Author Topic: Internet Explorer 6 & 7 are not supported  (Read 4028 times)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Re: Internet Explorer 6 & 7 are not supported
« Reply #25: September 28, 2011, 12:32:06 PM »
Eh, it's not a big deal. I can always use Firefox to browse. Just thought I'd point it out to you.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #26: September 28, 2011, 12:33:48 PM »
Eh, it's not a big deal. I can always use Firefox to browse. Just thought I'd point it out to you.

Appreciated, been trying to get a copy of IE7 up and running for a few days anyway to check out tom's poll issue, but the ISO we had at work was corrupted and the one I just installed seems to be hung at the login screen :smh:

STOP USING IE7, PEOPLE!!! :asplode:

:halo:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #27: September 28, 2011, 01:04:06 PM »
Chief, for whatever reason I can't see the options above the forum. For example, as you can see in this photo, Home is highlighted, but things like messages, profile, etc. is all hidden unless you click on them. Is this how it's supposed to look?

This is using IE 7.0.

I am using IE 7 as well, but they appear when I "hover" over them, I don't need to click.

I think Chief used black text with a dark blue background that just makes the options hard to see.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #28: September 28, 2011, 01:04:43 PM »
I am using IE 7 as well, but they appear when I "hover" over them, I don't need to click.

I think Chief used black text with a dark blue background that just makes the options hard to see.

They appear when I hover over them as well.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #29: September 28, 2011, 01:06:32 PM »

They appear when I hover over them as well.

They're actually visible, but the font is too close to the background color.  On both my monitors, I can see them better if I tilt the screen away from me.  I would not do that for other reasons but it proves they are there, just a lack of contrast that inhibits viewing.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #30: September 28, 2011, 01:07:01 PM »

It's supposed to be black text with a white background.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #31: September 28, 2011, 01:11:38 PM »
It's supposed to be black text with a white background.

Yes.  Both of your browsers are doing it wrong.  Also, the page validates, so it's definitely IE's fault and not the site.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #32: September 28, 2011, 01:16:48 PM »
Yes.  Both of your browsers are doing it wrong.  Also, the page validates, so it's definitely IE's fault and not the site.

:blah:

As an FYI, here's my typical view:

Offline The Chief

« Reply #33: September 28, 2011, 01:41:25 PM »
:blah:

Okay then:

Internet Explorer 7 and earlier are NOT supported on this site.  Do not submit problems if you are using Internet Explorer 7 or earlier as they will not be addressed.  WNFF.net recommends Mozilla Firefox 3.6 or later, any version of Google Chrome, Internet Explorer 8 or later, or the latest version of Safari or Opera.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #34: September 28, 2011, 01:43:39 PM »
New forum policy.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #35: September 28, 2011, 01:57:14 PM »
I apologize if I seem frustrated - I am - IE7 is extremely old by web standards, and is known to be on the extreme low end of compliance with those standards.  As this site is a labor of love, I try to make it the best I can for anyone who comes here, but there are some things that are just beyond the realm of reasonable expectations.

On top of that, encouraging people to leave behind IE6 and 7 is doing them a favor.  Both browsers are generally unsafe to use in any environment.  I sympathize with those who are stuck using them in their workplaces, but the best alternative is to install a third-party browser.  Most if not all will happily install with limited rights.