Author Topic: Microsoft thread  (Read 62539 times)

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
Re: Microsoft thread
« Reply #650: June 20, 2012, 08:15:36 PM »
Heh.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #651: June 20, 2012, 09:19:41 PM »
People are dumbasses. I had a tablet PC, heavy as crap. Laptop that rotates into a tablet, and as heavy as any laptop. But I've always known and always desperately wanted a tablet, because a handheld PC is god. I kept an eye on digital paper/ink, ala original Kindle, as I figured that, a flexible paper thin display, would be the breakthrough. But it hasn't advanced far enough, then came the iPad. I waited in line day one. You had all these apple fanbois at Tysons, and people we polling to see what the use would be.

9 out of ten said it would just be a toy they'd basically never use. Fast forward to today, and the tablet is god. I still can't believe people didn't understand how insanely awesome tablets were, and how useful they would be. Now everyone was always just waiting for the iPad. Hell, when the iPad came out nationally, everyone said the same thing, it was a toy. I was the same with MP3 players, bought my first, a 16mb Diamond Rio, in 99, long before the iPod was a twinkle in Jobs' ballsack. God, if only there had been a way to invest in those two things, I'd have been freaking rich.

But to this day, and more so as Tablets become even more popular, it drives me nuts the initial reaction to tablets, even when the iPad came out. How could a handheld, ultra light, compooter not be insanely awesome?

By the by, got my new Acer Iconia coming tomorrow. First Android with 1920x1200 resolution. Was going to wait for the Asus, but their constant delays, no release, and admitting they didn't have enough to meet demand, plus extra price? I anticipate buying a Windows 8 ARM tablet the day it's released, so figured this would keep me satisfied until the Surface comes out. It literally pains me to not have the Super IPS display, which is just freaking incredible if one has never seen it in action. Turned on, it makes viewing a tablet in bright sunlight as bright and easy as reading an iPad in a dark room. Its that freaking amazing, and it eats the battery like a two dollar hooker. And, even as an iPad fanboi turned Android fanboi when Android beat the crap out of iOS with ICS plus Transformer Prime by ASUS, Surface is going to pwn them all. No question about it. All the features plus the insanely awesome cover that's a keyboard? So long as Windows 8 on tablets doesn't suck, and there's plenty of third party app support and development, Microsoft is going to win.

And that win is going to be insane going forward. People are starting to abandon the PC and Windows for iPad since there's next to zero inter connectivity between them. Surface will ensure desktop Windows doesnt die out, which looked like a possibility as more people abandoned it for the completely isolated Android and iOS handhelds. Microsoft needs Surface to succeed or they're in deep crap, and it looks like they've got an insanely awesome, well designed, well supported, and top of the line unit coming down the pipes. Only thing that might rape them is high price and the two chipset, with standard IBM desktop being an over a grand price point. They should have taken the loss, went with the IBM chipset solely, and tried to destroy Apple by eating a couple hundred bucks for every unit sold until manufacturing costs lowered enough to break even.

Offline PC

« Reply #652: June 20, 2012, 09:23:01 PM »
Microsoft has already promised upgrade paths for new wp8 phones, so it seems like the problem is just google now. I'm ditching the iPhone soon- iOS 6 is infuriating to me, and I'll probably go with an android, but the lack of google support is part of the reason I'm waffling

Go Windows Phone 8!

Offline PC

« Reply #653: June 20, 2012, 09:27:52 PM »
If I bought a top of the line nexus (which, considering microsoft's involvement, the luminia 900 was) or iphone, and less than two months after release , Apple or google told me that not only was my phone not upgradeable (again a flagship phone with an initial release less than two months ago), but also, because they changed the codebase, apps released for WP8 wont be comparable and the number apps for wp7 is likely as high as it will every be (ie pathetic compared to android and ios), I'd be pissed

Not true because Windows Phone 8 apps will also be Windows 8 apps and Windows 8 tablet app.  There will be far more Windows Phone 8 apps than ios and android combined and multiplied many times.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #654: June 20, 2012, 09:35:55 PM »
which is meaningless if you have 7.8 and can't run those apps, the Lumia 900 was released in april, and already has been abandoned

