Poll

Who, if any members of last year's starting rotation do you think will be dealt?

Zimmermann
Strasburg
Fister
Gonzalez
Roark
Nobody

Author Topic: Which pitcher gets traded?  (Read 10488 times)

Offline Natsinpwc

Re: Which pitcher gets traded?
« Reply #125: January 24, 2015, 08:55:28 PM »
Nothing related to Philly is a good comparison for any other team because of the RAJ factor.
It seems that Gillick is calling the shots for now; the Rollins trade got them a couple good pitching prospects and they also got one from Pittsburgh for Bastardo.  Don''t think Ruin Tomorrow (and the day after that) could have made those trades. 

The trade market still need Shields to sign. 

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #126: January 24, 2015, 08:59:30 PM »
Cmon Rizzo. Strasburg for Refsnyder, Dellin Betances, and Judge/Severino. Do it man, do it.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #127: January 25, 2015, 05:48:53 PM »
There has been lots of talk about Cole Hamels and nothing has happened yet.  And he is locked up for a few years.  Hard to see how Nats will get much for a year or less of JZimm potentially. 
however, if they were to try to move Strasburg, you get 2 years of Stras at about $20MM and then a draft pick with the likely qualifying offer if you can't re-sign him.  For Hamels, you get 2 more years than Strasburg, but it costs an extra $76MM.

Online Slateman

« Reply #128: January 25, 2015, 08:02:31 PM »
however, if they were to try to move Strasburg, you get 2 years of Stras at about $20MM and then a draft pick with the likely qualifying offer if you can't re-sign him.  For Hamels, you get 2 more years than Strasburg, but it costs an extra $76MM.

And it's 2 years at the end

Online Slateman

« Reply #130: January 26, 2015, 03:05:00 PM »
Strasburg for Betts would be great for both teams.

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #131: January 26, 2015, 03:07:01 PM »
Strasburg for Betts would be great for both teams.

Betts would fit right in here.

Online Slateman

« Reply #132: January 26, 2015, 03:10:49 PM »
Betts would fit right in here.
Hence why I said it would be great for both teams.

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #133: January 26, 2015, 03:20:11 PM »
Hence why I said it would be great for both teams.
I just reiterated, is that OK with you?

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #134: January 26, 2015, 03:23:49 PM »

Careful...once someone agrees with Slate, he's compelled to take the other side of the argument...  :P

Offline Ray D

« Reply #135: January 26, 2015, 03:26:10 PM »
Betts has played all of 52 major league games.  And you'd trade him for Strasburg?

Online Slateman

« Reply #136: January 26, 2015, 03:30:49 PM »
And I reiterated that that's why I said it.
Betts has played all of 52 major league games.  And you'd trade him for Strasburg?
In a heartbeat. Betts has been an on base speedster for a while, showing plus defense at second and in CF. Turns out, his bat plays too. You trade 2 years of the mental midget for 5 years of a 4+ WAR every day player.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #137: January 26, 2015, 03:51:29 PM »
In a heartbeat. Betts has been an on base speedster for a while, showing plus defense at second and in CF. Turns out, his bat plays too. You trade 2 years of the mental midget for 5 years of a 4+ WAR every day player.
Over the years we've had a number of speedsters with great defense, who couldn't get on base hence were useless.  52 games is not sufficient to establish an ability to get on base.   

And .... "mental midget"?   Where does this nonsense come from?  We have pitchers with very different personalitlies - Strasburg, Gio, Zimmermann, and Fister, four completely different personalities. Strasburg is perhaps on the high-edge, sensitive side. So what?

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #138: January 26, 2015, 04:02:46 PM »

And .... "mental midget"?   Where does this nonsense come from?  We have pitchers with very different personalitlies - Strasburg, Gio, Zimmermann, and Fister, four completely different personalities. Strasburg is perhaps on the high-edge, sensitive side. So what?

I think I "tagged " him with that name originally.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #139: January 26, 2015, 04:20:28 PM »
I think people, including myself, would trade Strasburg for Betts because Betts seems to be about as much of a sure thing for a prospect as you can be, and he plays a position of need and projects to be a plus-plus player possibly as soon as this season.

Offline whytev

« Reply #140: January 26, 2015, 04:35:22 PM »
I think people, including myself, would trade Strasburg for Betts because Betts seems to be about as much of a sure thing for a prospect as you can be, and he plays a position of need and projects to be a plus-plus player possibly as soon as this season.

