Author Topic: NFL Thread (2012-13)  (Read 53468 times)

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Re: NFL Thread (2012)
« Reply #25: March 03, 2012, 12:43:35 PM »
Nah, I couldn't really think of an NFL team I didn't like so I took the easy out and picked an easy target.

What happened to Suck Pack Suck?

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #26: March 03, 2012, 03:09:20 PM »
What happened to Suck Pack Suck?

That would give the Green Bay fans an excuse. 

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #27: March 06, 2012, 09:35:46 PM »
the Saints have admitted to the bounty program, I don't see how Sean Payton keeps his job.

The National Football League reported Friday that the Saints paid defensive players a bounty for injuring opponents, as well as making interceptions and fumble recoveries, during the 2009-2011 seasons. The program involved as many as 27 players and at least one assistant coach, the league concluded.

The league said the program was administered by then-defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, with knowledge of other coaches. Players regularly contributed cash to a pool, which may have topped $50,000 at its peak.

The players were paid $1,500 for a "knockout," when an opposing player was not able to return to the game, and $1,000 for a "cart-off," when an opposing player had to be carried off the field. In some cases, particular players on the opposing team were targeted, the NFL said.

There could potentially be criminal charges and civil lawsuits coming out of this.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #28: March 06, 2012, 09:38:07 PM »
That seems like a pathetic amount of money for the crapstorm this is going to cause.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #29: March 07, 2012, 08:15:39 AM »
The Saints should lose their franchise tag.  That'll hurt them more than losing draft picks, especially this year.

That's an interesting (good) point.   Somebody here (work) mentioned something a little off the wall.    Give the Saints the "death penalty".    Take back the SB trophy.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #30: March 07, 2012, 08:18:22 AM »
Franchise tag screws them hard- they are already in cap trouble so the might not be able to afford Breese on the open market

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #31: March 07, 2012, 01:37:06 PM »

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #32: March 07, 2012, 01:39:31 PM »
Anybody but the LANDOVER FORESKINZ®.

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #33: March 07, 2012, 01:59:01 PM »
If it's not the jets I'll eat my hair.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #34: March 07, 2012, 05:32:17 PM »
Anybody but the LANDOVER FORESKINZ®.

Why the hell would he want to come to Washington?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #35: March 07, 2012, 05:55:46 PM »
Why the hell would he want to come to Washington?
The desire to work with a great offensive mind like mini me?

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #36: March 07, 2012, 07:16:37 PM »
The desire to work with a great offensive mind like mini me?

He'd have to sit behind Glassjaw and Belch to learn the system though.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #37: March 07, 2012, 07:58:50 PM »
Good Guy Peyton Manning.  18% gratuity included on his bill; tips another $200 anyway.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #38: March 07, 2012, 09:20:50 PM »
one of the articles on ESPN said that after a game he ran into the press room without shoes and socks because he knew the reporters were on a deadline and didn't want to make them wait. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #39: March 08, 2012, 08:26:54 AM »
They are running a poll on Boston.com about what team you'd like Manning to go to.  I forget which NFC team is in first, but a close second out of all the rumored teams is Miami.  Considering that is a division rival, I think it says a lot about how much people up there enjoyed the match ups with Manning.  It is incedible to me that he's played the Pats 15 times, considering that for the bulk of his career, the Colts and Pats have been in different divisions.  That always was my favorite game.  I'm hoping he ends up in Miami and beats the Jets regularly.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #40: March 08, 2012, 11:51:57 AM »
I always have had the impression that Peyton Manning is a good guy above and beyond his skills as a qb. I'd love to see him as a Redskin, but at the same time, the team has finally transitioned away from winning Free Agency and moved to using the draft to build. I fear that Danny boy will get the FA thing going in his blood again and throw all progress made into the crapter. If they sign him, assuming he's fully healthy, they better draft someone like Cousins or some other prospect qb and draft some serious oline.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #41: March 08, 2012, 11:57:28 AM »
I always have had the impression that Peyton Manning is a good guy above and beyond his skills as a qb. I'd love to see him as a Redskin, but at the same time, the team has finally transitioned away from winning Free Agency and moved to using the draft to build. I fear that Danny boy will get the FA thing going in his blood again and throw all progress made into the crapter. If they sign him, assuming he's fully healthy, they better draft someone like Cousins or some other prospect qb and draft some serious oline.

