Author Topic: The Bryce Harper Compendium (2012)  (Read 190015 times)

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
Re: The Bryce Harper Compendium
« Reply #1700: October 22, 2012, 11:45:40 AM »
Aw man, how did these people not recognize him!?

Oh it's DC.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #1701: October 22, 2012, 12:13:05 PM »
Some probably recognized him and decided to leave him alone. I know I would.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #1702: October 22, 2012, 12:16:19 PM »
Some probably recognized him and decided to leave him alone. I know I would.

This.

Nice creepy cell phone pic, SF.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #1703: October 22, 2012, 12:43:36 PM »
good picture!

And good on you for letting him be -

This.  People give SF a lot of crap but that was a stand-up thing to do leaving him in peace.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #1704: October 22, 2012, 12:50:05 PM »
Nah, didn't want to bother him. He had a hat on and was trying to be low key. It was pretty obvious that no one recognized him.

Kind of a creepy photo (though I can't say I wouldn't have taken one) but yeah good on you for leaving him alone. Hope he had a nice, quiet ride home!

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #1705: October 22, 2012, 12:54:06 PM »
This.  People give SF a lot of crap but that was a stand-up thing to do leaving him in peace.

I would not have taken the photo and posted it on the interwebs either. :stir:

Offline The Chief

« Reply #1706: October 22, 2012, 01:09:28 PM »
I would not have taken the photo and posted it on the interwebs either. :stir:

I wouldn't have bothered posting that :poke:

Offline PC

« Reply #1707: October 22, 2012, 02:58:53 PM »
I'm sure there are lots of pictures like these, taken from different angles, from the other people who recognized him but also chose not to bother him.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #1708: October 22, 2012, 03:29:09 PM »

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #1709: October 22, 2012, 03:37:05 PM »
question: What level Nats player do you think would appreciate getting recognized in public.  Like a guy like Lombardozzi.  Especially given his size, I'm guessing he can go out and avoid notice most of the time.  So if I saw him I'd most definitely probably go up and say hey.  But a guy like Harper I'd probably just let him stand in peace.  Am I over thinking this? 

Offline GburgNatsFan2

« Reply #1710: October 22, 2012, 04:14:16 PM »
I  think if you saw any of them in public and said "hey, nice season. Can't wait until next year" they'd take it just fine. On the other hand, if you swooned and screamed like a girl, it would be not cool.

question: What level Nats player do you think would appreciate getting recognized in public.  Like a guy like Lombardozzi.  Especially given his size, I'm guessing he can go out and avoid notice most of the time.  So if I saw him I'd most definitely probably go up and say hey.  But a guy like Harper I'd probably just let him stand in peace.  Am I over thinking this?

Offline The Chief

« Reply #1711: October 22, 2012, 04:26:24 PM »

You just did.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #1712: October 22, 2012, 04:42:58 PM »
I'll sit there in a bar, pontificating about the Nats to friend who asks me an opinion, and I'll look two chairs down at some guy in 20s kind of tracking the conversation with a friend or maybe a guy old enough to be his dad, and I think, "holy heck, what if that kid is player X."  I think some I'd spot quicker than others, but I know a few either live in the Danger Zone or will go to a bar I frequent (no more plugs unless they pay me), and occasionally I'll just wonder who that is.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #1713: October 22, 2012, 06:43:17 PM »
You do the catch his eye, raise your eyebrows and nod.  If he calls you over great!  If not dont bother him!

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!
« Reply #1714: October 22, 2012, 07:03:11 PM »
I wouldve approached him. I'm part of the machine(the fans) that help generate his paycheck. I'll be damn if  i feel guilty about interrupting somebody quiet time when i'm the reason he's famous.

I'm not going attract a crowd or do something high profile but a quick atempt at a  casual conversation isnt going hurt. If he shows he dont want to talk, i'll oblige.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #1715: October 23, 2012, 10:09:16 PM »
Found this oldie but goodie!

Offline terpfan417

« Reply #1716: October 23, 2012, 10:40:11 PM »
Jayson Werth was actually on my plan to Vegas last Monday. I gave him a little head nod as he boarded but didnt have the balls to try to snap a picture. Wonder what he was doing out there...

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #1717: October 23, 2012, 10:42:22 PM »
Jayson Werth was actually on my plan to Vegas last Monday. I gave him a little head nod as he boarded but didnt have the balls to try to snap a picture. Wonder what he was doing out there...

Did he look at the drink cart as it went by without asking for anything?

(sorry, couldn't resist).

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #1718: October 23, 2012, 10:44:24 PM »

has he shaved his beard for the offseason yet?

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #1719: October 23, 2012, 10:44:29 PM »

...well, Harper lives in Vegas...

Offline imref

« Reply #1720: October 23, 2012, 10:46:41 PM »

it probably depends on the player and the situation.  We had a brush with celebrity last summer, we were at a small museum on long island and we ran into Paul Giamatti who was there with his son.  Like a dork, I asked him if he wouldn't mind taking a picture with my son (he was chatting with some of the other visitors at the time).  He was very nice about it, I quickly snapped the picture, said thanks, and moved on.  We saw him a few more times over the next hour and just smiled and walked by.  As we were leaving some uber-dork wouldn't leave him alone and kept talking to him when it was obvious he just wanted to be left alone.  I guess I could have been a jerk and asked him about Pete Rose (instead of the usual questions he probably gets about wine).

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #1721: October 23, 2012, 10:52:23 PM »
I don't think I'd have anything to say to a pro athlete if I saw one.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #1722: October 23, 2012, 10:54:55 PM »

If I saw Bryce I would tell him that he's a hero to my son. I don't think that anyone would ever mind hearing that.

Offline imref

« Reply #1723: October 23, 2012, 10:59:04 PM »
I don't think I'd have anything to say to a pro athlete if I saw one.

we saw Michael Strahan and Ray Allen this past summer as well, Strahan was signing autographs for an appearance he was making at an event at the hotel we were visiting.  Ray Allen happened to be staying at the hotel and just walked up to say hi while we were chatting with Strahan.  Both were extremely nice.

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #1724: October 24, 2012, 01:24:54 AM »
I ran into Big John McCarthy of UFC ref fame once as I was flying through Chicago for work. I gave him the "I know you" head nod and said "have fun in Vegas" (I knew he was flying out to officiate a fight) He was really cool and his wife even grabbed my phone and asked if I wanted a picture.

I was also lucky enough to run into Ricky Henderson at a diner one time and he stopped to sign for me. I guess it just depends on how you approach them. In Ricky's case I waited until he was done eating and explained how my GF at the time was a huge fan. (Poor soul is and A's fan, through and through)