Author Topic: Bad Nationals Nostalgia / "Lean Years" Memories thread (merged)  (Read 27052 times)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Re: Bad Nationals Nostalgia
« Reply #250: September 10, 2012, 08:41:52 PM »
Yeah. I'm not as hard on him for that as I am for some of the other knuckleheaded-ness.
Sure, but he thought he'd knocked the ball over the fence for a homer.  He looked around, didn't see it, presumed it gone. 

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #251: September 10, 2012, 08:44:04 PM »
Its easy to say that when you have the benefit of slow mo replay. Sliding into Home plate is not a fun option when the catcher is blocking the plate. If the catcher doesn't want to get hit, then stop blocking the freaking plate. Its pretty simple. I hate catchers who complain about that when a catcher gets injured. Stop blocking the plate and let the runner have a chance to slide through the plate.

Pretty much agree.  Catcher should show some plate if he's waiting for an incoming throw.  If the throw doesn't arrive, you give up the plate.  If it does arrive you can slide over to block the plate while flashing the tag.  Or tag without blocking depending on how big/fast the incoming runner is.    :nervous:

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #252: September 10, 2012, 08:51:41 PM »
Sure, but he thought he'd knocked the ball over the fence for a homer.  He looked around, didn't see it, presumed it gone. 
But, since he didn't knock it over the fence, if he had really looked around, he would have seen it. Because, it was there.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #253: September 10, 2012, 09:12:54 PM »
Nyjer's 2010 was one of the most disappointing seasons for a National ever.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #254: September 10, 2012, 09:23:25 PM »
But, since he didn't knock it over the fence, if he had really looked around, he would have seen it. Because, it was there.

Of course.  He should have looked a little bit harder, just in case.  I was at that game, everyone in the park could see it except him.    :bang:

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #255: September 11, 2012, 12:48:21 AM »
M-mmm, don't know about that:

Guzman (2005), Wily Mo Pena, Jason Bergmann, John Patterson, Tony Armas, Pudge, and dare I say, CMW...

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #256: September 11, 2012, 08:13:53 AM »

...and the disappointment continues in Milwaukee - on this season hitting .240 (41 points below his career average), 3HR, 15RBI.

Good riddance.

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #257: September 11, 2012, 10:22:08 AM »

Elijah Dukes 09 was more disappointing. He was a guaranteed future superstar then the Nats ruined him by starting Austin Kearns over him.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #258: September 13, 2012, 06:55:25 PM »
Elijah Dukes 09 was more disappointing. He was a guaranteed future superstar then the Nats ruined him by starting Austin Kearns over him.

:spit:

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #259: September 13, 2012, 06:58:00 PM »
:spit:

He was going to be a stud than the dumb Manny Acta thought it was a brilliant idea to bat the .200 GIDP machine in the lineup ahead of both Dukes and Willingham..

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #260: September 13, 2012, 06:58:48 PM »
He was going to be a stud than the dumb Manny Acta thought it was a brilliant idea to bat the .200 GIDP machine in the lineup ahead of both Dukes and Willingham..

:lmao:

Offline NookLoganMafia

Post Your "Lean Years" Nats Memories Thread
« Reply #261: September 21, 2012, 08:37:50 AM »
So for all of us who have been true fans since September 2004 when Tony Williams and Linda Cropp and Tony Tavares held the press conference downtown announcing the arrival of the team, we've been through some awfully lean times.  I think now that we have such a truly bright moment, we owe it to ourselves to remind ourselves of the crap that we've been through:

1) Raw chicken tenders at RFK;
2) Along the same lines, the total thrill when they opened up 4 (?!?!) new dining options on that ghetto "food court" that they converted the RFK terrace into;
3) Rotation of Tim Redding, Shawn Hill, Matt Chico, Jason Bergmann, Jason Simontacchi/Mike Bacsik;
4) Serving up that tater to Barry Bonds;
5) The Stan Kasten invitations to Phillie fans to invade the ballpark;
6) Losses number 100 in 2008 and 2009.
7) TV combo of Ron Darling and Mel Proctor
8) Nook Logan.

Offline OldNatsFan

Re: Post Your "Lean Years" Nats Memories Thread
« Reply #262: September 21, 2012, 08:39:59 AM »
Elijah Dukes and Lastings Milledge.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #263: September 21, 2012, 08:42:04 AM »
Too soon. I don't think I will get there until the off season or until we win a world series.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #264: September 21, 2012, 08:45:40 AM »
Opening Day 2010 when effing Kasten let the Philthy hordes take over our park and we got drubbed 11-0. It was humiliating because I had brought a large group of about 20 people. I even came out to my car in Garage C and found a Philthy fan peeing next to it.

Worst baseball experience ever.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #265: September 21, 2012, 08:52:07 AM »
Damian Jackson

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
« Reply #266: September 21, 2012, 08:55:34 AM »
Opening Day 2010 when effing Kasten let the Philthy hordes take over our park and we got drubbed 11-0. It was humiliating because I had brought a large group of about 20 people. I even came out to my car in Garage C and fond a Philthy fan peeing next to it.

Worse baseball experience ever.

It really was, no exaggeration. 

Offline USF_Football

« Reply #267: September 21, 2012, 09:00:11 AM »
Some of you may not agree with me... hence why I won't be a good GM considering the moves were played well.

1. Letting Adam Dunn and Alfonso Soriano walk really drove me crazy back in the day. I'm really glad Dunn and Werth both had good seasons this year (especially Werth).

2. I like FP, but Dibble was always good for a laugh considering his lack of political correctness in DC. Imagine what he would have said with Twitter at his disposal.

3. Nyjer Morgan... The guy lost his cool once or twice (or more), but man did he hustle. Heck, who hasn't thrown their glove down in disgust at least once in their lives?

4. The Chief, Chad Cordero... He gave me hope that we would be good one day. The guy was lights out for us prior to his injury. Our first real All Star... and what a nickname...

Those are just some quick thoughts that come to mind during the lean years.

My best thought will always be knowing I was at the inaugural game with my father to see Livan's first pitch. For you older Senators fans, I know the last eight seasons have really given my dad new life in his blood (he's probably not going to be around for many more seasons with his health progressively getting worse). To share something with your pops like that is a memory that I'll never forget (just wish his mother hadn't passed the month before - her day was based around Atlanta Braves baseball games after the Senators left - we could have had three generations of baseball fans at Opening Day in 2005).

Offline USF_Football

« Reply #268: September 21, 2012, 09:04:13 AM »
I remember the Philadelphia fans that were around me that day along the RF line. We may have gotten drubbed, but I wasn't going to let some Santa hating Jersey shore scumbags ruin my trip back home. I was loud all game and made sure they knew not all of us were going to be walked on. Think Natitude started then for some of us...

Offline Tim Cullen

« Reply #269: September 21, 2012, 09:23:24 AM »
"Lean Year Nats Memory": Standing in the rain on a gloomy Monday night in late September watching the Phillies and their sub-human fans celebrate a NL East championship at our park.

"Lean Year DC baseball memory":  Being nine years old and crying my eyes out during the last Senators game back in 1971.  If I ever make it to Minnesota I will make EVERY effort find Bob Short's grave and leave behind a token of my appreciation for the wonderful job he did as an owner.

Offline 24 Nats

« Reply #270: September 21, 2012, 09:23:52 AM »
at a nats-cubs game at nationals park game a few years ago....with my father and middle son....surrounded by arrogant/jerk/loudmouth/condescending cubs "fans"....with the cubs going for/getting a sweep. 

saw stan kasten grinning like the piece of crap he is....called out to him but he scurried away.

after the game noticing not one illinois plate in the parking lot.   bet everyone of those motherfreakers is a nats fan today.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #271: September 21, 2012, 09:24:26 AM »
Starting off on the wrong foot at our very first home match in 2005, with huge security queues going into the third inning, and running out of hot dog buns in the fourth (the latter an Opening Day tradition here - not necessarily hot dog buns each time but always being caught out of something - that sadly has persisted into the present season).

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #272: September 21, 2012, 09:25:38 AM »
Jim Riggleman - the moron.

Offline CapsnNats

« Reply #273: September 21, 2012, 09:28:34 AM »
Opening Day 2010 when effing Kasten let the Philthy hordes take over our park and we got drubbed 11-0. It was humiliating because I had brought a large group of about 20 people. I even came out to my car in Garage C and found a Philthy fan peeing next to it.

Worst baseball experience ever.

I was there too...with a Philly fan. It was the worst.

Offline blue911

« Reply #274: September 21, 2012, 09:34:16 AM »
When they quit selling the 90 minute IPA. I bawled like a baby