totally agree, my fear is not so much that they won't draft a qb, as that with manning, they will go on a free agent spree to get the parts to win now, and we're right back to the days of vinny

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #42: March 08, 2012, 12:00:28 PM »
they better draft someone like Cousins

:?  That would be the equivalent on crying uncle at the QB position.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #43: March 08, 2012, 12:10:34 PM »
Can't believe I'm becoming a Peyton Manning fan ... almost regardless of where he plays.   I never liked the Manning QB's to include Dad.   However, watching the press conference yesterday, it was clear that Manning meant what he said and the emotion was real.    I'll pull for him to succeed, except when he plays the Steelers.     If he signs with the 'skins  ...  maybe yes maybe no.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #44: March 08, 2012, 12:12:15 PM »
:?  That would be the equivalent on crying uncle at the QB position.

Cousins? I dunno, he supposedly looked really good at the combine. What I'm getting at though is that if you're signing Manning, you're going to need to stock up on linemen and still draft a qb. I'm assuming that Tannehill will be gone, as I'd assume that you'd use the #6 on a lineman or wr, and would have to wait until at least the 2nd to get a qb. I reckon you could trade down and try that route again. What is your suggestion Spidey?

Offline spidernat

« Reply #45: March 08, 2012, 02:34:42 PM »
Cousins? I dunno, he supposedly looked really good at the combine.

So did Ryan Leaf.  :lol:  I guess I've had a bias against Cousins for a couple of years. I've watched him make some really stupid mistakes at critical moments so I'm not sold on him.

What is your suggestion Spidey?

I'm also gagging at the suggestion that some people are making about drafting Tannehill with the sixth pick.    I don't believe Manning is an option. I've been convinced that Manning will not want to play in the NFC because the Manning family dreams about a Manning vs Manning SB. I felt that Eli's refusal to play for SD was partly influenced because they didn't want to play in the same conference. I doubt they'll ever admit to that but it's just my theory anyway and I have nothing to back it up. My first suggestion would be to blindfold Snyder and put him in a strait jacket in some remote location totally incommunicado for the next 6 months (or the next 20 years). Then, I would prefer to see Washington trade out of the sixth pick to secure more selections. They need to address the defensive backfield and the OL. But you are right. They need to find someone who they can develop at QB. It doesn't have to be in the first round. You can't force someone to be good (see John Beck who can't even unseat MDS at QB :?). Of course he'll have to be the type of eye candy that suits Shanahan Jr's particular taste. 

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #46: March 08, 2012, 02:41:53 PM »
So you don't want RG3?

Offline spidernat

« Reply #47: March 08, 2012, 02:47:20 PM »
Personally I wouldn't mind getting Griffin. But I don't believe he's the type of eye candy that excites the Shanahan's so I see no point in discussing it. I hope I'm wrong but I'm sure they will cite the "it was too much to give up" as their excuse. Griffin may actually be worth what they would have to give up to acquire him.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #48: March 08, 2012, 02:54:18 PM »
So looks like Peyton said no to the Skins. And what if we can't trade up for RG3? Interested at all in Matt Flynn?

Offline spidernat

« Reply #49: March 08, 2012, 02:59:40 PM »
I don't know that I'd be opposed to Matt Flynn. But I'm not drooling over what he did in the Packers' offense for two games either. The best case scenario may be for Manning to land in Houston and the Skins to find a way to pry Schaub from the Texans since he is familiar with the system. That or they could bring in Kyle Orton and draft someone they can groom for 2014.  :hang: