Author Topic: Baltimoron Jersey  (Read 1726 times)

Baltimoron Jersey
« Topic Start: April 10, 2008, 09:40:46 AM »
Took a snapshot of a jersey a fan was wearing at the Exhibition game against the O's. Funny.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Re: Baltimoron Jersey
« Reply #1: April 10, 2008, 06:36:32 PM »
Wow  :shock: Someone admits to it?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #2: April 10, 2008, 06:38:23 PM »
Self deprecating, perhaps?

Offline soxfan59

• Gough, Gough White Sox!!!
    • John R. Russell, Ltd.
« Reply #3: April 11, 2008, 12:58:26 PM »
Self deprecating, perhaps?

Or maybe he is really a "hater" of the O's, and prefers subtle humor to the more crass t-shirts like "Orioles Suck" 

And there would be those who don't get the joke. 

Most of you who know me on this board know I hate the Chicago Cubs with a passion usually reserved for the vilest of criminals.  Sue me, that's the way it is. 

But back in 2003, with the Cubs winning the NLCS 3 games to 1, a local T-shirt vendor had thousands of shirts prepared to sell for the inevitable celebration of the Cubs winning the pennant.  They were your typical "Cubs 2003 National League Champions" type T-shirts.  Not cheap either.  Good quality print job.

When the Cubs lost the next 3 games to Florida, this guy called me, knowing I was associated with a re-sale store that supported a charity I am involved with.  He said "they're worthless. Can I donate them to the re-sale shop?"  WE said sure, and he took a writeoff for the cost of producing them.  Our store sold them for 25 cents a piece.  I bought a dozen, and they were the hit of the Christmas season in my White Sox crazed, Cubs hating family.  I keep one behind the door in my office, just to pimp my Cubs fans friends every now and then.

But the funny thing is, the locals who frequented our re-sale store who were Cubs fans wore the shirts proudly, and continue to do so to this day.  when I wear mine, they are shocked.  "I thought you hated the Cubs?" they ask.  I say I do, and its why I wear the shirt.  They don't get it. 

Its typical of a Cubs fan, I suppose.  But I would think wearing a shirt that celebrates your team's failure and not realizing it is the height of numb-nutziness.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #4: April 11, 2008, 02:14:26 PM »
Or maybe he is really a "hater" of the O's, and prefers subtle humor to the more crass t-shirts like "Orioles Suck" 

And there would be those who don't get the joke. 

Most of you who know me on this board know I hate the Chicago Cubs with a passion usually reserved for the vilest of criminals.  Sue me, that's the way it is. 

But back in 2003, with the Cubs winning the NLCS 3 games to 1, a local T-shirt vendor had thousands of shirts prepared to sell for the inevitable celebration of the Cubs winning the pennant.  They were your typical "Cubs 2003 National League Champions" type T-shirts.  Not cheap either.  Good quality print job.

When the Cubs lost the next 3 games to Florida, this guy called me, knowing I was associated with a re-sale store that supported a charity I am involved with.  He said "they're worthless. Can I donate them to the re-sale shop?"  WE said sure, and he took a writeoff for the cost of producing them.  Our store sold them for 25 cents a piece.  I bought a dozen, and they were the hit of the Christmas season in my White Sox crazed, Cubs hating family.  I keep one behind the door in my office, just to pimp my Cubs fans friends every now and then.

But the funny thing is, the locals who frequented our re-sale store who were Cubs fans wore the shirts proudly, and continue to do so to this day.  when I wear mine, they are shocked.  "I thought you hated the Cubs?" they ask.  I say I do, and its why I wear the shirt.  They don't get it. 

Its typical of a Cubs fan, I suppose.  But I would think wearing a shirt that celebrates your team's failure and not realizing it is the height of numb-nutziness.

I saw a piece on TV about the official championship gear they make for playoff teams. They make gear for the winning and losing team, then they donate the loser's gear to charities in foreign countries where they have no idea who the Chicago Bears are, for instance. There's lots of guys on other continents with Bears Super Bowl Champs sweatshirts, etc.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #5: April 11, 2008, 03:08:12 PM »

Let me guess:  they think it's all Bartman's fault and that the Cubs "should" have won, right?

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #6: April 14, 2008, 04:19:35 PM »
I saw a piece on TV about the official championship gear they make for playoff teams. They make gear for the winning and losing team, then they donate the loser's gear to charities in foreign countries where they have no idea who the Chicago Bears are, for instance. There's lots of guys on other continents with Bears Super Bowl Champs sweatshirts, etc.

There was a piece on this morning's SC (might replay) about how the Patriots gear landed in Nicaragua and Romania. The Bears clothing went to Zambia.

natsfan1a

« Reply #7: April 14, 2008, 04:27:51 PM »
Speaking of teams and jerseys, did anybody see the item about the construction worker who buried a Red Sox jersey in the newly poured concrete at the new Yankee stadium? I saw some footage last night where they were using a jackhammer and digging it out. :lol:

Offline The Chief

« Reply #8: April 14, 2008, 04:47:27 PM »
Speaking of teams and jerseys, did anybody see the item about the construction worker who buried a Red Sox jersey in the newly poured concrete at the new Yankee stadium? I saw some footage last night where they were using a jackhammer and digging it out. :lol:

Why would they dig it out?

Offline saltydad

« Reply #9: April 14, 2008, 04:47:35 PM »
Yeah, it was an Ortiz jersey. I actually thought it was pretty funny. And the guy who did it, a New Yorker but a Sox fan (how schizoid is that?) said all his Yankee friends laughed about it. He's selling it and donating the $$ to a Red Sox charity. I thought it was a hoot.

natsfan1a

« Reply #10: April 14, 2008, 04:48:23 PM »
Superstitious, maybe?

Offline The Chief

« Reply #11: April 14, 2008, 04:48:25 PM »
Yeah, it was an Ortiz jersey. I actually thought it was pretty funny. And the guy who did it, a New Yorker but a Sox fan (how schizoid is that?) said all his Yankee friends laughed about it. He's selling it and donating the $$ to a Red Sox charity. I thought it was a hoot.

Oh, I see...  I thought a NY fan had done it as a symbolic gesture...  you know, the Yankees are going to "bury" the Red Sox.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #12: April 14, 2008, 04:48:39 PM »
Come on Chief, as if we don't know what sport has the most superstitions!

natsfan1a

« Reply #13: April 14, 2008, 04:49:37 PM »
Oh, sorry. I didn't make it clear that he was a Sox fan. Your idea is funny, though!

Oh, I see...  I thought a NY fan had done it as a symbolic gesture...  you know, the Yankees are going to "bury" the Red Sox.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #14: April 14, 2008, 04:50:06 PM »

I hadn't seen it in that light. Maybe they should have left it there!