Author Topic: MLB Videogames  (Read 28042 times)

Offline PatsNats28

Re: MLB Videogames
« Reply #175: March 06, 2010, 11:27:29 AM »
Okay I think I'll get MLB 2k10.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #176: March 06, 2010, 02:30:20 PM »
Okay I think I'll get MLB 2k10.
If you like the button press approach over the sticks, then go for The Show.  Apparently I'm one of the few people who prefer the stick gesture method of 2K10.

That said, I do think I am getting the hang of the show a little bit better.  I'm getting contact a little more often, though it does usually go straight to a fielder :?

With pitching, is it better to keep the power meter in the yellow?  I had been trying to always stop the power meter in the red for max power, but it seems to me that if I lay off a little bit and keep it in the yellow, I hit my spots much more consistently.

I started a game with Scott Olsen late last night and played the first 3 innings until my controller's batteries died.  Things started off well.  Retired the side 1-2-3, 3 Ks.  I unlocked some achievement for getting 3 consecutive Ks off the same pitch (out pitch trophy).  Hung a breaking ball in the second and was taken yard.  Then things went down hill in the third.  I just started sailing pitches all over the place.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #177: March 06, 2010, 02:48:40 PM »
Olsen is nice in this game. Lots of pitches with different movement.

I always try to max the slider, but I never tried it the other way.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #178: March 06, 2010, 02:50:18 PM »
Also, I always swing with power. I usually get the same amount of hits per game but add in more home runs.

I started playing in December with 09 so I'm definitely still learning.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #179: March 06, 2010, 10:47:34 PM »
nathan, i have a 360, i can't get the show.

offense is impossible in 2k10. made a nats franchise:

-created a strasburg player... rated 86 ovr lol. unrealistic but whatever.
-use a 54 game season so i can play every game
-traded cristian guzman for ryan rowland-smith
-lost first game to the phillies 3-1
-beat the mets 1-0. lannan had 8 innings of 3 hit ball
-at this point, changed hitting to rookie levels (kept everything else at pro)
-beat the phillies 5-1, but wasn't hitting for most of the game. zim had a 3 run hr, dukes added a solo hr.

in all, most contact i make is ground balls. and i hit a ton of fouls. the pitchers also all go like complete games. they need to make the pitchers less accurate. they never throw walks.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #180: March 07, 2010, 02:00:35 AM »
The 6'4" RIGHTY Scott Olsen!?  WTF?

Also, this game cheats.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #181: March 07, 2010, 04:02:38 AM »
FINALLY a win.  I had to replay the mets game, must have forgotten to save.

Final score, Nats 4, NYM 1.

Olsen had a strong start, going 3 innings with one hit, no runs, no walks, striking out 5.
Mock came in and pitched 2 innings with 3 hits and a run despite several errors.
Bally earned the W pitching 2 innings of one hit ball, striking out 4.
Peralta pitched a perfect inning, with 3 harmless popups.
Capps entered in the 9th going 1-2-3 with 2 Ks to earn the save.

All of the Nationals' O came in the sixth inning, hammer batting in Morgan followed by a 3 run shot by Dukes.

I'm getting a bit better at pitching.  Hitting is still a mystery.  My fielding is awful.

I think one of my problems is that I bought a baseball game wanting to play as my favorite team when my favorite team has had back to back last place in the league finishes.  I might have fared better playing as the Yankees something, but I just can't.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #182: March 07, 2010, 08:43:17 AM »
won again, beat the brewers 5-2. marquis gave up 2 runs in the first inning, but settled down after that (went 5 innings). jz pitched two, then clip pitched two. was actually hitting well. i've been slowly making hitting harder.

Offline HerndonNat

• FSU Football
« Reply #183: March 07, 2010, 10:39:06 AM »
FINALLY a win.  I had to replay the mets game, must have forgotten to save.

Final score, Nats 4, NYM 1.

Olsen had a strong start, going 3 innings with one hit, no runs, no walks, striking out 5.
Mock came in and pitched 2 innings with 3 hits and a run despite several errors.
Bally earned the W pitching 2 innings of one hit ball, striking out 4.
Peralta pitched a perfect inning, with 3 harmless popups.
Capps entered in the 9th going 1-2-3 with 2 Ks to earn the save.

All of the Nationals' O came in the sixth inning, hammer batting in Morgan followed by a 3 run shot by Dukes.

