Author Topic: NCAA Football (2012-13 season)  (Read 31652 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: NCAA Football (2012-13 season)
« Reply #425: October 27, 2012, 10:15:48 PM »
Agreed.

Fridge went 2-10 in his second-to-last season as head coach and since like 03 put out only a few "ACC championship contending" teams despite a ton of talent coming into the program.

This season I expected 4-5 wins at best but I'm disappointed because we could have had 6-8.

They are competing better than I thought they would.  I'm no Edsel fan but he's recruited some good talent and these freshmen are going to be the foundation of an improving team over the next couple of years.  The quarterback injuries are a crusher to '12, damn shame cause they were poised to surprise.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #426: October 27, 2012, 10:25:24 PM »
Golson was popped there.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #427: October 27, 2012, 10:38:51 PM »
They are competing better than I thought they would.  I'm no Edsel fan but he's recruited some good talent and these freshmen are going to be the foundation of an improving team over the next couple of years.  The quarterback injuries are a crusher to '12, damn shame cause they were poised to surprise.

What about Edsal don't you like? I'm just curious as I really had no feeling for him one way or the other before he came to Maryland. I honestly like his no non-sense style. The fact that he's helped build a very good defense and has an offense with a lot of youth and talent has me excited for the future. Like I said, I'm not suggesting we'll be challenging for NTs or anything, but I truly expect us to be considered dangerous sooner than later.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #428: October 27, 2012, 10:39:27 PM »
Landry is crap.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #429: October 27, 2012, 10:43:04 PM »
Landry is crap.

Can't throw the long ball accurately. I'll be very surprised if he's picked in the early rounds next year.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #430: October 27, 2012, 10:43:36 PM »
What about Edsal don't you like? I'm just curious as I really had no feeling for him one way or the other before he came to Maryland. I honestly like his no non-sense style. The fact that he's helped build a very good defense and has an offense with a lot of youth and talent has me excited for the future. Like I said, I'm not suggesting we'll be challenging for NTs or anything, but I truly expect us to be considered dangerous sooner than later.

My way or the highway is an arrogant, condescending attitude.  He took over a 9-4 team, looked around and came to the conclusion that he had to blow it up, and he got 2 wins for the effort.  It was clear after a few games he'd lost the team, and I am not in good position to say that the players were necessarily wrong in despising the program Edsel espoused.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #431: October 27, 2012, 10:46:06 PM »
My way or the highway is an arrogant, condescending attitude.  He took over a 9-4 team, looked around and came to the conclusion that he had to blow it up, and he got 2 wins for the effort.  It was clear after a few games he'd lost the team, and I am not in good position to say that the players were necessarily wrong in despising the program Edsel espoused.

I can understand that, but at the same time, it appeared that Fridge was running things so loose that he did have to put the clamps downs. Was it heavy handed? Perhaps, like you, I wasn't really in a position to know, but I do like his style and feel that the program very well could be much better off in the long run. He's already doing more with "his" talent than Fridge seemed to be able to do with what he got.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #432: October 27, 2012, 10:49:09 PM »
Can't throw the long ball accurately. I'll be very surprised if he's picked in the early rounds next year.

Some people thought he would go early in the 1st this past season.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #433: October 27, 2012, 10:54:09 PM »
I can understand that, but at the same time, it appeared that Fridge was running things so loose that he did have to put the clamps downs. Was it heavy handed? Perhaps, like you, I wasn't really in a position to know, but I do like his style and feel that the program very well could be much better off in the long run. He's already doing more with "his" talent than Fridge seemed to be able to do with what he got.

There are two sides to running things "loose".  One is, these are adults, > 18 and you should treat them as such. I tend to chafe at the authoritarian style of management, and if a coach is putting silly rules in place to make a point about discipline, he's overreaching and a little bit of insurrection is fine by me.

Some of the Post articles about Edsel did not paint a flattering portrait of him, of his dictates and rule mongering.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #434: October 27, 2012, 10:55:18 PM »
Bell is a big dude.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #435: October 27, 2012, 11:04:08 PM »
Great drive.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #436: October 27, 2012, 11:22:35 PM »
holy crap

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #437: October 27, 2012, 11:23:57 PM »
There are two sides to running things "loose".  One is, these are adults, > 18 and you should treat them as such. I tend to chafe at the authoritarian style of management, and if a coach is putting silly rules in place to make a point about discipline, he's overreaching and a little bit of insurrection is fine by me.

Some of the Post articles about Edsel did not paint a flattering portrait of him, of his dictates and rule mongering.

Last year the Post (especially Wise) felt like jumping on the "freak Randy Edsall" bandwagon once things went south and just kept piling on.

The players here seem to embrace what he's preaching and he also seems a lot looser. I have zero problem with his focus on accountability in the classroom and being more than just football players. The Post people were pissed than Ronny Tyler was suspended for the last game of his career; turns out, Ronny had someone else taking tests for him. People still lynched Randy for that, which is just absurd.

