Author Topic: Follow The Prospects: Brian Goodwin, CF  (Read 52517 times)

Offline redskinsJB321

Re: Follow The Prospects: Brian Goodwin, CF
« Reply #350: August 14, 2014, 02:02:50 PM »
There is no official injury report, but I have seen rumors that he has a separated shoulder. 

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #351: August 18, 2014, 11:53:29 PM »
There is no official injury report, but I have seen rumors that he has a separated shoulder. 

Hmmm. Not good assuming it's his throwing shoulder. I think (vaguely remember) that was the injury that almost ended Roy Sievers' career, and convinced the bush league Baltimore Orioles to trade Sievers to the Nats. Bill Veeck had worked with Roy to re-train him to play 1B. New owners moved the Browns to Baltimore and traded Sievers to Washington where he hit home runs and we didn't worry that he couldn't make a power-throw from left.

Offline Glockypoo

« Reply #352: August 19, 2014, 10:43:58 AM »
Hmmm. Not good assuming it's his throwing shoulder. I think (vaguely remember) that was the injury that almost ended Roy Sievers' career, and convinced the bush league Baltimore Orioles to trade Sievers to the Nats. Bill Veeck had worked with Roy to re-train him to play 1B. New owners moved the Browns to Baltimore and traded Sievers to Washington where he hit home runs and we didn't worry that he couldn't make a power-throw from left.

LOL!

Come on man, we know you hate Goodwin but a separated shoulder isn't a big deal.

It's not 1965 anymore. Sports medicine has come a long way over the past 50 years.

Offline Burgess

• K MONSTER!
« Reply #353: August 20, 2014, 01:21:40 AM »
With Taylor, Span its gonna  be even harder for guys like Goodwinn and Hood to crack the lineup. Span does things that Hood and Goodwin are capable of but both of them have more pop for sure but both are still not better then Taylor sadly or Souza

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #354: August 20, 2014, 01:28:11 AM »
With Taylor, Span its gonna  be even harder for guys like Goodwinn and Hood to crack the lineup. Span does things that Hood and Goodwin are capable of but both of them have more pop for sure but both are still not better then Taylor sadly or Souza

Why even compare Goodwin and Hood? One is still a major prospect, the other, not so much.

Offline Burgess

• K MONSTER!
« Reply #355: August 20, 2014, 01:47:23 AM »
Yeah Hood is LF btw I didnt know. Hood is like 7 months older then goodwin only and was a supplemental round pick .Goodwin is still young and I have hopes for him. If he can keep that OBP and hit for more pop who knows

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #356: August 20, 2014, 01:53:27 AM »
Yeah Hood is LF btw I didnt know. Hood is like 7 months older then goodwin only and was a supplemental round pick .Goodwin is still young and I have hopes for him. If he can keep that OBP and hit for more pop who knows

I still have ever belief that Goodwin will be a stud in a few years.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #357: August 20, 2014, 08:57:11 AM »
Looks like he's had a spike in infield flies, Ks, and has had a drop in power HR per outfield fly.
http://www.minorleaguecentral.com/player?pid=571718
Only good thing I see there is the increase in walks, but I think this is the kind of profile (low power, high Ks, high walks) that usually has a drop in walks in the majors facing pitchers who don't fear getting taken deep.  He'll need to repeat AAA.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #358: August 20, 2014, 09:50:52 AM »
Probably has a lot to do with his busted shoulder, no?

Offline welch

« Reply #359: August 21, 2014, 10:12:21 PM »
Probably has a lot to do with his busted shoulder, no?

Probably the bad shoulder, but Goodwin's 2013 was not spectacular. No reason to assume then or now that Goodwin should replace Denard Span.

Yes, Roy Sievers had a separated shoulder in 1951 and dislocated his arm in 1952. However, Sievers could hit. (See: http://www.baseballtoddsdugout.com/roysievers.html). Sports medicine does not seem to have advanced much in treatment of a separated shoulder since 1952: mostly rest and keep the arm in a sling.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #360: October 11, 2014, 02:13:44 PM »
http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/a-minor-league-review-of-2014-marlins-mets-nationals/
The Tumbler: Brian Goodwin, OF: Goodwin, a former highly-regarded draft pick, was supposed to be everything that Taylor has become… but his career took a significant dip in 2014. While dealing with injuries that limited him to 81 games, this athletic outfielder saw his batting average dip to .212 and he struggled to drive the ball. Just 23, he’ll look to reestablish himself as a serious prospect with a return engagement to Triple-A in 2015.
Not a list you want to make.

Online Slateman

« Reply #361: October 11, 2014, 03:31:15 PM »
Injured?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #362: November 20, 2014, 05:29:15 PM »
added to 40 man roster

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #363: November 21, 2014, 09:31:28 AM »
Two years from now he will be released to make room for someone else on the 40 man

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #364: November 21, 2014, 10:58:14 AM »
Two years from now he will be released to make room for someone else on the 40 man
A season like 2014 in 2015 and it may not be 2 years.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #365: November 21, 2014, 02:31:39 PM »
Goodwin will be a quality CF'er.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #366: November 21, 2014, 02:34:18 PM »
Goodwin will be a quality CF'er.

In what league? MiLB? Japan? Winter ball in the Dominican ? Venezuela?

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #367: November 21, 2014, 02:59:58 PM »
He definitely struggle the first season at a new level, I'll say that for him. This year's a big year for him to prove he can make adjustments in AAA.

I think he's certainly helped by the fact that the offensive threshold is so low these days. I still don't see a reason he can't turn into Desmond Jennings (.248/.327/.401 lifetime).

Online Slateman

« Reply #368: November 21, 2014, 08:20:18 PM »
It's early?

Offline welch

« Reply #369: November 21, 2014, 10:37:52 PM »
Michael Taylor or Brian Goodwin in CF at Syracuse? Assuming Sousa is 4th or 5th OF in Washington.

Offline whytev

« Reply #370: November 21, 2014, 10:41:45 PM »
Michael Taylor or Brian Goodwin in CF at Syracuse? Assuming Sousa is 4th or 5th OF in Washington.

Souza is gonna have to compete for that role with Taylor. He gets a slight edge for his ability to play 1B, if he still has it. I expect to see him getting some playing time there in ST to see how he backs up Face. But if Taylor goes on a tear in ST while Souza struggles, I could see Taylor getting the nod.

Taylor could get moved to the corner in AAA because he needs practice there more. He's clearly the priority over Goodwin at this point.

Offline whytev

« Reply #371: March 13, 2015, 01:01:34 PM »
Where is Goodwin anyway? Still hurt?

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #372: March 13, 2015, 03:31:15 PM »
Where is Goodwin anyway? Still hurt?

I think he's around, I thought I saw about a tweet about him spending time working on baserunning with Werth.

Offline whytev

« Reply #373: March 13, 2015, 06:36:26 PM »
I think he's around, I thought I saw about a tweet about him spending time working on baserunning with Werth.

I saw that too.

It's interesting they are playing literally everyone but him in the OF...even guys who have barely played there in the past.

Offline natasaurus

« Reply #374: March 14, 2015, 06:37:31 PM »
I saw that too.

It's interesting they are playing literally everyone but him in the OF...even guys who have barely played there in the past.

Not too surprising considering he's rehabbing a shoulder injury and hasn't started playing in games yet.