Poll

Who will be the first pitcher to throw a quality start for the Nats?

Lannan
0 (0%)
Marquis
2 (5.3%)
Wang
0 (0%)
Zimmermann
20 (52.6%)
Olsen
10 (26.3%)
Detwiler
6 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: Mocking Wang Watch  (Read 26013 times)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
I certainly wasn't advocating bringing Lannan back, especially if he's not performing at the level at the club needs him to.  But we should all be rooting for him to get back to that level.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
I don't think anyone is actively rooting against Lannan.

I only post the 'injured' quip as a knock on everyone that said the only way he could be bad is if he was injured.

He's just struggling mightily, he's not injured. He'll get over it and either come back stronger, or find a new line of work.

Offline sportsfan882

Zimmermann SCRATCHED from his scheduled start tonight at Potomac :?

Right-hander Jordan Zimmermann, who was scheduled to make his fourth rehab start for Single-A Potomac tonight, has been scratched with a stiff neck, the Nationals announced a couple minutes ago in an e-mail to media members. But the team said the injury is not serious; Zimmermann will be evaluated tomorrow and is expected to pitch later in the week if everything is fine with his neck.

Zimmermann is closing in on the end of his year-long rehab from Tommy John surgery, and is expected to be back in the Nationals' rotation sometime in August.

Offline UMDNats

Offline Potomac Cannons

I'll actively root against bad pitching which is what Lannan has done more often than not.  When your K/9 is half the league average you aren't good enough to start in MLB.  He had results that were above the level he was actually pitching at and swung back to results worse than that level of pitching.  No strikeouts and average control is going to get you pounded sooner than later.

Offline hammondsnats

Good thing about JZ being scratched is the injury has nothing to do with the tj surgery he is recovering from.  He will be fine and I am glad they are taking the cautious approach.

As far as lannan goes I don't know he has had some good starts over the years.  He is a contact pitcher...he will have some outings when he will get shelled and others whereb he gets a lot of ground ball outs.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
  He had results that were above the level he was actually pitching at and swung back to results worse than that level of pitching. 

For two years?  I don't buy it.  The truth is, he's not pitching the same this year, he's pitching worse.  Anyone watching can see he's unable to hit the bottom of the strike zone consistently, which he used to be able to do and was why he's successful.   Whether it's an injury or mechanical problem, I have no idea, but he's changed for the worse.  It's not just a reversal of luck, cause two years of success cannot be attributed to luck.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
What his problem, at least according to pitch f/x was, was that he started throwing a two seam fastball and it killed him.

Go back to his first year and he got great results with his four seam fastball... add in the two-seamer, and bad things start to happen.

2008:

62.9% Four Seam Fastball
18% Curveball
10.5% Changeup
8.4% Slider
0.1% Intentional Walks
0.1% Pitch Outs

In 2008, Fangraphs had his fastball at 10.2 runs above average... from there, things go down the drain.

2009:

54.5% Four seam fastball
12.4% Slider
11.7% Curveball
11.5% Two seam fastball
9.3% Changeup
0.5% Intentional Walk

-4.8 runs below average on his fastball. Coincidence that his fastball starts to go south when he adds a two-seamer?

2010:

34.8% Two seam fastball
31.9% Four seam fastball
15.5% Changeup
12.1% Curveball
5% Slider
0.6% Intentional Walk
0.2% Pitch Out

-6.8 runs below average on his fastball. Two seam fastball is what he was featuring the most this year and he flat out sucked. I think what's been killing John Lannan is the fallacy that he was a sinker ball pitch... when in fact, he got by on his four seam fastball... all this time.

Offline NFA Brian

• Nationals Farm Authority
Zimmermann => Wednesday night in Woodbridge
Olsen => Thursday night in Woodbridge

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win

Wednesday is also belly buster night.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

i think we'll be there on thursday, still have one more J-Zimm baseball card to get signed.

Offline NFA Brian

• Nationals Farm Authority
i think we'll be there on thursday, still have one more J-Zimm baseball card to get signed.

Just relooked at the schedule ... Thursday is AT Winston-Salem

Offline natsfan4evr

Marquis looked really strong in his rehab start, pitching 3 shutout innings on Sunday for the Gulf Coast League Nats.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Just relooked at the schedule ... Thursday is AT Winston-Salem

crap.  thanks!

Offline Vladman1327

What his problem, at least according to pitch f/x was, was that he started throwing a two seam fastball and it killed him.

Go back to his first year and he got great results with his four seam fastball... add in the two-seamer, and bad things start to happen.

2008:

62.9% Four Seam Fastball
18% Curveball
10.5% Changeup
8.4% Slider
0.1% Intentional Walks
0.1% Pitch Outs

In 2008, Fangraphs had his fastball at 10.2 runs above average... from there, things go down the drain.

2009:

54.5% Four seam fastball
12.4% Slider
11.7% Curveball
11.5% Two seam fastball
9.3% Changeup
0.5% Intentional Walk

-4.8 runs below average on his fastball. Coincidence that his fastball starts to go south when he adds a two-seamer?

2010:

34.8% Two seam fastball
31.9% Four seam fastball
15.5% Changeup
12.1% Curveball
5% Slider
0.6% Intentional Walk
0.2% Pitch Out

-6.8 runs below average on his fastball. Two seam fastball is what he was featuring the most this year and he flat out sucked. I think what's been killing John Lannan is the fallacy that he was a sinker ball pitch... when in fact, he got by on his four seam fastball... all this time.

You know, Pitch F/x often has problems categorizing four-seam fastballs vs. two-seam fastballs and many other similar pitches.  I'm not saying you're wrong, but it seems fishy that he adds a two-seam fastball and his four-seam fastball becomes bad.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
Rizzo on the radio said that he expects Olsen and Marquis to be back in the big leagues first, followed by JZiim and Detwiler with Wang scheduled to be back in August, if all things go well with Wang's current rehab.

Uh Wow .. I didn't think they'd all be back this year

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Detwiler is ready. Still pitching right now.

6 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 5 K

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Through 7.

7 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 7 K

Offline PC

Through 7.

Strasburgesque!

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Yep.

He's done.

Bring him up for Atilano next time through.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
Beast. Detwilers gotta get up here.

Offline CJames0569

Please Rizzo move his ass up to the Majors and send Atilano/Stammen down!

Offline hammondsnats

Through 7.

do the happy dance

Offline HalfSmokes

Anyone else ever get the feeling that as a nationals fan, you spend as much time rooting for minor league pitchers are major league ones?

Offline CJames0569

Is that because we have so many minor league pitchers in our major league rotation?  :rimshot: