Author Topic: Minty's "do you still play" thread  (Read 58203 times)

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
Re: Minty's "do you still play" thread
« Reply #450: May 25, 2016, 11:36:01 PM »
The Lexol darkened it quite a bit. I wasn't going for looks, so I don't mind, but good to know if I do this again ha. I used Wilson conditioner, which definitely loosened it up. Gotta repair those holes (putting a small patch in behind the lining -- not sure if it's a good or bad idea (can't find any examples online), but I'm doing it anyways), but then it's on to lacing it up and getting some PT with it!

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #451: May 26, 2016, 08:37:53 AM »
The Lexol darkened it quite a bit. I wasn't going for looks, so I don't mind, but good to know if I do this again ha. I used Wilson conditioner, which definitely loosened it up. Gotta repair those holes (putting a small patch in behind the lining -- not sure if it's a good or bad idea (can't find any examples online), but I'm doing it anyways), but then it's on to lacing it up and getting some PT with it!

:woop:  :whip:

:clap:

Offline HattoriHanzo

• expos/Nats fan since 1980
« Reply #452: May 27, 2016, 09:52:33 PM »
I love my SSK gloves, but they are harder to get in the US these days.

Do you like the old school ones with the dimpled pockets? Our 3B in college swore by them. We didn't have a glove  contract since this was in the 80s. We only had a crappy converse shoe deal. Those spikes really hurt especially because we played on a hard astroturf surface. 

Offline HattoriHanzo

« Reply #453: May 31, 2016, 09:03:18 PM »
How many of you guys play in wood bat leagues? 

I checked into ssk gloves and there's some really nice ones out there between $300 and $500 bucks on ebay and some japan sites. I want to pick up a glove for 2B/3B as I'm the emergency 2B/3B and I feel stupid using my OF glove whenever I have to play the infield, but don't want to go too nuts on it as CF/RF is my normal position.  I don't want to have to pick up 2 different gloves for each infield position so I'll probably get a 2B I-web and use that instead of a 3B single post or other larger infield glove. I'll try to pick up a sha /do elite J or some other japanese glove company that you don't see too often here.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #454: June 01, 2016, 09:47:52 AM »
Dang man, with that budget, you could get this Nokona! The trap I might be a little more than you're wanting, but could still be a solid 3B glove. http://nokona.mybigcommerce.com/l-1150/

Bet you could find it cheaper elsewhere, too.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #455: June 01, 2016, 11:22:00 AM »
How many of you guys play in wood bat leagues? 

I checked into ssk gloves and there's some really nice ones out there between $300 and $500 bucks on ebay and some japan sites. I want to pick up a glove for 2B/3B as I'm the emergency 2B/3B and I feel stupid using my OF glove whenever I have to play the infield, but don't want to go too nuts on it as CF/RF is my normal position.  I don't want to have to pick up 2 different gloves for each infield position so I'll probably get a 2B I-web and use that instead of a 3B single post or other larger infield glove. I'll try to pick up a sha /do elite J or some other japanese glove company that you don't see too often here.

*raises hand*  (how do we not have an emoji for hand raising?)

Most of the leagues around the country are switching to wood bats and the MSBL tournaments are becoming largely wood bat tourneys as well.

My infielders mitt is a 10 1/2" variety.  I love the smaller mitts and actually play the OF occasionally with it.  I've only got the two - catchers and infielders.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #456: June 01, 2016, 11:24:48 AM »
I went to the driving range yesterday.    As I walked past the batting cages   ...   it crossed my mind.    I let it go.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #457: June 01, 2016, 11:26:09 AM »
I went to the driving range yesterday.    As I walked past the batting cages   ...   it crossed my mind.    I let it go.

:tomatoes:

Offline mitlen

« Reply #458: June 01, 2016, 11:28:26 AM »
:tomatoes:

I gave it serious consideration   ...   just to see.    I'm afraid I'd never catch up with a 50 40 30 MPH machine.

:cheers:    Beerman    :)

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #459: June 01, 2016, 11:53:35 AM »
Hey Mint, in the non-competitive leagues, what do the guys typically throw? I honestly don't think I could plate anything over 65/70.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #460: June 01, 2016, 11:55:06 AM »
*raises hand*  (how do we not have an emoji for hand raising?)

Most of the leagues around the country are switching to wood bats and the MSBL tournaments are becoming largely wood bat tourneys as well.

My infielders mitt is a 10 1/2" variety.  I love the smaller mitts and actually play the OF occasionally with it.  I've only got the two - catchers and infielders.

Have you tried that Pedoria fit? I slide one on while getting the goop, and that thing seemed nice.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #461: June 01, 2016, 11:57:39 AM »
Hey Mint, in the non-competitive leagues, what do the guys typically throw? I honestly don't think I could plate anything over 65/70.

