Author Topic: Galaragga's Imperfect Game  (Read 3226 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Galaragga's Imperfect Game
« Reply #50: June 03, 2010, 09:07:29 PM »
I changed the title after seeing it called "the Imperfect Game" on ESPN.

You know, after all the hype this has gotten, I imagine Dallas Braden is wishing his game ended on a blown call at first too.  Galarraga is a major celebrity now.

Oh, and the same guy who was called safe at first was again called safe at first tonight despite arriving at 1st base about half a step after the 1st baseman.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #51: June 03, 2010, 09:15:19 PM »
To us, he'll be the guy that had the perfect game blown.

To the next generation, he wont be known unless someone tells them the story. His name wont be in a record book anywhere for someone to see. It'll be *New Guy* Halladay, Braden, Buerhle, Johnson, >>>>>> etc etc. I think that would suck. People who make the record books will have their names remembered with stats. His wont, but he'll have a story. Whether it is passed on or not kind of stinks. I hope he gets remembered somehow.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #52: June 03, 2010, 09:22:25 PM »
Look, stats are cute, but Hammonds has a point. Hohn the fool ruined a whole game. That affects the Nats' record. That affects standings, draft order, and who knows what. Why overturn something meaningless when an actual game sits stolen?

Leave it alone.

Offline imref

« Reply #53: June 03, 2010, 09:36:16 PM »
To us, he'll be the guy that had the perfect game blown.

To the next generation, he wont be known unless someone tells them the story. His name wont be in a record book anywhere for someone to see. It'll be *New Guy* Halladay, Braden, Buerhle, Johnson, >>>>>> etc etc. I think that would suck. People who make the record books will have their names remembered with stats. His wont, but he'll have a story. Whether it is passed on or not kind of stinks. I hope he gets remembered somehow.

You have a point, but for Galarraga, he'll have a lot more fame and fortune in this life then if he had gotten the correct call on Monday.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #54: June 03, 2010, 09:38:30 PM »
You have a point, but for Galarraga, he'll have a lot more fame and fortune in this life then if he had gotten the correct call on Monday.

Galarraga seems like a class individual, and more power to him. He's a very good pitcher, I guess. Rangers were insane for waiving him.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #55: June 03, 2010, 09:57:32 PM »
Not really.  All that would have happened if he would actually gotten the PG is notoriety and inclusion in an elite club and he'd be just be read off a list.  Now, he'll be the guy who had it stolen and he'll live in folk lore for a long time and that can carry a guy a lot longer than being read off a list, unless it includes the Heisman trophy or a green sport coat, at least as far as sports go.  His memory will live on a lot more vividly having it stolen, there may never be anyone else who has a game stolen from him like this again.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #56: June 03, 2010, 10:45:19 PM »
I'm just pissed that Jimbo traded him for Soriano.  Who would you rather have now?

Offline imref

« Reply #57: June 03, 2010, 11:06:51 PM »
Not really.  All that would have happened if he would actually gotten the PG is notoriety and inclusion in an elite club and he'd be just be read off a list.  Now, he'll be the guy who had it stolen and he'll live in folk lore for a long time and that can carry a guy a lot longer than being read off a list, unless it includes the Heisman trophy or a green sport coat, at least as far as sports go.  His memory will live on a lot more vividly having it stolen, there may never be anyone else who has a game stolen from him like this again.

you are missing the point, he'll do every reality show under the sun over the next few years, he'll be this generation's william perry, screech, and leif garret rolled into one!

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #58: June 03, 2010, 11:28:05 PM »
you are missing the point, he'll do every reality show under the sun over the next few years, he'll be this generation's william perry, screech, and leif garret rolled into one!
Actually, I think that's what I was trying to say...I may have misread the post I responded too...

:-[

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #59: June 03, 2010, 11:43:08 PM »
I'm just pissed that Jimbo traded him for Soriano.  Who would you rather have now?

With the way Soriano is hitting, Soriano.

Plus, Galarraga is a career 4.50 ERA pitcher. Nothing about him is great, other than his imperfect game.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #60: June 03, 2010, 11:43:51 PM »

Jordan Zimmermann, por favor. Team needs a strikeout pitcher.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #61: June 04, 2010, 02:00:30 AM »
There ain't no crying in baseball inless you are Frank Robinson pining over the fat man.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #62: June 04, 2010, 08:39:35 AM »

Plus, Galarraga is a career 4.50 ERA pitcher. Nothing about him is great, other than his imperfect game.

Many no-hitters have been thrown by pitchers who were vastly less-than-great.

In 1953, Bobo Holloman of the St Louis Browns threw a no-hitter in his first MLB match...he went back to the minors not long afterward and never saw the bright lights of the big leagues again. And this was at a 100-loss Browns team which in the following season would become the 100-loss debut edition of the Baltimore Orioles...it wasn't like he was trying to crack the Yankees or Indians staffs of those days or something.

