Author Topic: Nationals vs Pirates, Game 1  (Read 13641 times)

Offline hammondsnats

Re: Nationals vs Pirates, Game 1
« Reply #225: May 01, 2008, 09:42:53 PM »
i started doing the wookie photos I want to say in the 06 season for rauch. 

came up nicknames for ak47, kid clutch (zimm), the professional hitter (nj), ronnie baseball and i think that's all from what i can remember right now. 

Offline Air Zimmerman

• best 3b in the business
« Reply #226: May 01, 2008, 09:43:52 PM »
and how long are they planning on keeping dukes in potomac? until he proves he can hit minor league pitching? i am pretty sure he already did that playing with the rays.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #227: May 01, 2008, 09:46:10 PM »
and how long are they planning on keeping dukes in potomac? until he proves he can hit minor league pitching? i am pretty sure he already did that playing with the rays.

New season. He needs to prove it again.

« Reply #228: May 01, 2008, 09:49:41 PM »
Dukes is being moved to Columbus to face tougher hitting. JimBo has said it will be his bat that determines his return. If he lights it up, then fine, he returns to the Nats. If he sucks, he rots in Columbus until he proves he can hang with the big boys.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #229: May 01, 2008, 09:50:26 PM »
We now have a better record than Pittsburgh, San Diego, Colorado, Texas, and have the same record as Toronto and Cincinnati. We're also only 4 games out of first place in the NL East.  :clap:

We've also already had our worst slump/losing streak of the season.  Several other teams have yet to go through the inevitable long losing streak that happens to every team over the course of a 162 game season.

Offline Air Zimmerman

« Reply #230: May 01, 2008, 09:51:01 PM »
New season. He needs to prove it again.

ya, there's no point in calling him up. our offense doesn't need the jolt.  :roll:

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #231: May 01, 2008, 09:53:36 PM »
I hope they keep him in Potomac (permanently).  He is 0/9 with 2 Ks so far playing in High A ball. He doesn't belong here.
Oh jeez. Jimbo says Lo Duca needs at least four at bats (4!) before coming back and starting.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #232: May 01, 2008, 09:53:55 PM »
Should not have bunted Nieves. 

Late to the thread, my internet connectivity crashed during the game and I just got it back.

I agree, the decision to bunt arguably our hottest hitter was a poor strategy.  Boone's shot would have moved the runner to second anyway, but with only one out.  We basically lost a shot at moving the runner without giving up an out.

Statistically, there is no advantage to having a runner on 2nd with 1 out vs. a runner on first with 0 outs, yet managers remain obsessed with trying to make this happen.

« Reply #233: May 01, 2008, 09:54:44 PM »
ya, there's no point in calling him up. our offense doesn't need the jolt.  :roll:

Oh yeah, a guy hitting in Class A Potomac, and has gone 3-for-14 (.215) with an RBI is the exact jolt we need. :roll:

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #234: May 01, 2008, 09:55:02 PM »
We now have a better record than Pittsburgh, San Diego, Colorado, Texas, and have the same record as Toronto and Cincinnati. We're also only 4 games out of first place in the NL East.  :clap:

We've also already had our worst slump/losing streak of the season.  Several other teams have yet to go through the inevitable long losing streak that happens to every team over the course of an 162 game season.

May is when the gaps start widening between the top and bottom teams in each division. No more of the better teams that happen to be in the same divisions beating up on each other. This is when the Red Sox and Yankees usually take over the AL East. Hopefully we can keep up w/ the "big dogs" in our division.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #235: May 01, 2008, 09:55:04 PM »
Dukes is being moved to Columbus to face tougher hitting. JimBo has said it will be his bat that determines his return. If he lights it up, then fine, he returns to the Nats. If he sucks, he rots in Columbus until he proves he can hang with the big boys.

I'd like to see him outhit Langerhans before getting promoted. 

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #236: May 01, 2008, 09:56:29 PM »
i started doing the wookie photos I want to say in the 06 season for rauch. 

came up nicknames for ak47, kid clutch (zimm), the professional hitter (nj), ronnie baseball and i think that's all from what i can remember right now. 
My nicknames are on permanent file in my signature. :) I call Zimmerman "Dan the Man" or "Danny Boy", depending on how he's doing [click for explanation], Schroder is the Piano Man, the others are easy. :)

Offline Air Zimmerman

« Reply #237: May 01, 2008, 09:57:35 PM »

that's actually the next best scenario! the clippers visit Buffalo for a four game series May 30-June 2!!!!!