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #656: June 22, 2012, 11:18:33 AM »
This intrigues me. Essentially could replace my netbook. Especially if it comes with HDMI out

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #657: June 22, 2012, 12:21:49 PM »
which is meaningless if you have 7.8 and can't run those apps, the Lumia 900 was released in april, and already has been abandoned

DON'T TRY BRINGING LOGIC INTO THIS DISCUSSION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline PC

« Reply #658: July 05, 2012, 11:33:42 PM »
Windows 8 Pro Upgrade To Cost Just $40 During Special Promotion

Microsoft announced on Monday that it will allow users of Windows XP, Vista, or 7 to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for only $40 as part of a special promotion when the new OS becomes generally available later this year. This is, by far, the lowest upgrade pricing Microsoft has ever offered for Windows, and an exceptional value.

But you’ll need to act fast, as the promotional upgrade pricing will be in effect for a short time: It starts at the general availability of Windows 8 and last through January 31, 2013.

“We’ve continued to listen to our customers and have expanded the ability to download Windows 8 to over 100 countries and 37 languages, a post on Microsoft’s Blogging Windows site notes. “We have simplified the Windows upgrade experience with the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant which supports you during your upgrade with everything from selecting your language to pausing your download to built-in compatibility checks - it’s seamless. And if you’re an enthusiast, you will have the flexibility to download and control how you upgrade.”

The $40 pricing applies to electronically downloaded versions of the software that are installed via Windows 8’s new web-based installer at Windows.com. (Coincidentally, I just wrote about using the web-based installer on Monday as well.) If you prefer retail packaging and a physical disc, you can obtain the Windows 8 Pro upgrade during this promotion for $70.

Additionally, Microsoft announced that those who upgrade to Windows 8 Pro through this special promotion will be able to purchase the Windows Media Center add-in pack for free during the promotional period as well. Microsoft previously said that Media Center would be made available to Pro users for a small, as-yet-unannounced fee.

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/paul-thurrotts-wininfo/windows-8-pro-upgrade-cost-40-special-promotion-143592

Offline PC

« Reply #659: July 05, 2012, 11:34:45 PM »
Also, they killed off Windows Home Server today...

Offline PC

« Reply #660: July 08, 2012, 10:08:34 PM »

According to Mary Jo Foley at allaboutmicrosoft.com, you also can get the $40 price if you're running the Windows 8 Release Preview.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #661: July 09, 2012, 06:45:47 AM »
I'd rather spend that on some of the less toothy options on BackPage.com.

Offline PC

« Reply #662: July 09, 2012, 02:06:42 PM »
Windows 8 To RTM In Early August, GA In Late October

As part of its 2012 Worldwide Partner Conference keynote address on Monday, Microsoft announced that it was “on track” to release Windows 8 to manufacturing in the first week of August. Furthermore, the software giant plans to make Windows 8 available to customers via new PC purchases and software upgrades “at the end of October.”

“The wait is almost over,” Microsoft corporate vice president Tami Reller said during the WPC keynote address. “Windows 8 will be available in 109 languages across 231 markets worldwide. This is unprecedented reach and opportunity for [Microsoft’s partners] and their customers.”

This newly revealed schedule is a bit later than expected, and later than Microsoft’s internal projections, which slate RTM (release to manufacturing) to occur by July 21 at the latest. As a result, the company was widely expected to make Windows 8 generally available in September, about a month earlier than the publicly announced schedule.

I still expect Microsoft to announce Windows 8 RTM before August, allowing it to “beat” its arbitrarily created schedule. But it’s unlikely the software giant would change its schedule for general availability, given the number of partners and retailers involved.

Microsoft also revealed that, as usual, its enterprise customers would gain early access to the “complete” Windows 8 “bits”, in this case “as early as August,” or shortly after the product RTMs. Microsoft didn’t announce when its MSDN or TechNet subscribers would gain access to Windows 8, but this availability usually occurs shortly after the release to enterprises.

In related news, Microsoft also announced that Windows 7 has sold 630 million licenses since its release in October 2009. The current Windows version is installed on over half of all enterprise desktops, Microsoft says.

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/paul-thurrotts-wininfo/microsoft-windows-8-rtm-early-august-ga-late-october-143630

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #663: July 09, 2012, 03:29:04 PM »
Does Paul Allen charge you rent for riding on his nuts?

Offline PC

« Reply #664: July 16, 2012, 06:52:48 PM »
Office 2013 Customer Preview is out!  :metal:

http://office.com/preview

Unless you have a TechNet subscription, you're going to have to brush off that Hotmail account that you have lying around because you'll need it to download it.  Microsoft is pushing the cloud with Office 2013 so it actually installs via Office 365 as opposed to a big .EXE or .ISO file.

If you have a TechNet sub, as I do, you can get the .exe file without the cloud. 

Paul Thurrott has a voluminous about of info  at winsupersite.com, including Office on Demand.  This is the technology that allows you to run Office 2013 alongside Office 2010, and 2007.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #665: July 16, 2012, 07:00:58 PM »
Wow, if this were 2003 somebody other than you might be excited.

Offline PC

« Reply #666: July 16, 2012, 11:08:32 PM »
Wow, if this were 2003 somebody other than you might be excited.

Actually, you should be excited.  It's a very good update to a very good product.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #667: July 17, 2012, 06:23:39 AM »
Actually, you should be excited.  It's a very good update to a very good product.

Microsoft Office is for hosers.

Offline PC

« Reply #668: July 19, 2012, 05:24:17 AM »
Mark you calendars...if you still have a calendar!!!

Windows 8 goes on sale on October 26th.  And it's supposed to RTM in early August and if memory serves me correctly and they follow a similar path as they did with Windows 7, TechNet and MSDN subscribers should get the bits about a week after RTM.

Also, for a first, they're killing the full versions. Windows 8 will only come in upgrade versions, which is a wise decision.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #669: July 19, 2012, 07:30:48 AM »

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #670: July 19, 2012, 08:32:47 AM »
you're joking right? how does one install on a bare drive?

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #671: July 19, 2012, 09:43:53 AM »
Welcome back, Chief!

Offline PC

« Reply #672: July 19, 2012, 01:19:38 PM »
you're joking right? how does one install on a bare drive?

With the upgrade media, apparently.  I have TechNet (and MSDN) so I haven't used upgrade media is so long, I can't remember how it works.  This upgrade media doesn't check for an existing install, I guess.

And, really, the number of people who've never bought a copy of XP, Vista or 7 is incredibly small.  It's wise to not make decisions just for them.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #673: July 19, 2012, 07:31:31 PM »
With the upgrade media, apparently.  I have TechNet (and MSDN) so I haven't used upgrade media is so long, I can't remember how it works.  This upgrade media doesn't check for an existing install, I guess.

And, really, the number of people who've never bought a copy of XP, Vista or 7 is incredibly small.  It's wise to not make decisions just for them.

So I gotta install an OS to install an OS.  Brilliant :roll:  Not to mention frying to get the Hit activated first.

Offline PC

« Reply #674: July 19, 2012, 07:56:04 PM »
So I gotta install an OS to install an OS.  Brilliant :roll:  Not to mention frying to get the Hit activated first.

No, I'm guessing that the upgrade media will install to a blank hard drive.  The assumption is that, at some point, you've bought a copy of XP, Vista or 7 or a computer that came with one of them already installed, which almost everyone has.  The Windows 8 upgrade media doesn't have to actually "see" it.  It just assumes you have it, which is true for the vast majority of users.

There are after all, 1.3 billion Windows users in the world.  My guess is that most of them aren't still using Windows 2000 or earlier and if they are, their computers are so old, they likely don't have the necessary hardware to run Windows 8 so they couldn't do the install anyway.

And if you have a "modern computer"and you're running some other OS but could run Windows, Microsoft would rather you buy the upgrade media than nothing.