Back in 2006 I saw the Nats' Ramon Ortiz go to within 3 outs of a no-hitter against the Cardinals...he's Cooperstown-bound, right? Another time at RFK I saw a Nats pitcher (I forget whom) go at least to the 7th against the Braves with a no-no till Brian McCann broke it up with a solo homer.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #63: June 04, 2010, 09:38:18 AM »

Back in 2006 I saw the Nats' Ramon Ortiz go to within 3 outs of a no-hitter against the Cardinals...he's Cooperstown-bound, right? Another time at RFK I saw a Nats pitcher (I forget whom) go at least to the 7th against the Braves with a no-no till Brian McCann broke it up with a solo homer.
That would be :bball:

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #64: June 04, 2010, 10:38:45 AM »
Soriano ultimately got us Jordan Zimmermann, so no I don't mind that we don't have Galaragga.

Offline Gnome

« Reply #65: June 09, 2010, 06:01:59 PM »
I wrote this up after the "perfecto". It seems we're a little past discussing the game itself at this point, but I'll post anyhow.

Armando Galarraga threw the 21st Perfect Game in Major League Baseball history on June 2nd, 2010.

Galarraga knew it.

"You guys like me all watched the TV and saw the replays," Galarraga said, "and for any pitcher in any league anywhere, that was a perfect game. When you watch the replays, it was totally an out. There's no way he can call that safe. That's what made me sad. I can't help it. I really can't help it."1

The 27th out, Jason Donald, knew it.

"Yeah," Donald said Thursday morning, "I was out."2

First base umpire Jim Joyce knew it.

"It was the biggest call of my career," an emotional Joyce told reporters, "and I kicked it. I just cost that kid a perfect game. I had a great angle, and I missed the call."1

Even Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig knew it.

"As Jim Joyce said in his postgame comments, there is no dispute that last night's game should have ended differently.”3

And yet, it wasn’t a Perfect Game. Joyce called Donald safe at first base and the call will not be overturned. Galarraga will have to settle with a 1 hit shutout of the Cleveland Indians instead of a Perfect Game.

This doesn’t need to happen. Selig could overturn the call and grant the Tiger’s pitcher his well deserved perfecto. Jon Heyman of Sports Illustrated tweets : “selig didnt think it would be practical to reverse this 1 call and was concerned about the precedent.”

Didn’t think it would be practical?

If you reverse the call, Galarraga gets a Perfect Game and baseball history gets richer. The Tiger organization gets their first Perfect Game in club history (dating back to 1901). 49 more players will be able to say they were part of a Perfect Game. 4 umpires can say the same thing. 17,7384 more baseball fans get to say they witnessed a Perfect Game in person. Umpire Jim Joyce will be able to have his mind put as ease, knowing his botched call didn’t prevent a Perfect Game after all. It would also prove to the sporting world that Major League Baseball isn’t afraid to use technology to get important calls right.

Unfortunately, none of that will occur. I guess it’s just not practical.

1: http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100602&content_id=10727590&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

2: http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100603&content_id=10755516&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

3: http://mlb.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20100603&content_id=10760448&vkey=pr_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

4: http://mlb.mlb.com/news/boxscore.jsp?gid=2010_06_02_clemlb_detmlb_1

I was at a game in 2008 where Gavin Floyd was 2 outs away from no-hitting the Twins. Mauer put one in the alley between Quentin and a diving Swisher.

Offline imref

« Reply #66: June 28, 2010, 04:27:30 PM »
Hitler reacts:

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #67: June 28, 2010, 04:29:13 PM »
I wrote this up after the "perfecto". It seems we're a little past discussing the game itself at this point, but I'll post anyhow.

I was at a game in 2008 where Gavin Floyd was 2 outs away from no-hitting the Twins. Mauer put one in the alley between Quentin and a diving Swisher.

Not 100% sure, but I think those quotes are common knowledge aka not necessary to cite

*I realize I'm late :)

Offline Gnome

« Reply #68: June 29, 2010, 11:40:43 AM »
Not 100% sure, but I think those quotes are common knowledge aka not necessary to cite

Yeah, probably, but I figured I'd cite them anyhow.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #69: June 29, 2010, 01:01:35 PM »

Gnome the message board poster is right to cite them. Bobby Lodson wouldn't need to. Just my 2 cents.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #70: June 29, 2010, 01:22:02 PM »

Gnome the message board poster is right to cite them. Bobby Lodson wouldn't need to. Just my 2 cents.

Was it a message board post? I had the impression that it was from his blog or something.

Offline Gnome

« Reply #71: June 29, 2010, 03:45:46 PM »
Was it a message board post? I had the impression that it was from his blog or something.
It was originally a Facebook note, but I felt it I could use it as a board post as well.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #72: June 29, 2010, 05:47:26 PM »
It was originally a Facebook note, but I felt it I could use it as a board post as well.

It was quite good. But AFAIK you aren't a beat reporter, so I appreciated the citations.

Offline Gnome

« Reply #73: June 30, 2010, 06:38:31 PM »
It was quite good. But AFAIK you aren't a beat reporter, so I appreciated the citations.
Thanks. As far as the citations, I guess I'm just stuck in college paper mode.