:woop: :woop:

i would hope that he's up by then, but if not...i will be able to watch dukes tear it up LIVE for four games straight!

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #238: May 01, 2008, 09:57:50 PM »
May is when the gaps start widening between the top and bottom teams in each division. No more of the better teams that happen to be in the same divisions beating up on each other. This is when the Red Sox and Yankees usually take over the AL East. Hopefully we can keep up w/ the "big dogs" in our division.
May has perennially been the month where we kick ass.  Almost every year we go on a monstrous tear during the month of May after a slow start.  We have weathered an early storm, something we didn't do last year, and are poised for .500 and above.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #239: May 01, 2008, 09:58:55 PM »
Oh yeah, a guy hitting in Class A Potomac, and has gone 3-for-14 (.215) with an RBI is the exact jolt we need. :roll:
Lo Duca is 0-for-9 (.000) and they plan on calling him up either tomorrow or Saturday.  Pointless. 

« Reply #240: May 01, 2008, 10:00:00 PM »
Lo Duca is 0-for-9 (.000) and they plan on calling him up either tomorrow or Saturday.  Pointless. 

I'd rather not see either them at this time.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #241: May 01, 2008, 10:03:52 PM »
Yesterday Ladson's headline for the game wrap was "Lopez is hero." Today's? "Kearns is hero."

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #242: May 01, 2008, 10:07:38 PM »
Yesterday Ladson's headline for the game wrap was "Lopez is hero." Today's? "Kearns is hero."
He's terrible.

Looks like Lo Duca will indeed be called up in time before tomorrow's game. If he gets the start tomorrow and breaks up the Nieves-Lannan battery I will be incensed. 

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #243: May 01, 2008, 10:12:18 PM »
Looks like Lo Duca will indeed be called up in time before tomorrow's game. If he gets the start tomorrow and breaks up the Nieves-Lannan battery I will be incensed. 

After what Manny said about how well Nieves and Lannan have worked together, I doubt he'd do that. Lo Duca will probably pinch hit, though, w/ us having 3 catchers and all.

MrMadison

« Reply #244: May 01, 2008, 10:13:31 PM »
that's actually the next best scenario! the clippers visit Buffalo for a four game series May 30-June 2!!!!!

:woop: :woop:

i would hope that he's up by then, but if not...i will be able to watch dukes tear it up LIVE for four games straight!

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

well, if you are lucky, Dukes will still be down there by that time.

that'd most likely be bad for the Nationals, as it would mean that Dukes was a bust. But I'm pretty sure you don't actually care about the Nationals at all anyway, so long as you can see your mancrush live and in person.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #245: May 01, 2008, 10:26:22 PM »
"The Nationals and Pirates will start a left-hander in each of the first three games of the four-game series. The last time there were three consecutive lefty matchups was 1995 in an Aug. 5-7 series between Atlanta and Montreal."

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #246: May 01, 2008, 10:27:42 PM »
MVP: Kearns or Perez?

I say OP.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #247: May 01, 2008, 10:29:34 PM »
oh man, check out this post from a disgruntled Pirates fan after tonight's game on their message board:

I haven't seen this thread in awhile, but I am so upset by tonights game that I just feel like posting here once again.

I think that the Pirates are on the brink of a big losing streak. Its just a feeling that I have. I could be wrong, but if they don't change their play real soon, the Pirates will fall so far back that hope for a .500 season will all but be lost.

Its just the stupid bone head plays, the excessive errors, the lack of clutch hitting. Add in inconsistant starting pitching and a terrible mid inning relief crew, and we are on the road to my despair. I get so angry during games like tonight, that my wife packs up the kids and heads off to her Mothers house.

My least favorite player right now is Adam LaRoche, for obvious reasons.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #248: May 01, 2008, 10:31:12 PM »
^ :rofl: That guy would fit in real well over here. That was hilarious.

« Reply #249: May 01, 2008, 10:40:34 PM »
oh man, check out this post from a disgruntled Pirates fan after tonight's game on their message board:
(Image removed from quote.)

The scary thing about that Post is you can replace "Nats" in there and a Nats player of your choice and it could very well be about us. :(

But lets hope not.