Author Topic: Amazon Thread (2011-2013)  (Read 5212 times)

Offline UMDNats

Re: Amazon Thread (Amazon's new Lala-type service)
« Reply #75: November 15, 2011, 09:52:09 PM »
after playing around with fire, I'm convinced iPad and other tablets are in for some hurt. It's not as fast or as smooth, but it plays video smoothly (both streaming and on the device), surfs (silk is actually pretty fast), and works well as a reader. Throw in prime integration and cloud integration (it actually works) and I can't see why you'd spend that much more for a bigger screen and a few apps not available on fire

BUT I NEED TO BE ABLE TO TAKE PICTURES WITH MY IPAD IN PUBLIC AND LOOK LIKE A TOOL

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #76: November 16, 2011, 11:19:57 AM »
Nook magazines look amazing on it. This thing is a total beast.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #77: November 16, 2011, 01:23:13 PM »
I just got ten bucks back on my kindle fire cover automatically since amazon dropped the price.

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #78: November 16, 2011, 01:50:29 PM »
I read that the Fire weighs a pound, which sounds pretty heavy to me for something to carry around.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #79: November 16, 2011, 02:08:03 PM »
I read that the Fire weighs a pound, which sounds pretty heavy to me for something to carry around.

It's not so bad- it weighs a bit more than a decent sized hard cover book.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #80: November 16, 2011, 02:41:05 PM »

I love the weight. Heavy enough to feel substantial, light enough to carry around no problem. Loving it so far. Just "borrowed" Moneyball to read on here. Excited.

I need help with magazines. I got this so I could read newspapers, magazines, etc on it but are all the magazines and newspapers pretty much a subscription-only thing or is there any free magazines/media outlets that let me read through Kindle? I have Pulse but I want to experiment with other stuff.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #81: November 16, 2011, 02:54:56 PM »
You can always just go to the web page

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #82: November 21, 2011, 05:39:42 PM »
if you're looking for a new phone

From now until this coming Monday, Amazon is offering every single non-iPhone smartphone for $0.01 on a new two-year contract.
It's insane that Amazon can do this, but that's the genius of Jeff Bezos.
The company is giving away $299.99 phones like the brand new Droid RAZR and every Samsung Galaxy S II across AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon.
If you're in the market for an Android device and are strapped for cash, now's definitely the time to jump on an offer.
If you're in the mood to spend some money, though, we'd wait a few more weeks for the launch of the Samsung Galaxy Nexus.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-android-black-friday-deal-2011-11#ixzz1eNlelauY

Offline PANatsFan

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #84: November 21, 2011, 08:53:22 PM »
Bezos is a total badass

More like azzclown. 

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #85: December 10, 2011, 11:00:40 PM »
This Amazon Cloud reader is pretty neat.  It's not as good as using an actual kindle with and E-ink display, but it works enough for getting some reading in during slow times at work.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #86: December 11, 2011, 10:18:38 AM »
Does the Amazon MP3 uploader convert AAC? The google one does . . .

Offline Nathan

Amazon's streaming video service now works on PS3 :woop:

Offline PANatsFan

Amazon automatically upgraded my fire cover to same dayy shipping so it would come today. They have unparalleled service.

I forgot how amazing that service was. In the words of Chris rock, if amazon were a woman...

Offline UMDNats

Amazon's streaming video service now works on PS3 :woop:

I saw that. I'm going to sign up for Amazon Prime in the next week or so, I use it enough so the free shipping offsets the cost and the extra collection of free (and hell, even the paid) movies on my ps3/kindle is awesome.

Offline Nathan

I saw that. I'm going to sign up for Amazon Prime in the next week or so, I use it enough so the free shipping offsets the cost and the extra collection of free (and hell, even the paid) movies on my ps3/kindle is awesome.

You may be able to get an edu discount if you still have access to an edu email address ;)

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
You may be able to get an edu discount if you still have access to an edu email address ;)

Everyone should take advantage of that.  Aren't you glad I told you about that?

Offline PC

« Reply #92: January 13, 2013, 09:26:21 PM »
Amazon Prime is the best thing EVER!!!

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #93: September 25, 2013, 04:30:18 PM »
New fires out today (I'm sure no one cares), but the live on device tech support is really interesting and definitely a big step forward

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #94: September 25, 2013, 04:37:24 PM »
New fires out today (I'm sure no one cares), but the live on device tech support is really interesting and definitely a big step forward

i'm hearing really good things about them, haven't had a chance to look.

Having a macbook air i've never seen the need for a tablet, but a cheap reader would be nice on long flights when the battery dies on my laptop.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #95: September 25, 2013, 04:41:33 PM »
I think I'm going to jump on a paper white to get it before the weekend.

Edit:  Well damn, they're not even shipping yet.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #96: September 25, 2013, 04:53:17 PM »
I think I'm going to jump on a paper white to get it before the weekend.

Edit:  Well damn, they're not even shipping yet.
I'm really happy with my current Paperwhite, but the moment it craps out or the moment a suitcase full of money shows up on my doorstep, I'll try the new one.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #97: September 25, 2013, 04:58:22 PM »
The WiFi version ships 9/30, the 3G one ships 11/5.  I'm not sure the 3G one is worth the month long wait and the $70 price difference.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #98: September 25, 2013, 05:00:03 PM »
The WiFi version ships 9/30, the 3G one ships 11/5.  I'm not sure the 3G one is worth the month long wait and the $70 price difference.

you can fit a lot of books on a kindle. I can see the 3g being useful if you don't have wifi, but otherwise, it seems useless

Offline Coladar

« Reply #99: September 25, 2013, 08:02:26 PM »
Amazon Prime is the best thing EVER!!!

Figured the bumping of this would be about VA's uber lame taxing.

I was incredibly pissed off last Monday when I go to order GTA V only to discover, lo and behold... I have to pay sales tax on Amazon now. It wasn't unexpected, but it still sucks. Yes, it's only fair I get charged tax the same way as if I went to a B&M store... well, except for the fact said B&M store uses local resources, roads, emergency services, etc., that online retailers don't anywhere to the same degree.

Was my pseudo justification, at least. But apparently a couple weeks ago Amazon had to start collecting sales tax for all VA customers because they have distribution nodes in VA. Sucks, sucks, sucks. Now everything I buy has an extra 6% tacked onto it. That adds up like crazy when I spend anywhere from $2k-5k a year on Amazon (So at least $120 extra per year.)

It really, really, really hurts Prime for me. Before I figured that the annual charge basically came out of the money I was saving online by skipping sales tax. Now? It's just a straight up extra $79 (or whatever), which means Amazon's prices either have to be low enough to save me the $80 each year or by saving the cost of gas in driving to B&M stores, or else I'm actually spending more money buying on Amazon than if I bought locally. And since you're talking walking out with the item versus paying more money to wait two days for it to arrive, well...

It's only fair/whatever, but it still sucks to see the 6% every time I check out on Amazon now.