Author Topic: Have a seat at the bar.  (Read 79821 times)

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
Re: Have a seat at the bar.
« Reply #450: December 03, 2012, 12:14:31 AM »
My friends swear by Fireball as their go-to campfire hootch.  Never tried it myself, but it can't be any worse than some of the distilled death I had in Indonesia last month.  As for scotch, JW red might be the best value out there...Famous Grouse sucks ass in comparison

I can now see why.  Tastes like liquid atomic fireballs.  Really taste and really warming.  Going to have a taste of the 101 next.

Also had a little drop of bitters to see what it tasted like and what it might impart to a drink.  Tastes kinda "cool" unless that's just due to the Fireball that's still lingering :lol:

Offline Dave B

« Reply #451: December 03, 2012, 11:48:54 PM »
Dilutes it too much for my taste. I also tend to pour a sizable amount and sip it over a long period of time. I really like it with a hoppy ale.

i also feel like it takes the good taste out and leaves you with just alcohol taste, but maybe a little smoother

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #452: December 21, 2012, 08:25:23 AM »
Greatest booze bargain of all time: full litre of The Famous Grouse blended Scotch whisky for just 11 pounds (bit under US$18 at current rates) when buying from duty-free aboard British Airways flights, as I did this past Tuesday.

To compare: a 750mL bottle of the same brand will run you over $25 at the off-licence near my office (about midway between the Capitol and Verizon Centre) where I usually buy my spirits.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #453: December 21, 2012, 04:50:00 PM »
Greatest booze bargain of all time: full litre of The Famous Grouse blended Scotch whisky for just 11 pounds (bit under US$18 at current rates) when buying from duty-free aboard British Airways flights, as I did this past Tuesday.

To compare: a 750mL bottle of the same brand will run you over $25 at the off-licence near my office (about midway between the Capitol and Verizon Centre) where I usually buy my spirits.

I used to buy this crap called Rebel Yell back in the day. It was a cinnamon schnapps but about 101proof or something like that. crap was hi octane :lol: First time I ever woke up bald was after a night of Rebel Yell. It was like $5 a pint :lol:

Offline Leroy Veritas

« Reply #454: December 23, 2012, 10:50:30 PM »

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #455: January 01, 2013, 05:53:32 PM »
Got my first bottle of scotch for Christmas. Glenlivet 12 year old, the youngest in their product range).

I'm trying to develop some grown-up tastes. At 53.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #456: January 01, 2013, 06:39:48 PM »
Got my first bottle of scotch for Christmas. Glenlivet 12 year old, the youngest in their product range).

I've never been much for scotch, but it's oft considered the high end for whisky afficianados.

Speaking of which (whisky) I got a bottle of Knob Creek bourbon for Christmas, but of more interest it was accompanied by a subscription to Whisky Advocate.  The main topic of this issue is peat, which is of course a primary ingredient for making scotch.  They also reviewed other whiskies, including some experimental ryes made by Wasmand's in Sperryville Va. 

http://www.whiskyadvocate.com/default.asp

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #457: January 01, 2013, 06:43:51 PM »
As far as laphroaig is concerned,  peat seems to be the only ingredient.  Single malt is great though,  but carried enough that if the glenlevit isn't your thing something else may be

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #458: January 01, 2013, 06:47:56 PM »
I'd like to try Laphroaig someday.

As far as laphroaig is concerned,  peat seems to be the only ingredient.  Single malt is great though,  but carried enough that if the glenlevit isn't your thing something else may be

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #459: January 02, 2013, 07:27:48 AM »

A good one for starters, as are Speyside malts (Glenfiddich, Aberlour et al) generally - smoother, less peaty. Generally the further west one goes in Scotland, the peatier the whisky.

Still missing The Singleton of Auchroisk though, in production back in the 1990's and not seen since...incredible balance of smoothness and character, the Speyside style at its best.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #460: January 02, 2013, 10:14:33 AM »
One of my fave malts is 13 year cask-strength Edradour.  It's strong (110+ proof), but smooth as can be. 

