Author Topic: Define Natitude  (Read 119798 times)

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Define Natitude: Barry: “We lost?”
« Reply #1900: October 16, 2012, 10:11:04 PM »
Should have called up Meyer to pitch Game 5

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #1901: October 16, 2012, 10:27:49 PM »
http://www.federalbaseball.com/2012/10/16/3513916/no-one-hates-last-place-teams-washington-nationals-make-statement-in

Great article.  So other teams are starting to hate us because we run our team in a new, different, and better way?  Pathetic.

I would love to hear spidernat's thoughts on that article.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #1902: October 17, 2012, 09:27:39 AM »
One of the comments in the Fed Baseball article mentions it is interesting that Beane and Rizzo deal.  Those sort of deals make sense for both teams' managements.  They value players differently, so something Beane wants is of lower value to Rizzo, while something Rizzo wants may not be as highly valued in Beane's mind. I'm not so up on the economics lingo as I was in college, but I think there's theory about optimality and utility that applies here.  I'm hoping mathguy or someone bails my butt out here.

The Gio deal might be a case in point.  I don't get the impression that either Milone or Norris were highly valued by Rizzo. Milone's just a junkballer, and Norris had the Ks, low average, and his walks were not valued so much (compare him to Rizzo boys like Desmond, Morse, Lombo, and Espinosa).  Gio has great stuff, but Beane may have seen him as getting expensive, put too many guys on via walks, and a sell high guy who was having success due to the ballpark he pitched in.  he may have said he prefers a guy who does not chain walks together in the coliseum, safeco, and the A because anyone can suppress HRs there.  Couple that with maybe with a belief that Norris was disciplined enough to get more out of his skills, and there was a basis for these parts of the deal centered around Cole and maybe Peacock.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #1903: October 17, 2012, 12:43:20 PM »
I would love to hear spidernat's thoughts on that article.

I doubt other teams are really starting to "hate" the Nationals. More than likely it's just media jerks trying to create crap that will get them attention because they have nothing else to write about. But even if it is true, why would I give a freak what other teams think? That will anger some fans and they will call the "hate" "pathetic" and it will make other fans feel good. Personally I don't give a crap. The only thing that concerns me is the actual talent on the field and what they actually do on the field, not what they think or feel.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #1904: October 17, 2012, 12:47:15 PM »
So it's only pathetic when fans hate on other teams for what you consider stupid reasons, but when high-up paid professional execs of other teams hate on the Nats for similarly stupid reasons, it's just whatever?

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #1905: October 17, 2012, 12:53:19 PM »
That's Bryce on the right.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #1906: October 17, 2012, 12:57:47 PM »
Bryce and Copecwby20 might have something in common.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #1907: October 17, 2012, 12:59:16 PM »
So it's only pathetic when fans hate on other teams for what you consider stupid reasons, but when high-up paid professional execs of other teams hate on the Nats for similarly stupid reasons, it's just whatever?

:lmao:

As I said, I doubt that's even true and if it is true, then it's definitely weak. You made that sound as if I'm sucking up to professional execs.  :lmao:  I'm pretty sure that if an exec made that observation in a conversation with me I would tell him how weak I think that type of mentality is. But I thought I made it clear that I really don't give a crap.

Then again, don't we all make personal considerations and act accordingly? Or am I exempt from doing so?

I still don't believe that's true. If teams "hate" the Nats it's probably because the Nats kicked their asses this year and they couldn't handle the fact that little brother has grown up and isn't taking their crap anymore.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1908: October 17, 2012, 01:00:13 PM »
I'm not so up on the economics lingo as I was in college, but I think there's theory about optimality and utility that applies here.  I'm hoping mathguy or someone bails my butt out here.

Diminishing marginal utility.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #1909: October 17, 2012, 01:02:07 PM »

Offline The Chief

« Reply #1910: October 17, 2012, 01:04:47 PM »

:lmao:

As I said, I doubt that's even true and if it is true, then it's definitely weak. You made that sound as if I'm sucking up to professional execs.  :lmao:  I'm pretty sure that if an exec made that observation in a conversation with me I would tell him how weak I think that type of mentality is. But I thought I made it clear that I really don't give a crap.

Then again, don't we all make personal considerations and act accordingly? Or am I exempt from doing so?

I still don't believe that's true. If teams "hate" the Nats it's probably because the Nats kicked their asses this year and they couldn't handle the fact that little brother has grown up and isn't taking their crap anymore.

Sucking up to execs?  Nah, just thought it was peculiar that you like giving people around here crap for acting like fans typically act, but you couldn't be bothered to mock highly paid MLB execs for acting the same way :stir:

:mg:

Offline spidernat

« Reply #1911: October 17, 2012, 01:07:20 PM »
Sucking up to execs?  Nah, just thought it was peculiar that you like giving people around here crap for acting like fans typically act, but you couldn't be bothered to mock highly paid MLB execs for acting the same way :stir:

:mg:

They're not here for me to mock Chief. Get some execs to join so I can mock them. It should be easy to spot them. I'll just watch the way tomterp slurps them in his posts.  :lol:

And did I mention that I still don't believe that story?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1912: October 17, 2012, 01:11:10 PM »
They're not here for me to mock Chief. Get some execs to join so I can mock them. It should be easy to spot them. I'll just watch the way tomterp slurps them in his posts.  :lol:

And did I mention that I still don't believe that story?

:?

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #1913: October 17, 2012, 02:00:22 PM »
:popcorn:

Offline spidernat

« Reply #1914: October 17, 2012, 02:12:55 PM »
TT knows I'm just messing with him.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #1915: October 17, 2012, 05:50:16 PM »
Lots of angst about the Fielder saga, who knows, probably we'd still be playing if we'd signed him.

He's a freaking ace pitcher!

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #1916: October 17, 2012, 05:55:37 PM »

Where is Living Single when you need them? Cheap bastards are keeping my six bucks to cover the costs of printing and mailing my print at home tickets.

Fans who purchased tickets online for the NLCS are being reimbursed for the face value of the ticket, as well as the per ticket convenience fee charged by Tickets.com.

They won't get back the $6 per order processing fee.

A team spokesperson says the costs involved with printing and mailing tickets are non-refundable.

www.wtop.com/?nid=893&sid=3082074

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #1917: October 17, 2012, 05:58:03 PM »
Where is Living Single when you need them? Cheap bastards are keeping my six bucks to cover the costs of printing and mailing my print at home tickets.

This is entirely unacceptable. That's a quarter mil for no reason. I want a 6 dollar value voucher to Nats Park at the very least.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #1918: October 17, 2012, 06:26:54 PM »
This is entirely unacceptable. That's a quarter mil for no reason. I want a 6 dollar value voucher to Nats Park at the very least.

Probably closer to $100K the team is holding on to.  This explains why they dropped the maximum number of tickets from four to two for the Insider sale, doubles the number of orders with non-refundable fees.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #1919: October 17, 2012, 06:27:40 PM »

Living Social.  Living Single was a sitcom in the 90's.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #1920: October 17, 2012, 06:44:50 PM »

Might be an annoying policy but they tell you before you checkout that they won't refund the processing fee. No deception there.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #1921: October 17, 2012, 06:50:34 PM »
Might be an annoying policy but they tell you before you checkout that they won't refund the processing fee. No deception there.

True, although they also have a clock ticking down warning you that your tickets will go back into the general pool if you don't complete the entry form and confirm the purchase in time, making it difficult to review the small print, not that it would have stopped my from buying them.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #1922: October 17, 2012, 07:05:04 PM »
Probably closer to $100K the team is holding on to.  This explains why they dropped the maximum number of tickets from four to two for the Insider sale, doubles the number of orders with non-refundable fees.

Insatiable greed.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #1923: October 17, 2012, 07:07:29 PM »
True, although they also have a clock ticking down warning you that your tickets will go back into the general pool if you don't complete the entry form and confirm the purchase in time, making it difficult to review the small print, not that it would have stopped my from buying them.

If you don't read the fine print before you pay for something don't be surprised by what it says!

Also I was able to look up the refund policy for the tickets before purchasing them (I was curious on how much would be refunded, and how), so if you were really concerned about $5-10 the "fine print" was out there before you purchased. It was (and still is) laid out here: http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/was/ticketing/postseason.jsp

"Handling fee is non-refundable" for STH, "All other fees are non-refundable" for single-game ticket purchasers.

Not justifying the policy but it WAS out there and, at least for people like me who were concerned about the refund policy, they were upfront. They were also upfront about when tickets would be refunded, in their own vague way.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #1924: October 18, 2012, 12:06:17 PM »
I thought that it was just the convenience fee that wasn't being refunded, $4 per order. But it's the fee per ticket too, for the NLCS I paid $7 per ticket. Including the tie breaker and wild card games I paid $160 in fees that the old man is holding on to. Printing and mailing? Everyone printed their tickets at home. From six unplayed games the greedy bastards netted over a million bucks.

Gratitude my ass.