Poll

Who will be the first pitcher to throw a quality start for the Nats?

Lannan
0 (0%)
Marquis
2 (5.3%)
Wang
0 (0%)
Zimmermann
20 (52.6%)
Olsen
10 (26.3%)
Detwiler
6 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: Mocking Wang Watch  (Read 26066 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
http://www.pressherald.com/sports/not-a-marquee-night_2010-07-24.html

This is the story Kilgore lifted for his blurb. Cool of Marquis to pick up the treif, I mean lobster:

Posted: July 24
Updated: Today at 1:51 AM
Not a marquee night for Sea Dogs
Portland comes up against a strong bullpen, has a late rally snuffed out and ends a win streak at six games.

By Kevin Thomas kthomas@mainetoday.com
Staff Writer

PORTLAND - There was so much for the Harrisburg Senators to enjoy in Maine on Friday night: comforting breeze, 11 hits and the near-perfect performance by their bullpen.

Jason Marquis, the Washington Nationals’ pitcher on rehab after elbow surgery, threw 65 pitches Friday night for the Harrisburg Senators in a 7-5 victory against the Portland Sea Dogs, and said he felt he could have gone longer.

Plus the postgame meal was a feast. Of course, the lobster always tastes sweeter after a victory.

Harrisburg erased two early Portland leads to beat the Sea Dogs 7-5 before 6,763 at Hadlock Field.
. . .

The Senators shook hands and headed for the lobster. Pitcher Jason Marquis provided the postgame spread, the tradition for big leaguers on rehab assignments.

Marquis, 31, coming back from surgery to remove bone chips in his right elbow, started for Harrisburg, allowing three runs and five hits over 31/3 innings. The next four relievers stifled the Sea Dogs.

. . .

Marquis is with his fifth major-league club, signing a two-year, $15 million contract with Washington. After starting the season 0-3, Marquis landed on the disabled list.

On Friday, Marquis retired 12 of the final 14 batters he faced. He threw 65 pitches (38 strikes).

"I felt I could have gone a lot longer, which is definitely a good sign," Marquis said while riding an exercise bike in the visiting clubhouse. "I'm happy with the way my arm felt. Now I can concentrate on making pitches.

"In a sense, it's (like) spring training. These stats don't count but you still want to feel good about yourself and get guys out."

The first four Sea Dogs reached against Marquis -- Yamaico Navarro single, Spears single, Ray Chang walk and Exposito's grounder into left field.

But Harrisburg got the two runs back in the second inning with three hits (two doubles) against Portland starter Stephen Fife (6-3).
. . .

When Chiang scored in the second inning for a 3-2 lead, Harrisburg tied it again in the third on two more hits. Chris Marrero's two-run homer to center in the sixth was the winner.
. . .

Staff Writer Kevin Thomas can be contacted at 791-6411 or at:

kthomas@pressherald.com

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Why am I not enthusiastically embracing the notion that he'll be here after one more start?  How about, let's go 7 (a la Detwiler) effectively before we bring him up, eh?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
J-Zimm pitches tomorrow for Hagerstown, 5:05 start, game 1 of a double-header.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
J-Zimm having a rough outing in Hagerstown, gave up a 3R HR in the 2nd and  2R HR in the 3rd.

Line so far:
3IP, 4H, 6ER, 1BB, 3K, 2HRs

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Updated:

4IP, 4H, 6R, 5ER, 1BB, 3K, 2HRs

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
I still think Marquis will eventually figure it out and be up here as a #4/#5 starter or a long reliever. Yeah, definitely not worth the money he was given, but a contibutor.

Offline sportsfan882

ugh at Zimmermann's start. wtf

Offline daveb32

i'm not too worried. 9-1 GO/FO is encouraging & only one walk.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
i'm not too worried. 9-1 GO/FO is encouraging & only one walk.

What I didn't like was the fact that 8 balls in play were classified as line drives.

JZ is better than that. I wonder if he was working on a specific pitch today?

Offline hammondsnats

not worried at all by zimmermann's outing.  he's a shoe-in for a spot in the rotation the rest of the year.  as daveb pointed out he recorded 9 groundball outs and look at his numbers overall in his rehab innings.  give him two more outings and he's back in the bigs baby.

Offline blue911

What I didn't like was the fact that 8 balls in play were classified as line drives.

JZ is better than that. I wonder if he was working on a specific pitch today?

18 innings into his rehab, he could've hit the dreaded "dead arm" period.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Wouldn't doubt it.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
BTW - We'll need a name for JZ's first start when he is called up.  To bookend "Strasmas," I suggest:

"New Zimm Day."

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
The Blue Print Volume 4: Zimmermann returns

Offline blue911

BTW - We'll need a name for JZ's first start when he is called up.  To bookend "Strasmas," I suggest:

"New Zimm Day."

A Rosh Hashanah reference?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator

Nah, it's just the bookend of the Strasmas season is New Zimm.  We can celebrate late that night with fireworks and get Chinese food late.l

Rosh Hashanah goes more for Marquis or if we pick up Breslow for the bullpen.  If we got both of those guys, their debuts could be called the High Hillidays.

Offline blue911

Nah, it's just the bookend of the Strasmas season is New Zimm.  We can celebrate late that night with fireworks and get Chinese food late.l

Rosh Hashanah goes more for Marquis or if we pick up Breslow for the bullpen.  If we got both of those guys, their debuts could be called the High Hillidays.

I was thinking the early September angle. Chinese and fire works are good.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
I was thinking the early September angle. Chinese and fire works are good.

Watch out for Stammen Kippur.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.

Ross Hashanah was on Sunday.

Offline sportsfan882

Olsen scratched from AAA start tonight. Martis starts in his place.

"New Zimm Day."

i guess u like my username?

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Is there any hope of John Lannan ever returning? Love John Lannan. I really thought he had a long, long future in Washington DC. He's only 25. Maybe next year if the MI defense is fixed he could come back. No reason he couldn't be a #4/#5 starter who throws 200+ innings for us with a 3.75-4.25 ERA. Just has to fix whatever went wrong this year.

Offline sportsfan882

http://www.masnsports.com/the_goessling_game/2010/07/olsen-not-starting-for-syracuse-headed-to-washington.html

Left-hander Scott Olsen, who was supposed to start at Triple-A Syracuse tonight, will instead throw a side session for the Chiefs. That could be a strong indicator Olsen will pitch for the Nationals on Friday or (more likely) Saturday, when they need someone to replace JD Martin.
Olsen, who has been out since late May with left shoulder inflammation, has a 3.77 ERA this season. Throwing a side session tonight could put him in line to pitch Friday, or the Nationals could start Ross Detwiler on regular rest and move Olsen to Saturday.

Yep, looks like it is a safe bet that we see Olsen later this week.