Author Topic: Soccer thread (2014/15)  (Read 104676 times)

Online HalfSmokes

Re: Soccer thread (2012)
« Reply #350: July 08, 2013, 03:17:51 PM »
Heard about this on the radio this morning - horrible.

Brazil actually has a chance of losing next year's World Cup (USA cited as one of the possible emergency back-ups) - not only are their new stadia way behind schedule but their civil order situation is not of the best.

taking away a world cup from a developing nation and giving it to the US would be the end of FIFA (not necessarily a bad thing)- what would happend if Brazil just went ahead and had a world cup anyway- I'm guessing that they would draw at least a few teams from the developing world, maybe more than a few

Offline TigerFan

• A split allegiance is still an allegiance
« Reply #351: July 08, 2013, 05:03:11 PM »
Well, the really iffy one is WC2022 (Qatar)...at least WC2018 is in Russia, which is a little more reasonable.  FIFA can go eat a bowl of dicks for ruining 2022 though.

Yea Russia isn't as bad as I remembered.  I thought it was one of the not so nice spin-offs.  I told myself I wanted to see a World Cup before I was 40.  Looks like Brazil might be my best chance. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #352: July 08, 2013, 05:22:03 PM »
after the grief the government is getting for building the new stadia for the next world cup, if the cup were taken from Brazil, there would be a guarantee of a violent revolution.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #353: July 11, 2013, 11:06:41 PM »
Tomorrow is 'Alamo Day' on East Capitol St...Chivas Guadalajara is in town. 

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #354: July 12, 2013, 07:51:00 AM »
My son is going to the game--does that mean I should be worried?

• babble on
« Reply #355: July 12, 2013, 09:43:56 AM »
Nah, though usual precautions apply (Chivas is a big team that doesn't play in these parts very often, so gringos will be a pretty small minority in the stands).  So walk away from trouble, etc.  Stadium security has seen this before. 

The ugly stuff seems to follow the Mexico City clubs (e.g. Club America, Pumas).  I guess people in Guadalajara are mellower. 

My son is going to the game--does that mean I should be worried?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #356: July 12, 2013, 10:00:30 AM »
thanks

Offline TigerFan

• A split allegiance is still an allegiance
« Reply #357: July 21, 2013, 04:35:11 PM »
USA is putting on a clinic thus far against El Salvador

• babble on
« Reply #358: July 22, 2013, 03:34:31 PM »
That could easily have been 8 or 9 to 1. 

Offline Tokeydog

• I like beer!
« Reply #359: July 22, 2013, 03:46:43 PM »

I'm just now really trying to get into soccer outside of the actual world cup.  Was that a home game for El Salvador?

• babble on
« Reply #360: July 22, 2013, 03:52:50 PM »
Yes.  In Baltimore.

Was that a home game for El Salvador?

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #361: July 30, 2013, 12:39:02 AM »
Metro riders’ alert: A week of track work ahead
By Robert Thomson, Updated: July 29, 2013

Four lines are affected by weeknight track work. This weekend, the big impacts of the rebuilding program will be felt on the Orange, Blue and Red lines.

Weeknights
Late-night projects will cause delays of about 10 minutes on four lines from 10 o’clock each night through Thursday. These are the zones where trains will be sharing tracks around work areas.

Red Line. Between Van Ness and Friendship Heights, and between Silver Spring and Forest Glen.
Blue/Orange lines. Between McPherson Square and Smithsonian.
Green Line. Between Fort Totten and Prince George’s Plaza.

Weekend
From 10 p.m. Friday through midnight Sunday, Metro will work on the Orange, Blue, Red and Green lines. Here’s the impact.

Orange/Blue lines. Free shuttle buses will replace trains between Stadium-Armory and Cheverly on the Orange Line and between Stadium-Armory and Benning Road on the Blue Line. (Note this especially if you’re going to the D.C. United game in RFK Stadium at 7:30 p.m. Saturday.)

On the Orange Line, the Deanwood and Minnesota Avenue stations will be closed. No stations will be closed on the Blue Line. Taking the shuttle buses will add 15 to 20 minutes to normal travel time, Metro said. Crews will be working on the platforms at the closed Orange Line stations. No stations will be closed on the Blue Line.

Where the trains are operating, they should reach platforms about every 15 minutes.

Red Line. Crews will be working on the ceiling at Farragut North, and on lighting, closed-circuit cameras and communications equipment. Trains will leave the ends of the line at Shady Grove and Glenmont every 20 minutes throughout the weekend. But from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, more trains will be in service between Shady Grove and Farragut North and between Glenmont and Judiciary Square. In those two zones, which cover most of the line, trains should reach platforms every 10 minutes.

Green Line. Crews will be working outside the Greenbelt station on the new test track for the 7000 series rail cars. Service between College Park and Branch Avenue will be normal, about every 12 minutes during the day and every 15 to 20 minutes at night. But during the day, every other train will start or end its run at College Park, so passengers going between the two stations will experience delays. People who would normally park at the Greenbelt station might prefer to use College Park this weekend.

See also: Riders advisory council calls for Metro track work timetables.

• babble on
« Reply #362: August 09, 2013, 02:13:24 PM »
I think it may have been having the shame of this hanging over their heads that propelled the USMNT to the '02 WC quarterfinals:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9529241/usmnt-new-york-s-magazine-greatest-photo-shoot-history

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #363: August 09, 2013, 02:31:39 PM »
I think it may have been having the shame of this hanging over their heads that propelled the USMNT to the '02 WC quarterfinals:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9529241/usmnt-new-york-s-magazine-greatest-photo-shoot-history

...that, and their horrible 1998 WC showing (I remember sitting at a bar at Dulles waiting for a flight and watching a goodly part of their getting schooled by Iran...just goshawful).

• babble on
« Reply #364: August 09, 2013, 02:35:59 PM »
Yep, they were dead last that year.  Even Jamaica got a point when they tied Japan. 
...that, and their horrible 1998 WC showing (I remember sitting at a bar at Dulles waiting for a flight and watching a goodly part of their getting schooled by Iran...just goshawful).

• babble on
« Reply #365: August 09, 2013, 05:24:59 PM »
Aside from the USMNT laying an egg, that was a pretty good World Cup.  Beckham's red card leading to Argentina knocking out England on PKs followed by the Argentines going down in flames in the next quarterfinal match when Bergkamp scored his 89th minute miracle goal.  Hard to believe how many of the top WC98 players played for Arsenal at the time (Bergkamp, Overmars, Henry, Petit, and Seaman, to name a few)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #366: August 09, 2013, 05:34:06 PM »
EPL next weekend  ...   I am ready.   I liked the FOX coverage but am looking forward to see what NBC can do.

• babble on
« Reply #367: August 09, 2013, 05:55:48 PM »
So has FOX dropped it entirely? The halftime banter between Eric Wynalda and Warren Barton was pretty entertaining.   

EPL next weekend  ...   I am ready.   I liked the FOX coverage but am looking forward to see what NBC can do.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #368: August 09, 2013, 06:03:13 PM »
So has FOX dropped it entirely? The halftime banter between Eric Wynalda and Warren Barton was pretty entertaining.   

I liked that as well.   I thought the whole group was fun.   However, I read last season that NBC got the rights. 

NBC Universal’s winning bid for the Premier League’s television rights was $250 million for just a three-year agreement. For perspectives sake, it is more than triple the Premier League’s previous deal with Fox, a mere $23 million per year.

http://www.givemesport.com/340835-premier-league-tv-deal-to-increase-usa-coverage

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #369: August 09, 2013, 06:55:50 PM »

They dropped the Premier League, but they kept Champions League and Europa League. Those games will be on Fox Sports 1.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #370: August 10, 2013, 08:46:57 AM »

wow.  was that photographer freaking  with them

Offline Dave B

« Reply #371: August 10, 2013, 08:52:02 AM »

they  keep saying they will show every game. I think this means nfl  Sunday ticket style. I don't think they are charging extra for a package either

they are using arlo  white for their big games. I hope for the rest they just use the existing English announcers. peter  drury  is awesome.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #372: August 10, 2013, 11:19:31 AM »
So, Old Chelsea, are you going to watch Chelsea at RFK or the Nationals tonight? I presume under your normal rules the Nationals would trump, but Chelsea don't visit these parts very often.

(We're going to RFK for this obstacle course thing Bumper organized)

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #373: August 10, 2013, 12:56:27 PM »
So, Old Chelsea, are you going to watch Chelsea at RFK or the Nationals tonight? I presume under your normal rules the Nationals would trump, but Chelsea don't visit these parts very often.

(We're going to RFK for this obstacle course thing Bumper organized)

Actually the Nats win out tonight since I'll be seeing at least two (possibly three if we get our normal Champions League December home fixture) Chelsea matches at the Bridge on my annual London trip - pricier, I'll grant, but much nicer than going to RFK, having to deal with the area's rudest stadium security and try to see over all the dumbass college kids in the front rows who just have to stand through the whole match (something which, incidentally, is not allowed at the Bridge - each and every Chelsea home ticket bears the message 'PERSISTENT STANDING IS NOT ALLOWED', and this is strictly enforced).

So I'm sticking with the Nats tonight (besides, haven't been to the ballpark since Monday) - unless the government shutdown is still going on when the Chelsea-Southampton tickets go on sale in mid/late October, I'll still get my live Chelsea this season - at Stamford Bridge for the fourteenth consecutive season.

• babble on
« Reply #374: August 10, 2013, 01:01:31 PM »
Forza Roma!