I think Edsall made a lot of mistakes last year, especially in regards to who his coordinators were. Bradford was not expected to be the DC, but once Brown left abruptly, he had to hire in-house, but Crowton was a terrible hire all-around. With Locksley - a DC recruiting guy - and Stewart - an established DC who players love - Edsall finally has his own guys in here. Last year was just a disaster, and he made a ton of mistakes from the start. I think this year he's figured it out a lot more and is a ton more comfortable. That's why these last two losses are killer. Edsall finally has a team that believes in him and is playing well, and their QBs all get hurt and they lose at the last second each time. Brutal.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #438: October 27, 2012, 11:24:22 PM »
Notre Dame is just the worst. The worst.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #439: October 27, 2012, 11:36:20 PM »
Stills is a good receiver, but he's also a little nag.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #440: October 28, 2012, 11:05:53 AM »
yeah the rapists ended up losing, but they do have a good coach who will help that program.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #441: October 28, 2012, 11:25:15 AM »

That's fair. I appreciate your point of view because I really hadn't heard much considering we're here in WVU territory... sadly.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #442: October 28, 2012, 01:56:33 PM »
Last year the Post (especially Wise) felt like jumping on the "freak Randy Edsall" bandwagon once things went south and just kept piling on.

The players here seem to embrace what he's preaching and he also seems a lot looser. I have zero problem with his focus on accountability in the classroom and being more than just football players. The Post people were pissed than Ronny Tyler was suspended for the last game of his career; turns out, Ronny had someone else taking tests for him. People still lynched Randy for that, which is just absurd.

I think Edsall made a lot of mistakes last year, especially in regards to who his coordinators were. Bradford was not expected to be the DC, but once Brown left abruptly, he had to hire in-house, but Crowton was a terrible hire all-around. With Locksley - a DC recruiting guy - and Stewart - an established DC who players love - Edsall finally has his own guys in here. Last year was just a disaster, and he made a ton of mistakes from the start. I think this year he's figured it out a lot more and is a ton more comfortable. That's why these last two losses are killer. Edsall finally has a team that believes in him and is playing well, and their QBs all get hurt and they lose at the last second each time. Brutal.

Excellent comments.   No question that he's recruiting players more comfortable with his style, and it would appear he's moved his style to be a bit less extreme as well.  We are stuck with anyway and I sincerely hope he can turn it around.  Not likely to be a winning team this season but there's obvious progress and improving talent, think in 1-2 more years they will be very competitive.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #443: October 28, 2012, 02:15:02 PM »
Excellent comments.   No question that he's recruiting players more comfortable with his style, and it would appear he's moved his style to be a bit less extreme as well.  We are stuck with anyway and I sincerely hope he can turn it around.  Not likely to be a winning team this season but there's obvious progress and improving talent, think in 1-2 more years they will be very competitive.

With Diggs and Brown proving to be all they were hyped up to be, I have a ton of excitement for next year. Our defense will take a step back with all the players leaving (especially Vellano and AJ), but I am giddy with excitement for the possibility of a CJ-Diggs-Brown zone read offense next year. So many possibilities.

Like you said, we're stuck with him for the time being and I think he's going to be successful here. Will he be as good as we were hoping when we fired Fridge? I'm not sure. But Fridge had just a few good years at the beginning and then was middle-of-the-road the rest of the time. I think Edsall can be at least that.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #444: October 28, 2012, 02:18:42 PM »

Like you said, we're stuck with him for the time being and I think he's going to be successful here. Will he be as good as we were hoping when we fired Fridge? I'm not sure. But Fridge had just a few good years at the beginning and then was middle-of-the-road the rest of the time. I think Edsall can be at least that.

The irony is that if he was as good as people initially hoped,  he'd just get poached by a bigger program

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #445: October 28, 2012, 02:20:11 PM »
The irony is that if he was as good as people initially hoped,  he'd just get poached by a bigger program

Possibly. If he is as good as hoped, he'd turn Maryland into a perennial 8-10 win team and win Maryland/UA's resources, you'd hope that the job would be as good as most in the country.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #446: October 28, 2012, 06:55:45 PM »
Caleb Rowe done for the year. Torn ACL. FOUR QBs out for the season.

Damn you, Randy Edsall!!! All his fault!!!

Offline spidernat

« Reply #447: October 28, 2012, 07:50:40 PM »
He needs to stop recruiting QB's made of glass.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #448: October 28, 2012, 08:40:54 PM »
He needs to stop recruiting QB's made of glass.

So it's Edsall's fault for recruiting QBs who tear their ACLs on fluke plays?

Ok.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #449: October 28, 2012, 09:30:45 PM »
Caleb Rowe done for the year. Torn ACL. FOUR QBs out for the season.

I was sure you were kidding.  Good one!

But I sneaked a peak at the googler just in case.   

:'(     :bang:    :hang: