company I interviewed with that I asked for 50k (it was in Arlington) and they were like, the position pays 70-80k. I've had others where I say 40-45k and they were like, "ummm ... it pays 32k"

So, help me. I'm tired of this question. Why can't they just come out and say what they're offering? What should I be saying/asking?

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Re: Salary negotiation
« Reply #1: February 09, 2012, 01:53:01 PM »
Don't worry about what they want, just tell them what you want and they'll decide from there.  Of course, you could do that, have them agree, go through the whole process and be told "we can't pay you that much."  YMMV, of course. 

At this point I just tell them "I want XXX,XXX amount and I'll do anything no questions asked." 

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #2: February 09, 2012, 02:23:30 PM »
It's really hard if you don't know the range. I was in that situation 12 years ago. Basically what I did was figure out what I was making (overtime included) and asked for 5k more than that since I would be exempt from overtime with my new job. They gave it to me, so maybe I was low. I was happy with my new salary though. Just my own personal experience. For the 32k situation you mention above, I would say you haven't lost anything highballing if what they are offering isn't something you can live off of. Makes more sense a potential employer would advertise the range to weed out anyone not interested and not waste everyone's time with interviews for people not interested in that range.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #3: February 09, 2012, 02:32:50 PM »
It's really hard if you don't know the range. I was in that situation 12 years ago. Basically what I did was figure out what I was making (overtime included) and asked for 5k more than that since I would be exempt from overtime with my new job. They gave it to me, so maybe I was low. I was happy with my new salary though. Just my own personal experience. For the 32k situation you mention above, I would say you haven't lost anything highballing if what they are offering isn't something you can live off of. Makes more sense a potential employer would advertise the range to weed out anyone not interested and not waste everyone's time with interviews for people not interested in that range.

my wife's company is hiring a stock analyast- the position pays very well- the last time they hired an analyast they made the mistake of advertising that fact and got deluged with candidates who weren't even remotely qualified. I think the reason companies withhold that information is some vague notion about people wanting the job more than the salary

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #4: February 09, 2012, 02:33:21 PM »
What job are you applying for? Here's some tips that may or may not apply:

http://www.askmen.com/money/career/36_career.html

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #5: February 09, 2012, 02:37:15 PM »
So ... how do I do it.

Basically, I've had a few interviews and I always get the question "How much are you looking for?"

Which seems retarded to me. Because, obviously, I want a gajillion dollars.

But every time I throw out what I think is a reasonable number, I'm either way over or way under. I had one company I interviewed with that I asked for 50k (it was in Arlington) and they were like, the position pays 70-80k. I've had others where I say 40-45k and they were like, "ummm ... it pays 32k"

So, help me. I'm tired of this question. Why can't they just come out and say what they're offering? What should I be saying/asking?

They ask you this in order to lead you to where they want you.  For one thing, you should NEVER answer the question in the application, maybe put "TBD".  In the past I've read books on how to get a job and negotiate, and this is a key point - you don't want to give away anything you could get, nor do you want to ask for too much and lose an otherwise good opportunity.  I'll see if I can find some pointers when I get home tonight if it's at a reasonable hour.

By the way, I hope you are reading up on resume prep, interview tactics, final negotiation.  I like a book called "Knock 'em dead"  (has a more extended title and don't remember the author at the moment).

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #6: February 09, 2012, 02:43:04 PM »
I tell ya, I could use some interview tips when promotion time comes around again. Not that it matters though... They pretty much know who they are gonna promote before hand, just gotta make sure you score high enough on the test. Whether or not you're a threat to institutional safety due to being a complete and total dumbass is rarely a consideration... sigh

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #7: February 09, 2012, 02:58:28 PM »
In your 20s ask for double your age, triple in your thirties, quadruple in your forties and fifties.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #8: February 09, 2012, 03:46:25 PM »
In your 20s ask for double your age, triple in your thirties, quadruple in your forties and fifties.

29 ... hmmmm ... lol, thats interesting advice.

My dad is going to be 62 this year. Wonder what he asks for.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #9: February 09, 2012, 03:50:20 PM »
I have a set bottom in my head, which obviously I won't share with anyone. But basically, if I sign up for less than this, I pretty much start looking for a new job right away.

EDIT - Okay, found out their salary range. Its lower than what I want, but its definitely liveable. It will enable me to replenish my savings account.

Only thing is the commute is to Arlington .... blah ...

Oh well, lease is up in a few months. Perhaps wife and I will move closer to work. Or to the Metro.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #10: February 09, 2012, 08:28:34 PM »
EDIT - Okay, found out their salary range. Its lower than what I want, but its definitely liveable. It will enable me to replenish my savings account.

Regardless, sell yourself fully with a goal of getting an offer.  If they offer you, it means they've made the leap to wanting you and you will have an opportunity to counter.  Assuming you haven't already signaled you'll accept the range, of course.  Lots of times they may have flexibility to bump the position to a higher level, or otherwise accomodate your request. 

Sort of like, "thanks for the offer, I really appreciate it and the position sounds really appealing.  However, the salary range is just a bit below what I was hoping for, which is $xx,xxx.  Any chance you could get to my number?"

Offline NatsFanSince2005

« Reply #11: February 09, 2012, 10:09:19 PM »
Basically, the low paying jobs need to point out the salary range right from the get go, like on the webpage before you even submit the resume. They don't want people to "discriminate" because of the pay alone, but they need to realize that they are wasting their time and resources interviewing and processing someone who will be turned off by a poor paying job and consider moving on without accepting the job.
On the flipside, I do understand why well paying jobs, specifically anything 50k+, do not advertise their price until late into the employment process. They don't want every unqualified person submitting their resume and calling, just hoping that they can land the job.
There's nothing more annoying than a sub-50k job failing to list their pay, and then wondering why alot of people waste their time in the interview process.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #12: February 09, 2012, 10:11:08 PM »
My dad is going to be 62 this year. Wonder what he asks for.

$0

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #13: February 10, 2012, 09:41:25 AM »
I have a set bottom in my head, which obviously I won't share with anyone. But basically, if I sign up for less than this, I pretty much start looking for a new job right away.

Only thing is the commute is to Arlington .... blah ...

Oh well, lease is up in a few months. Perhaps wife and I will move closer to work. Or to the Metro.

I'm in Arlington, where would you be coming from?

Offline Slateman

« Reply #14: February 10, 2012, 01:46:42 PM »
I'm in Arlington, where would you be coming from?

Orange line. Courthouse Metro station.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #15: February 10, 2012, 02:30:47 PM »
Orange line. Courthouse Metro station.

That's where you'd be commuting TO or FROM?

Offline Slateman

« Reply #16: February 10, 2012, 02:31:46 PM »
That's where you'd be commuting TO or FROM?

Oh. To. I'd be commuting from the Fairfax county govt center

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #17: February 10, 2012, 03:40:23 PM »

Taking the Metro is your best bet IF you can get to Vienna early enough to get a parking spot.

Wave as you pass through Ballston.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #18: February 10, 2012, 03:49:31 PM »

That's nice that they check you out of the county jail to work.   Maybe a Red Hot and Blue lunch once in a while?

Offline Slateman

« Reply #19: February 10, 2012, 04:39:26 PM »
My uncle owns a house two blocks from the Dunn loring station. He says I can park there for free, so that's what I would do.

No jail at the government center man. That's the courthouse. I live in the aprtment complexes that surround it. My usual run takes me through that gross pond behind it.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #20: February 10, 2012, 08:18:55 PM »
My uncle owns a house two blocks from the Dunn loring station. He says I can park there for free, so that's what I would do.

No jail at the government center man. That's the courthouse. I live in the aprtment complexes that surround it. My usual run takes me through that gross pond behind it.
Through the pond? Couldn't you go around it?

Offline blue911

« Reply #21: February 10, 2012, 08:29:32 PM »
Through the pond? Couldn't you go around it?

He's a Marine.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #22: February 10, 2012, 09:02:31 PM »
He's a Marine.

:crackup:

Of course.  If he was Army he'd go around.  Air Force, over.  Navy, across. Coast Guard?   :shrug:

Offline Slateman

« Reply #23: February 11, 2012, 12:16:25 AM »
Navy isn't there to give me a ride

NAVY!!!!! Y U NO DO IT JOB?!?!?

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #24: February 11, 2012, 07:13:36 AM »
:crackup:

Of course.  If he was Army he'd go around.  Air Force, over.  Navy, across. Coast Guard?   :shrug:

U bes not be dissin' the CG, yo.