My best guys throw 75 or so, most sit around 70-75.  We just had a team pick up an ex-pro (never made it beyond A-Ball) and he throws 90.  He threw six innings and struck out 17 guys.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #462: June 01, 2016, 12:01:47 PM »
Have you tried that Pedoria fit? I slide one on while getting the goop, and that thing seemed nice.

Not yet.  It's just not easy to find anything new under 11".

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #463: June 01, 2016, 12:19:59 PM »
My best guys throw 75 or so, most sit around 70-75.  We just had a team pick up an ex-pro (never made it beyond A-Ball) and he throws 90.  He threw six innings and struck out 17 guys.

I'd crap my pants at a 90 MPH pitch.  :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #464: June 01, 2016, 12:41:07 PM »

It's not as scary as it is unhittable at this level.  It's only scary if he's wild and he's not. 

It was funny to see the catcher not able to handle it, though.  They had seven put-outs at first base due to the catcher dropping strike 3.  :lmao:

Also, it's really cool to see this guy knock guys down a few pegs.  A lot of guys think they could hack it at A-Ball or AA-Ball and this kid who only played three years at A-Ball comes in and mows guys down.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #465: June 01, 2016, 02:03:28 PM »
It's not as scary as it is unhittable at this level.  It's only scary if he's wild and he's not. 

It was funny to see the catcher not able to handle it, though.  They had seven put-outs at first base due to the catcher dropping strike 3.  :lmao:

Also, it's really cool to see this guy knock guys down a few pegs.  A lot of guys think they could hack it at A-Ball or AA-Ball and this kid who only played three years at A-Ball comes in and mows guys down.

I can't even meat up on 70, so 90 would be hilarious to see. I may check out the schedule for a non-competitive league and just see what they're about.

I mean, from the sound of some of your posts, you guys are playing legit (albeit older) competition from time to time. I'm sure some young guys probably do puff their chest ha.

Offline whytev

« Reply #466: June 01, 2016, 04:47:44 PM »

We have a guy or two who touch 75 as well. Nothing faster.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #467: June 01, 2016, 05:01:43 PM »

HS acquaintance of mine, a little younger than me, knew John Burkett when he bowled as a kid.    Guy played a little ball in HS.    Runs into Burkett in the off season and tells Burkett, "I can hit you."     The story is really funny.     Essentially, it didn't go well.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #468: June 01, 2016, 06:15:18 PM »
Do you like the old school ones with the dimpled pockets? Our 3B in college swore by them. We didn't have a glove  contract since this was in the 80s. We only had a crappy converse shoe deal. Those spikes really hurt especially because we played on a hard astroturf surface. 
I had a catchers mitt with the dimpled pocket, loaned it to a kids on my son's little league team, moved to CT at end of season a few weeks later. Never saw that glove again. That was a great mitt.

My infielders glove has the Wrap-Lock closure on the back, love the way that glove moves.

I bought them 15ish years ago when they were being sold in the US. I believe that I bought the catchers mitt at Slopers in Manassas.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #469: June 02, 2016, 12:12:01 AM »
Here's the final before & after of the A2000. Lots of lessons learned, if I do this again. The patching in the fingers is holding, but we'll see after some more PT and the glove breaks back in. Feels nice though. Color is still super dark from the Lexol, but I kind of like it (the natural color wasn't coming back after it was treated so poorly). The palm looks rough in the pics, but the Lexol and conditioner really smoothed it out and made it soft. I'd get thicker laces next time around, I think. The older gloves seemed to use 1/8" or 3/16", but a thicker lace may be nice. I just grabbed the thickest lace possible -- no colors. Maybe next time.

http://imgur.com/gallery/BjyLt/new

Offline HattoriHanzo

« Reply #470: June 02, 2016, 12:19:15 PM »
Dang man, with that budget, you could get this Nokona! The trap I might be a little more than you're wanting, but could still be a solid 3B glove. http://nokona.mybigcommerce.com/l-1150/

Bet you could find it cheaper elsewhere, too.

I have a thing for Japan made gloves.  The quality is so much better and my hobbies are small so I'm willing to spend absurd amounts of money on my hobbies. Not having kids helps with buying expensive stuff I really don't need.

The ssk talk lead me to eBay and I saw a ssk probrain master built glove on eBay that looks sweet. Even nicer than most of the mizuno pros made in Japan that I typically like. Also considering zett and a brand called Xanax. Lol. There's a company called swallow sports that will ship to USA so it's them or eBay. There's also Japan made ASICS, under Armour, and wilson/rawlings on that site. All are pricey too. At 47 I have a few more or maybe one more season left. My ankles and feet hurt the day after games. My flat feet isn't helping either. 