I'm getting a bit better at pitching.  Hitting is still a mystery.  My fielding is awful.

I think one of my problems is that I bought a baseball game wanting to play as my favorite team when my favorite team has had back to back last place in the league finishes.  I might have fared better playing as the Yankees something, but I just can't.
It took me a while to get good at hitting in the game.  You really have to be selective over what pitches you swing at.  If you swing at a 2 seamer breaking down and away from you you'll pound it in to the ground even if it is a strike.  Like wise if you swing at high heat with a player that can't hit it you will just pop it up.  Once you get a good eye at what is a ball and a strike it will be a lot easier.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #184: March 07, 2010, 04:33:38 PM »
holy crap i beat the rockies 1-0 in 11 innings. for 10 and a half innings, no one scored a run! hitting in that game is impossible. i rarely hit the ball out of the infield.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #185: March 07, 2010, 04:37:59 PM »
holy crap i beat the rockies 1-0 in 11 innings. for 10 and a half innings, no one scored a run! hitting in that game is impossible. i rarely hit the ball out of the infield.

Yeah dude. Hitting is a pain to get used to especially online. In a league I'm the White Sox. I am 5-5 so far. 3 of my games so far have been into extra innings with like 1 run each and 4 hits. Its pretty cool but also hard as crap.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #186: March 07, 2010, 04:47:17 PM »
I am hitting some monster shots with Dunn. I'm a pretty average hitter, but hit three with him in one game against the Phillies.

Offline CJames0569

« Reply #187: March 07, 2010, 05:37:33 PM »
It took me a while to get good at hitting in the game.  You really have to be selective over what pitches you swing at.  If you swing at a 2 seamer breaking down and away from you you'll pound it in to the ground even if it is a strike.  Like wise if you swing at high heat with a player that can't hit it you will just pop it up.  Once you get a good eye at what is a ball and a strike it will be a lot easier.

THis is true, I'm very selective at what I swing at and normally I can have a pretty good offensive game with the nats. I usually can score about 5 runs online. I hit a grand slam the other day top of the 9th with dunn to win the game online, pretty cool.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #188: March 07, 2010, 06:01:42 PM »
So I went out and got a copy of The Show 2010 last night, and although I only got to play 1 game (due to my girlfriend coming over to my place  :lol:) I must say it was awesome. I started a franchise with the Nats, but was sad to see that Stras isn't on the roster just some made up player who wasn't nearly as good. Anyways she works late tonight so I should be able to make some progress on game play :twisted:

Who's the Strasburg character and how did you find him? There was an unassigned player that was 6'5 215 (about Strasburg's size) so I put him at AA and he's getting shelled. His name is Rufus Burkhart.  :rofl:

I was also trying to look at salaries for the minor leaguers but that didn't give it away.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #189: March 07, 2010, 08:16:16 PM »
Yeah dude. Hitting is a pain to get used to especially online. In a league I'm the White Sox. I am 5-5 so far. 3 of my games so far have been into extra innings with like 1 run each and 4 hits. Its pretty cool but also hard as crap.

i changed it to classic hitting btw

Offline CJames0569

« Reply #190: March 08, 2010, 08:24:13 AM »
Who's the Strasburg character and how did you find him? There was an unassigned player that was 6'5 215 (about Strasburg's size) so I put him at AA and he's getting shelled. His name is Rufus Burkhart.  :rofl:

I was also trying to look at salaries for the minor leaguers but that didn't give it away.

I looked for the best starter in the minors with the highest upside (I assumed it was him?) but yeah I also looked at the salaries and that didn't give anything away. Unfortunately I think we are going to have to wait for the roster updates that feature him.

Offline HerndonNat

• FSU Football
« Reply #191: March 08, 2010, 10:14:19 AM »
i changed it to classic hitting btw
I also use classic pitching.  I can't stand the little pitching meter.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #192: March 08, 2010, 11:21:52 AM »
Thanks, CJames.

Apparently in The Show they even break out the pink bats on Mother's Day.  :clap:

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #193: March 08, 2010, 06:13:28 PM »
I also use classic pitching.  I can't stand the little pitching meter.

im beastly at their type of pitching.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #194: March 09, 2010, 04:12:28 PM »
OOTP 11 has been made available for preorder.

