Author Topic: Davey Management Style  (Read 25941 times)

Offline JMUalumni

Re: Davey Management Style
« Reply #100: April 26, 2012, 03:17:57 PM »
Last year's complains on the managers moves blend together for me. I remember both sides for both managers. I can't tell which is which anymore.

This is probably likely true.  I'm sure you could say either or (people complained that he left them in too long OR people complained he had too quick a hook) and go back and find a substantial amount of quotes to support either.  Additionally, people are going to be able to argue for the quick hook while its working and when its stops working the argument might not hold as much water.  It is a difficult thing to pinpoint and make an argument of much substance and a lot of it is going to be grounded in personal beliefs about the subject.  LIke I said, I'm happy with the results, so I can accept what he is doing for the time being, but I also think that, on a larger scale, it is a sad development of the evolution of the game towards the over-reliance on bullpens and the coddling of starting pitchers (part of this is obviously also due to the higher level of investment).  Another part of that is definitely due to a watered down starting pitching crop due to a larger amount of teams.  I see the worth in preserving the younger guys like Strasburg (who is what 23?), and maybe a loose argument for a guy like Zimm who is two seasons removed from TJ, but the aim for older guys like Jackson, Detwiler, and Gio should be getting to a minimum of 7 innings.  And, lastly, I recognize that some of these moves have been made in close games where there was a necessity to remove the pitcher to pinch hit, but there has also been a good share of moves made where that was not the case.

For me, the real test will be when the starters get in to jams and how quickly he pulls them in those situations, which really hasn't been a major issue to this point.  And, then there comes the issue when you actually need these guys to go deeper in games and they aren't conditioned to do so.

But to reiterate what I'm repeated on a few occasions, give me the curly W and Davey can pull the starters whenever he likes.