I have yet to find a wood bat company and model/turn that use consistently.  I have never felt comfortable with wood so I keep changing it up. A victus 141 is what I'm currently using. Tucci has a Bryce Harper model that I doubt I'd like but would be OK to hang on the wall. I'm also wondering if the propact finish is worth the money from victus. I'd also like to buy a Chandler someday. There's just too many companies and models to choose from and I don't like asking guys to use their bats.

The tournament didn't go our way and a team from LA took our division.  We are hoping to recruit victorino if he is done with his pro career.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #471: June 02, 2016, 12:56:39 PM »
I have yet to find a wood bat company and model/turn that use consistently.  I have never felt comfortable with wood so I keep changing it up. A victus 141 is what I'm currently using. Tucci has a Bryce Harper model that I doubt I'd like but would be OK to hang on the wall. I'm also wondering if the propact finish is worth the money from victus. I'd also like to buy a Chandler someday. There's just too many companies and models to choose from and I don't like asking guys to use their bats.

The tournament didn't go our way and a team from LA took our division.  We are hoping to recruit victorino if he is done with his pro career.

I'm partial to my hometown bat maker - the Barnstable Bat Co.  They make bats for the Cape League.

No matter who you go with, I have found that birch is the best wood and lasts the longest - it doesn't flake like ash over time and has a bit more flex to it than maple so you get less shattered bats.  It's typically more expensive than ash but right on par with maple - cost-wise.

And I usually go with two different turns - like a 110 (even taper) for harder throwing pitchers and a 273 (loaded end) for the soft tossers.

At 47 I have a few more or maybe one more season left.  My ankles and feet hurt the day after games. My flat feet isn't helping either.

That's bullcrap!  Make them carry your corpse off the field!   :whip:

Offline HattoriHanzo

« Reply #472: June 03, 2016, 04:09:52 PM »
I once owned a bamboo bat when I had to start using wood because I heard that they lasted longer than other types of wood and it did last longer than most of my other bats, but if you got jammed, that bat hurt your hands like no other. I have owned only one birch bat and didn't like it as much as maple, but it could be the turn that I got it in.

What bat length and weights do you guys go with? I'm either a 33" -3 or a 32.5" -3 guy. At 5'8" 180 lbs I'm a shorter guy use shorter bats.

I saw pics of the upcoming Nike hybrid cleats. That might help with my foot issues (arch pain) although I must say that NB is way more comfortable than any Nike/adidas/converse/reebok/asics set of cleats that I've owned in my lifetime and probably should stick to NB. I've also heard that UA shoes are really comfortable too, but have never tried them. I expect the Harper One cleats to be popular here in vegas in the 45+ and other older divisions. Most of us play with mid cuts.

I found pics of my holy grail glove. It's hand made by the same guy who designs and makes Ichiro's personal gloves.

http://glove-works.getforum.org/post83332.html#p83332

http://glove-works.getforum.org/post84024.html#p84024

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #473: June 03, 2016, 04:33:46 PM »
Harp Ones are already out? Maybe it's another UA brand. Thought I saw some though.

That glove's a thing of beauty. Any luck with ebay for one?

If anyone's interested, that A2000 is holding up great. I reformed the pocket and it's still super lightweight, even after the goop!

Offline HattoriHanzo

« Reply #474: June 03, 2016, 07:09:50 PM »
Harp Ones are already out? Maybe it's another UA brand. Thought I saw some though.

That glove's a thing of beauty. Any luck with ebay for one?

If anyone's interested, that A2000 is holding up great. I reformed the pocket and it's still super lightweight, even after the goop!

Harp one's are out in july. I've never tried UA cleats before, but are a somewhat popular choice in the league I'm in.

Have looked on ebay for one of those Haga Crafted gloves for several years and haven't found one yet. I'll have to contact that guy on that glove forum or try swallow sports as they probably can get it. But I kinda want to try some other brand I haven't tried before like zett, xanax, or asics. I wonder who makes the under armour gloves that is being sold in japan. They are probably the most expensive off the shelf gloves in japan as they are in the 600 buck range.

The only A2000 OF glove I owned was an outfield model with the dial on the back to tighten the glove. That was a bad purchase. Leather seemed cheaper than the regular A2000 lineup at the time and the tightening dial mechanism just didn't feel right.   I really liked the wilson A2000 catchers mitt I owned a long time ago. That's my extent of wilson glove experience. I've owned a lot more rawlings and mizuno gloves. The only outfield glove I really didn't like was a HOH trapeze similar to the one Griffey used. I'll never own another six finger trapeze again. The six finger trapeze webbing just felt weird to play with and was very heavy.