I've got a question for OOTPeople. I want to create a fictitious baseball league and use real-world baseball players. Is that possible? To elaborate - I'd like to use the game to create an alternate MLB with 24 teams, some as before (NYC, Atlanta, DC) but some in places like Nashville, TN, Vancouver, Charlotte. To create those rosters I'd like to just move the deleted teams' rosters to new cities - for example, merge the rosters of the Detroit Tigers and Cincinnati Reds and put the best 25 guys in Indianapolis. Obviously I'm willing to do the grunt work of making each roster myself, but will OOTP's software allow this overall scenario to work?

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #195: March 09, 2010, 07:51:11 PM »
I don't know the how long it would take but it certainly seems possible. There are an insane number of mods out there and you can tweak it to your hearts content.

I'd post your question on the OOTP forum. Someone may point you at some addins or at least will give you tips.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #196: March 11, 2010, 09:35:39 AM »
OOTP 11 has been made available for preorder.

I've got a question for OOTPeople. I want to create a fictitious baseball league and use real-world baseball players. Is that possible? To elaborate - I'd like to use the game to create an alternate MLB with 24 teams, some as before (NYC, Atlanta, DC) but some in places like Nashville, TN, Vancouver, Charlotte. To create those rosters I'd like to just move the deleted teams' rosters to new cities - for example, merge the rosters of the Detroit Tigers and Cincinnati Reds and put the best 25 guys in Indianapolis. Obviously I'm willing to do the grunt work of making each roster myself, but will OOTP's software allow this overall scenario to work?

Absolutely it should.

Just set up a regular MLB game... then go to the game editor, change whatever team names you want etc. etc. and then while there cut some teams out. You can't just transfer a teams roster to another team... but you can signed all the newly cut free agents to the super team you wanted.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #197: March 11, 2010, 10:29:36 AM »
Anyone else doing a Nationals franchise in The Show? I'd love to compare notes on how players do in the game.

-I recently cut Eddie and signed Beimel because my bullpen blows. I also promoted a random AAA reliever who has B potential and was putting up great numbers.
-Kennedy and Hudson wanted longterm deals so I signed Smoltz. Huge mistake. He went 0-5 before I got fed up and promoted Stammen and released Smoltz.
-Bruney was awful. He's down to AAA.
-Capps is okay but I rarely have a lead. Tyler Walker is doing very well.

-Desmond is below the Mendoza line. I have had to split time with Willie Harris at SS.
-Dunn is on pace for his 40 HRs (and an extension)
-Pudge is awful, so is Flores.

I am in last place in the NL East.

I used my first round draft pick to draft a 3b/2b who will hopefully be my 2b of the future. He has A potential and was the top rated player in the draft.

I'm going to have to do a better job managing my scouts. I only had about 18 players scouted before the draft, and they were almost all gone before the second round. So everyone else I drafted had horrible potential.

Offline CJames0569

« Reply #198: March 11, 2010, 10:49:38 AM »
Anyone else doing a Nationals franchise in The Show? I'd love to compare notes on how players do in the game.

-I recently cut Eddie and signed Beimel because my bullpen blows. I also promoted a random AAA reliever who has B potential and was putting up great numbers.
-Kennedy and Hudson wanted longterm deals so I signed Smoltz. Huge mistake. He went 0-5 before I got fed up and promoted Stammen and released Smoltz.
-Bruney was awful. He's down to AAA.
-Capps is okay but I rarely have a lead. Tyler Walker is doing very well.

-Desmond is below the Mendoza line. I have had to split time with Willie Harris at SS.
-Dunn is on pace for his 40 HRs (and an extension)
-Pudge is awful, so is Flores.

I am in last place in the NL East.

I used my first round draft pick to draft a 3b/2b who will hopefully be my 2b of the future. He has A potential and was the top rated player in the draft.

I'm going to have to do a better job managing my scouts. I only had about 18 players scouted before the draft, and they were almost all gone before the second round. So everyone else I drafted had horrible potential.

You should have downloaded the updated rosters online before you started your franchise, that way you would have kennedy on the team already. Also as someone mentioned earlier it's better to start a franchise after opening day rosters are uploaded, usually sometime during the first week of games. You could also wait until Strasburg makes his debut, then you would have him on the roster also.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #199: March 11, 2010, 11:06:23 AM »
Be wary of the 'bugs' in franchise.

Basically, if you don't want a superstar team... avoid the waiver wire at the end of the year.

There's a bug that teams will put their top players on the wire and not even try to remove them when you claim them... so basically you're getting them for free.