Author Topic: Nationals @ Phillies, Game 1  (Read 20045 times)

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
Re: Nationals @ Phillies, Game 1
« Reply #575: August 12, 2011, 10:24:17 PM »
Phil Wood and Debbi Taylor are useless.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #576: August 12, 2011, 10:25:39 PM »
We can definitely beat Oswalt tomorrow.  Too bad I'm stuck going to see the O's tomorrow.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #577: August 12, 2011, 10:26:02 PM »
Dave Jaegler looks like what I imagine Ichabod Crane to be.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #578: August 12, 2011, 10:26:15 PM »
LOL, FP putting the gameday thread on blast.

Offline PC

« Reply #579: August 12, 2011, 10:26:42 PM »
What are you using to judge Desmond's lack of non-baseball intelligence?

His situational play.  It's frequently not smart, sometimes incredibly not smart.

Situations that require thinking, thinking ahead specifically, he performs very poorly.  Yesterday's 9th inning comes immediately to mind.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #580: August 12, 2011, 10:27:34 PM »
His situational play.  It's frequently not smart, sometimes incredibly not smart.

Situations that require thinking, thinking ahead specifically, he performs very poorly.

So... that's baseball intelligence.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #581: August 12, 2011, 10:28:09 PM »
Dave was good.  Unfortunately, Phil Wood is still terrible.

I think that Dave and Charlie have divided the play-by-play within games, in some of the radio broadcasts I've heard.  Originally, I think Dave was the color guy.

:dibbs:

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #582: August 12, 2011, 10:29:13 PM »
I think that Dave and Charlie have divided the play-by-play within games, in some of the radio broadcasts I've heard.  Originally, I think Dave was the color guy.

:dibbs:
Yeah, Charlie and Dave switch off innings.

Offline TylerDC

• The Future.
« Reply #583: August 12, 2011, 10:29:34 PM »

Lmfao, I noticed that.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #584: August 12, 2011, 10:30:24 PM »
The top two stars of the game have to be the Phillies ballgirl and the Bartman in RF.  Other than Livo of course.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #585: August 12, 2011, 10:32:34 PM »

Translate into sober English, please.

• babble on
« Reply #586: August 12, 2011, 10:36:38 PM »
Is that like Old English 800?

(Image removed from quote.)

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #587: August 12, 2011, 10:37:21 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

Humorously enough, color commentator FP Santangelo's comments about internet posters conceding this game before it started could be applied to our very own Gameday Thread.

I said good day.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #588: August 12, 2011, 10:38:16 PM »
Is that like Old English 800?

Antonyms I believe.

Offline PC

« Reply #589: August 12, 2011, 10:39:27 PM »
So... that's baseball intelligence.

Sometimes there's a convergence but yesterday's 9th was a lack of intelligence.  The bases were loaded with no outs and a pitcher who was wild.  We needed a smart at-bat there and that's something Desmond doesn't do.  The walk was the smart play because a walk would tie the game and bases would still be loaded, no outs. Desmond never takes the smart path in situations like that.  The objective should have been to extend the game by the easiest path. But he didn't think of all of that.  He swung, repeatedly, at balls.  Josh Willingham or Nick Johnson would have taken the walk.

Nyjer Morgan was the poster child for lack of baseball intelligence.

• babble on
« Reply #590: August 12, 2011, 10:46:31 PM »
So was Marlon Byrd when he was a Nat.  He seems to have since acquired some kind of poise at the plate.

Sometimes there's a convergence but yesterday's 9th was a lack of intelligence.  The bases were loaded with no outs and a pitcher who was wild.  We needed a smart at-bat there and that's something Desmond doesn't do.  The walk was the smart play because a walk would tie the game and bases would still be loaded, no outs. Desmond never takes the smart path in situations like that.  The objective should have been to extend the game by the easiest path. But he didn't think of all of that.  He swung, repeatedly, at balls.  Josh Willingham or Nick Johnson would have taken the walk.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #591: August 12, 2011, 10:47:28 PM »
Humorously enough, color commentator FP Santangelo's comments about internet posters conceding this game before it started could be applied to our very own Gameday Thread.

I said good day.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #592: August 12, 2011, 11:01:45 PM »
Quote from: Adam Kilgore
Livo on Phillies fans yelling at him in the bullpen: "It wakes up the lion." (!)

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #593: August 12, 2011, 11:03:24 PM »
Sometimes there's a convergence but yesterday's 9th was a lack of intelligence.  The bases were loaded with no outs and a pitcher who was wild.  We needed a smart at-bat there and that's something Desmond doesn't do.  The walk was the smart play because a walk would tie the game and bases would still be loaded, no outs. Desmond never takes the smart path in situations like that.  The objective should have been to extend the game by the easiest path. But he didn't think of all of that.  He swung, repeatedly, at balls.  Josh Willingham or Nick Johnson would have taken the walk.

Some of it is thinking between pitches, the way Kevin Costner does in "Bull Durham". Something that Desmond seems not to do, as PC mentions.

Some of it is understanding the right move while a play unfolds. That's partly practice so that you "see" the right play and do it without stopping to calculate. Hubert Dreyfus, a philosophy professor, discussed this (in a book with his brother...can't remember the brother's name) on artificial intelligence. Dreyfus points to the way a chess master looks at a board and automatically "sees" a set of moves. The chess master might stop to think out several alternatives, but they can play a dozen simultaneous games against people like us because they "know" a lot more without having to think everything through.

Desmond blunders often, especially on offense. SS defense is a little more react-move-catch-throw...he has to position himself based on the batter, the runner, on the count, and on what pitch is being called, but once the hitter makes contact, the SS will execute the obvious play. Get to the ball and throw the runner out.

Players can make dumb fielding plays, but usually that's an OF, who often has more happening as fields a base-hit. Pence and Werth both positioned themselves to add power to their throws home on plays late in this game. Both had a fair chance to get the runnewr at the plate...the Nats runner held, and the Phillies runner, in the 9th, made it by about a step. By contrast, I was at Shea one night when Strawberry made a perfect no-hop throw to the catcher with no hope of getting the runner...allowing the hitter to take second.

That's baseball-dumb.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #594: August 12, 2011, 11:23:55 PM »

I said good day.

Maybe Carpenter left him the link to the game thread section.   :D

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #595: August 13, 2011, 04:22:27 AM »
This could be the most epic mismatch in all of professional sports history.   :'(

I am trying to find the modern-day record for the most a team has struck out in a 3-game series but I think it's an obscure statistic.  I am thinking the Nats will beat it easily.  I'm guessing at least 40 strikeouts in this series.  What do you guys think?

This will get ugly.

Lose the skirts you sissies. We're taking the series.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #596: August 13, 2011, 07:10:05 AM »
Comparative dates on which the Nationals have notched their 57th win, each season:

2005 - 3rd August (107th match of season)
2011 - 12th August (118th match)
2007 - 21st August (126th match)
2010 - 30th August (132nd match)
2006 - 2nd September (134th match)
2008 - 15th September (150th match)
2009 - 2nd October (160th match)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #598: August 13, 2011, 12:28:44 PM »
Local teams ran the table last night - Mystics won last night (rather pleasantly surprised to hear about the Nats result after I got home) and of course the ubiquitous Burgundy and Gold prevailed too (pre-season, but still...). Rather nice sports day altogether.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #599: August 13, 2011, 02:42:46 PM »
44 games left.  If the Nats win half of those, they'll finish with 79 wins.