Author Topic: Big Yanks-D-Backs-Tigers deal goes down  (Read 916 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Big Yanks-D-Backs-Tigers deal goes down
« Topic Start: December 08, 2009, 02:24:16 PM »
12:48pm: Heyman tweets that an agreement has been reached, with only medicals pending.  We'll do a fresh post once this trade is official.  To reiterate: the Yankees get Curtis Granderson, the D'Backs get Edwin Jackson and Ian Kennedy, and the Tigers get Max Scherzer, Daniel Schlereth, Austin Jackson, and Phil Coke.

Steal for the Tigers?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Big Yanks-D-Backs-Tigers deal goes down
« Reply #1: December 08, 2009, 02:46:03 PM »
Steal for the Tigers?

Agreed.  What was Josh Byrnes thinking.  Schlereth and Scherzer for E-Jack and I-Ken?

Offline Dexter Morgan

« Reply #2: December 08, 2009, 03:09:18 PM »
Good deal for Yankees, good deal for Tigers, not a good deal for D'Backs.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #3: December 08, 2009, 03:13:45 PM »
I'm not certain this is horrible for the Diamondbacks.  If you think about it:

- They feel like Webb will return this year as healthy as he was in 2008 and prior.
 - They already have Dan Haren
 - Edwin Jackson is supposed to have HUGE upside and could realize this potential in a large ballpark.

If they have a 1-2-3 of Webb, Haren and Jackson that's an unbelievable front end of the rotation.  The Yankees had a marginal bullpen which is largely covered up by Rivera.  If the D-backs can get the same production out of their bullpen as the Yankees did, I think their top three starters could make them the favorite in the west which only really has the Dodgers as a strong team.

Add a couple of bats and the D-backs could be really good in the short-term with this deal.  It's the long-term that hurts them.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #4: December 08, 2009, 03:26:28 PM »
What a haul for the Tigers.

I kind of agree with Minty, though.  Jackson's a nice addition for the D'Backs.

But this goes to show that the Nats couldn't have even dreamed of getting him without giving up something like Storen+Detwiler.

Offline amanuel

• what the hell is going on out there?
    • RBSL
« Reply #5: December 08, 2009, 03:27:22 PM »
I like this deal for both the Yankees AND the D-Backs. Curtis in that line-up is crazy to think about and like Minty said if the Webb can stay healthy they are going to have a nice trio at the front of their rotation.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #6: December 08, 2009, 03:27:33 PM »
What a haul for the Tigers.

I kind of agree with Minty, though.  Jackson's a nice addition for the D'Backs.

But this goes to show that the Nats couldn't have even dreamed of getting him without giving up something like Storen+Detwiler.

Of course we don't have something like Storen+Detwiler, cause only Detwiler is tradeable out of those two, Storen not having been with the club a year yet.

Offline blue911

« Reply #7: December 08, 2009, 03:32:53 PM »
Of course we don't have something like Storen+Detwiler, cause only Detwiler is tradeable out of those two, Storen not having been with the club a year yet.

He can always be a PTBNL

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #8: December 08, 2009, 03:36:28 PM »
He can always be a PTBNL

That would be a LONG time to wait.  Must be a statute of limitations in there somewhere.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #9: December 08, 2009, 04:33:27 PM »
I'm not certain this is horrible for the Diamondbacks.  If you think about it:

- They feel like Webb will return this year as healthy as he was in 2008 and prior.
 - They already have Dan Haren
 - Edwin Jackson is supposed to have HUGE upside and could realize this potential in a large ballpark.

If they have a 1-2-3 of Webb, Haren and Jackson that's an unbelievable front end of the rotation.  The Yankees had a marginal bullpen which is largely covered up by Rivera.  If the D-backs can get the same production out of their bullpen as the Yankees did, I think their top three starters could make them the favorite in the west which only really has the Dodgers as a strong team.

Add a couple of bats and the D-backs could be really good in the short-term with this deal.  It's the long-term that hurts them.

I still think Jackson is a wild card, Scherzer was very good at home, lots of raw potential to be a high K guy.  Jackson had one good year and faded at the end.

I think the Yankees gave up a lot for Granderson, though they are likely to move Melky now.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #10: December 08, 2009, 06:40:12 PM »
i was pissed when i first heard about the deal until i heard they gave up austin jackson. it's a decent deal for all sides.