Author Topic: iThread (AKA Apple Thread) (2010)  (Read 38288 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: iThread (AKA Apple Thread)
« Reply #25: July 16, 2010, 02:26:44 PM »
It's the curse of the early adopter. Short of a case or a refund, there is nothing else Apple can offer. There is no way they can recall and redesign the phone and almost no notice, especially since the antenna needs FCC approval. I look forward to getting the iPhone 49(s) next summer (now with a piece of $.01 plastic on the side)

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #26: July 16, 2010, 04:12:26 PM »
I got mine today.  I don't get the problem unless I squeeze the hell out of the phone.  I guess I'm just lucky.  I'm still going to get a free case though.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #27: July 17, 2010, 12:43:41 AM »
Wait I missed this.

What problem?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #28: July 19, 2010, 01:52:19 PM »
I just have to say, on behalf of iphone 3g owners, freak apple. My once perfectly functional phone, is now like a 486 trying to run windows 7 becuase I upgraded to OS4. If I want to downgrade, it's not supported and a giant pain in the ass. I can understand no longer supporting an obsolete phone, but don't sell the damn things with two year contracts if you intend to make them useless half way through. 

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #29: July 19, 2010, 02:05:46 PM »
Hey don't hate on the 486.  Some of my fondest memories are of my old 486 DX2 :D

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #30: July 19, 2010, 02:09:53 PM »
+1...aka "poor man's pentium"

Hey don't hate on the 486.  Some of my fondest memories are of my old 486 DX2 :D

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #31: July 19, 2010, 02:11:28 PM »

I still remember the 'turbo' button on my old 386's case. No idea what it did, probably just turned on the turbo light behind the button

Offline Nathan

« Reply #32: July 19, 2010, 03:23:33 PM »
I still remember the 'turbo' button on my old 386's case. No idea what it did, probably just turned on the turbo light behind the button
:lmao:

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #33: August 04, 2010, 06:18:15 PM »
Probably the best video I've seen online in a long time.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #34: August 04, 2010, 06:21:05 PM »
Probably the best video I've seen online in a long time.

yea this was posted a few pages back, funny crap

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #35: August 04, 2010, 06:24:07 PM »
yea this was posted a few pages back, funny crap

I didn't see it in the thread?

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #36: August 04, 2010, 06:26:35 PM »

Must've been in one of the cell phones threads or something. I definitely posted it, but it's funny enough to be posted more than once.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #37: August 05, 2010, 10:50:46 AM »

iDontcare ;)

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #38: August 19, 2010, 11:59:48 PM »
Ok I can't front. Now that I have seen in the wild, the iPad is kinda sexy.

Is it capable of being a full replacement for a laptop/netbook?

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #39: August 20, 2010, 12:04:56 AM »
Haha I like to consider myself tech savy (I have lots of up to date electronics, edit video on final cut, etc) but I still have no idea what an ipad is lol?

Offline Nathan

« Reply #40: August 20, 2010, 03:29:52 AM »
Ok I can't front. Now that I have seen in the wild, the iPad is kinda sexy.

Is it capable of being a full replacement for a laptop/netbook?
Depends on what you'd want to do, but probably no.  Email and surf the web?  Yes.  Writing or word processing?  Not really, though there Are the apple office apps available (pp, word, excel alts).  There is a hulu app, but you gotta have a subscription to use it, hulu plus.  If you had a desktop and just wanted portable email and stuff, it's ok.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #41: September 08, 2010, 10:23:24 AM »
First of all, Apple sucks because now instead of buying tv episodes for 99 cents, you just rent them. That's completely moronic. It caused amazon to raise the price of an episode from 99 cents to 1.99.

My question is, if I install iTunes 10, can play the TV episodes I already own from the iTunes store?

Well, I put iTunes 10 on my machine that doesn't have the tv shows, and it loads MUCH faster.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #42: September 08, 2010, 02:23:42 PM »
I thought it used to be $1.99 to buy an episode, now instead it's $0.99 to rent.  Either way, it is pretty dumb.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #43: September 09, 2010, 08:26:29 PM »
I would like to thank apple for finally fixing 3g phones. I still say freak apple for creating the problem in the first place though

Offline Coladar

« Reply #44: September 10, 2010, 05:08:31 AM »
I've been in love with my iPad since the day I bought it, the day it was released. Bring it with me to every Nats game and keep score on it using Scorepad, heck, bring it everywhere I go. My last iPod was the first iPod video, so it's about five years old. Happened to be looking around Tysons Corner, and came across the new iPod Touch. Ended up walking out with one. Been using it all night, and man, is it an awesome upgrade from and old iPod. I will say I hate, hate, hate the removal of the wheel and hard buttons, but you can't have the screen with hard buttons. Between the two, I'll take the way they designed it.

But it really is a phenomenal upgrade if you don't have an iPhone. So ridiculously light and thin compared to a HD MP3 player its ridiculous. Might be nice to have more than 64gb, but thats the price an early adopter pays. It really is an incredible MP3 player though. Doesn't replace the iPad for baseball scoring, internet looking up, etc, but when you are in situations you *really* can't carry the iPad around, it'll work adequately. Awesome device.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #45: September 10, 2010, 08:50:54 AM »
Damn Colodar, you just outed yourself hardcore :koolaid:

:lol:

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #46: September 10, 2010, 10:30:28 AM »
Can't you just get the whole season of something from Netflix for jack diddly?  I never watch TV other than sports, so I have no idea, but my resident media expert has been catching up on a lot of TV using Netflix streaming video.   

First of all, Apple sucks because now instead of buying tv episodes for 99 cents, you just rent them. That's completely moronic. It caused amazon to raise the price of an episode from 99 cents to 1.99.

My question is, if I install iTunes 10, can play the TV episodes I already own from the iTunes store?

Well, I put iTunes 10 on my machine that doesn't have the tv shows, and it loads MUCH faster.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #47: September 10, 2010, 10:31:45 AM »
Can't you just get the whole season of something from Netflix for jack diddly?  I never watch TV other than sports, so I have no idea, but my resident media expert has been catching up on a lot of TV using Netflix streaming video.   

The ownership of the episode is what's important. Why the hell would I rent tv? I can DVR it and record it with my dvd recorder for free, so if I'm paying a buck, I want to be able to watch it again. Shows like House definitely have potential to be watched again.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #48: October 25, 2010, 07:14:41 PM »
Being as I've recently switched back to the Mac side on my work-issued Macbook just for the hell of it, I thought it might be interesting to keep a running list of pros and cons.

Disclaimer: still using 10.5.8.  As all I do on this thing is surf the net anyway, upgrading is not a huge concern, but I suppose I'll go ahead and do it if the chance arises and doesn't cost me anything.

Also, some of my complaints are bound to be the fault of third parties in whole or in part, but since Windows often takes crap for this as well, I think it's only fair that my observations are not limited to things that are entirely Apple's fault (especially as I don't use very many Apple programs).

To start:

Pros:

-longer battery life - this fairly well known, and while I still blame bootcamp engineering/drivers for the poorer battery life in Windows, it is what it is.  If I had to guess, I'd say battery life in OSX is around ~15-20% better for my typical workload.

-the apple/command key - a lot of shortcuts/keycombos seem to be based around this one key, which makes being a keyboard geek a bit more intuitive than the ctrl/alt/shift/win clusterfreak you often have with Windows apps.

-command-tab - the way that command-tabbing keeps all app children under a single icon and brings them all to the front is nice.

Cons:

-the apple/command key - not all apps are consistent about this.  Firefox is the primary culprit for me so far.  command-w closes a tab (just like ctrl-w in windows), and command left/right navigates forward and back (just like alt left/right in windows) but cycling tabs, which you would expect to follow the trend and be command-tab is actually ctrl-tab.  I get that this is because command-tab already does something similar to alt-tabbing in windows, but it's still annoying.

-the dock - it's entirely a matter of personal perference, but I just don't find the dock to be all that whizbang great.  It's not terrible by any means, but after using the Windows 7 taskbar it feels lacking in a few (admittedly esoteric) areas:

1)I'm used to launching my most commonly used apps with command-# (what would be the windows key on a PC).  Every app pinned to the Win7 taskbar automatically gets a shortcut like this based on it's position on the taskbar.  So for example I generally launch Firefox with command-1, Pidgin with command-2, etc.  As you can also switch between apps and active windows this way, I have almost entirely stopped using alt-tab in Windows.  The way command-tabbing works in Mac OS somewhat makes up for this.

2) bad and worse: wasted vertical space or autohide? - I'm currently going with the autohide option since "always visible" wastes a tremendous amount of vertical viewing space which on top of the ever-present top menu bar and the additional titlebar/menus of most apps becomes pretty egregious.  Sure I could shrink the dock to tiny size, but it seems kind of clumsy to use like that, and is still fairly ugly with bits of desktop peeking through in both corners.  Not to mention the combined height of even the smallest dock and the top menu bar are probably wasting more space than 7's taskbar, even on huge-mode.

-No snapping features (that I can tell) - this may be something that has been added in later versions of OSX, but anyone who has seen a Windows 7 commercial or used Windows 7 is probably familiar with the ability to "snap" windows to one side or another and fill exactly half the screen.  This is great on widescreens and while it's not something I personally use often, it's sorely missed when I need it.

-keyboard web navigation - most common message boards obey the following principle: when i'm writing a post, I can hit tab once, then space or enter to submit my post.  The same boards do NOT follow this convention in Mac OS.  Hitting tab instead takes me to the location/address bar.  In addition, binary prompts from websites on the windows side will allow you to confirm the default choice with either space or enter, whereas on the Mac side only Enter works.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #49: October 25, 2010, 09:40:31 PM »
All valid points.

The dock was one of the things I liked about OS X.  Much better, IMO, than the taskbar in windows.  Then windows 7 sort of copied the idea of the dock in OS X.  And made it better.  I now prefer it to the mac's dock.