And so many controllable years for cheap.

I'd sure like them to sweeten the pot too though.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #141: January 26, 2015, 04:39:00 PM »
I'd sure like them to sweeten the pot too though.

probably the other way around

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #142: January 26, 2015, 04:57:30 PM »
Trade Stras for some slap hitting infielder who's played a few weeks in the majors? No thanks.

And if you trade Stras and then JZimm and Fister walk next year, you've effectively decimated the SP staff. Even if the young guns like Giolito, Cole, Treinen, etc. are ready, I don't think you want to go there.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #143: January 26, 2015, 05:08:26 PM »

You get it. This line of thinking really gets comical at times...my favorite is when fans try to read Stras's body language on the mound. :rofl:

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #144: January 26, 2015, 05:15:32 PM »
You get it. This line of thinking really gets comical at times...my favorite is when fans try to read Stras's body language on the mound. :rofl:

So, then you don't subscribe to the notion that observers can make reasonable interpretations?

Offline Ray D

« Reply #145: January 26, 2015, 05:24:22 PM »
So, then you don't subscribe to the notion that observers can make reasonable interpretations?

Well, not to respond to the question in general, I don't think that Strasburg's body language is readable.   

Gio has readable  body language (let's you know when he's happy and when he's unhappy),  Fister has "happy" body language (always "happy"), Zimmermann has no body language, and Strasburg has complex and unreadable body language.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #146: January 26, 2015, 05:25:53 PM »
Trade Stras for some slap hitting infielder who's played a few weeks in the majors? No thanks.

And if you trade Stras and then JZimm and Fister walk next year, you've effectively decimated the SP staff. Even if the young guns like Giolito, Cole, Treinen, etc. are ready, I don't think you want to go there.
Who is this slap hitting infielder you are talking about?  Not Betts, unless you are saying an .814 OPS in the majors and .895 - .995 at every level of the minors is slap hitting.   Not 20 HR power at this point (or likely ever), but 30 doubles in 400 minor league AA and AAA PAs last year.  he's raked at every level.

There's a ton of high end FA pitchers hitting the market next year.  If we did trade SS and let JZ and Fister hit the market, there's plenty of opportunities to pick up a #2 behind Scherzer.  My preference would be to sign one of the 3 potential FAs first, but SS should not be untouchable.

Online Slateman

« Reply #147: January 26, 2015, 05:46:22 PM »
Over the years we've had a number of speedsters with great defense, who couldn't get on base hence were useless.  52 games is not sufficient to establish an ability to get on base.   

Betts has had double digit walk rates his entire minor league career, has OPS'd over .800 everywhere. He's basically Altuve  with more walks.

Strasburg is a mentally weak. He cried about being shut down. Cried about it being to hot. Cried about icy hot. Cried about the mound being bad. Cried about being told to pitch inside. He has naged about every little thing and continued to struggle when it mattered. He's the definition of not an ace. He's definitely not the pheneom we all thought he would be. He's not even going to be the best pitcher in his draft class, nor on his team.

As JCA said, if he's a slap hitter, so are Jose Altuve, Howie Kendrick, and Ben Zobrist. In other words, he's not. Dude is going to be a monster and the Nats should consider themselves lucky if they only have to give up Strasburg (who is gone in two years anyway).

Plenty of starting pitching to add to the rotation next offseason. Cueto, Chacin , Gallardo, Latos Leake, and Samardzija  will all be on the market. Any one of them can fortify the rotation until the young guys get up. And to be perfectly honest, I'd much rather just tell Jordan we'll match whatever offer he gets plus a little more and trade Strasburg. JZ has it. The man is a beast and we should ride him to the world series.

Strasburg will never win a Cy Young. He will never win "the big game." He is not the next Verlander, Wainwright, or Bumgarner. He doesn't have the mentality for it. He's simply going to be a very good pitcher, who chokes when it counts the most.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #148: January 26, 2015, 05:54:26 PM »
My preference would be to sign one of the 3 potential FAs first, but SS should not be untouchable.

I will accept this. Nats need to lock up one of three before trading or letting the other two go.

As for surefire prospects, I gave up on that notion after Lastings Milledge.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #149: January 26, 2015, 05:55:52 PM »

That's a leap of Olympic proportions. All I said was that trying to read body language is comical. Let's just say it's not an exact science, shall we?