Still missing The Singleton of Auchroisk though, in production back in the 1990's and not seen since...incredible balance of smoothness and character, the Speyside style at its best.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #461: January 02, 2013, 12:32:33 PM »
Speaking of which (whisky) I got a bottle of Knob Creek bourbon for Christmas, but of more interest...

Update, I actually looked at the bottle more closely and tasted, it's a select bottling and 120 proof.    :shock:

Powerful flavor.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #462: January 02, 2013, 12:45:58 PM »
My wife got me a bottle of Crown with rocks glasses for drinking on New Years Eve - then I didn't open it and it still sits waiting for the perfect moment...

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #463: January 02, 2013, 01:17:57 PM »
I'd like to try Laphroaig someday.

I find it to be very grassy-toned. I like it a lot....

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #464: January 02, 2013, 01:20:03 PM »
I find it to be very grassy-toned. I like it a lot....

maybe I'm a wuss, I think it tastes like medicine

Offline saltydad

« Reply #465: January 02, 2013, 04:13:56 PM »
maybe I'm a wuss, I think it tastes like medicine

For some reason I find Scotch per se reminds me of high class Robitussin. Good aged Irish is the way to go for me.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #466: February 17, 2013, 10:05:45 PM »
Maker's Mark will remain at 45% alcohol after previously announcing it was going to 43%.

For that, I might have to have a manhattan tonight.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/02/17/news/makers-mark-bourbon/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Offline Leroy Veritas

« Reply #467: February 18, 2013, 02:23:08 PM »
If you get the chance, get some Green Hat Gin.  First spirit distilled legally in DC since before prohibition and pretty tasty.  A few downtown bars are doing Gin Rickey's with GHG as an homage to the former power drink of DC.

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.
« Reply #468: February 19, 2013, 09:22:34 AM »

Recently discovered Moscow Mules....which lead to the discovery of Foghorns....much variety in the flavor of Ginger Beer out there

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #469: February 19, 2013, 09:29:18 AM »
My B-I-L made me something called a Rusty nail the other day. Johnnie Walker Black and Drambuie (I think) on the rocks.

Too sweet, but it was interesting. I felt, though, like it was on the verge of being a ladies' drink. Was I drinking a ladies' drink?

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #470: February 19, 2013, 09:31:07 AM »
My next bottle will be either Roundstone Rye or Mosby's Spirit from Catoctin Creek Distilling in Purcellville, VA. I've been wanting to try Rye Whiskey, and this is 100%, organic Rye, locally made.

If you get the chance, get some Green Hat Gin.  First spirit distilled legally in DC since before prohibition and pretty tasty.  A few downtown bars are doing Gin Rickey's with GHG as an homage to the former power drink of DC.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #471: February 19, 2013, 12:21:26 PM »
My next bottle will be either Roundstone Rye or Mosby's Spirit from Catoctin Creek Distilling in Purcellville, VA. I've been wanting to try Rye Whiskey, and this is 100%, organic Rye, locally made.

Catoctin Creek Distilling Company will conduct a BOTTLING DAY on Saturday, February 23rd, 2013. Volunteers wanted. We'll buy breakfast for all that attend.

Learn how to bottle, cap, seal, and label Roundstone Rye. Get your chance to work the magic "whisky cow"! This is a fun and informative day! Be a part of history and sign your name on some bottles.

You can even purchase a signed bottle that you filled yourself... what a perfect gift idea!

What:

Catoctin Creek Bottling Day

Where:

37251C East Richardson Lane
Purcellville, VA

When:

Saturday, February 23, 2013
9am - 11am

There's a link to RSVP for those on the mailing list from them.   

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #472: February 19, 2013, 03:59:39 PM »

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #474: February 28, 2013, 08:23:52 PM »
Damnit. Missed it.

I bought a bottle of Catoctin Creek's Mosby's Spirit. Its... different. It's growing on me, but I'm not sure I'll buy it again. Really, it's just ultra-clean 'shine - 100% rye whiskey, un-aged, clear as water.

In a couple of months, I'll try something Irish. Suggestions?

There's a link to RSVP for those on the mailing list from them.