Author Topic: DSL Problems  (Read 1484 times)

Offline saltydad

DSL Problems
« Topic Start: February 22, 2008, 06:41:10 PM »
I won't be able to post as often due to a DSL problem. My speed has dropped from 1.5 mbps to 26 kbps. Every page load takes foever. Verizon tested my lines (remotely from India!) and says it's their problem. They are sending a tech out Monday. This is so frustrating. However, I then think of the problems Calsgr8 is going through, and feel humbled as to what really is important. Hope to be able to speak with you soon.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Re: DSL Problems
« Reply #1: February 22, 2008, 06:45:24 PM »
I won't be able to post as often due to a DSL problem. My speed has dropped from 1.5 mbps to 26 kbps. Every page load takes foever. Verizon tested my lines (remotely from India!) and says it's their problem. They are sending a tech out Monday. This is so frustrating. However, I then think of the problems Calsgr8 is going through, and feel humbled as to what really is important. Hope to be able to speak with you soon.

How long did it take to start this thread?    :lol:

Hopefully you get that fixed soon saltydad.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #2: February 22, 2008, 09:33:53 PM »
 :'(  Can't offer support or even PM him if the speed is THAT BAD.  Hope he gets up and running soon!

natsfan1a

« Reply #3: February 22, 2008, 10:22:54 PM »
Hope they get things squared away for you on Monday, salty. I've found Verizon to be very responsive regarding any issues with our FIOS Internet service. We've only really had one glitch, which was when our router died. It happened going into a long holiday weekend so they told us that the replacement router would not get to us until the following Tuesday. As it turned out, it arrived on Monday after all and we were able to swap it in and get going again.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #4: February 25, 2008, 11:25:11 AM »
Well, the Verizon tech just left and I'm back to 1.5 mbps.  :P This time it was a modem problem. He didn't have one on the truck, so he went back to his office and returned in about a hour with a new one. This time I have a wireless modem, so if I go laptop I'm all set. He also was really plugging FIOS, and said I probably will pay about the same if I switch to Fios internet and phone, so both are already Verizon. The FIOS will also be faster than my current DSL.  I need to keep Dish for my TV as I have a contract for another 18 months with them. I'll have to research it. But I'm SO PLEASED with the fast and efficient tech support from Verizon.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #5: February 25, 2008, 11:38:02 AM »
Glad your hooked up again!  And FIOS is GREAT!

Offline spidernat

« Reply #6: February 25, 2008, 11:39:30 AM »
I'm not. Verizon makes it nearly impossible to get someone to help out with problems, at least in my case. I switched my DIRECTV to FiOS so now I have all 3 and got a notice that to get the discount rate I have to go online and accept the bundle terms within 30 days but I cannot log in with the ID and password they provided me with and I can't get anyone on the phone to fix the problem. I feel like going back to DIRECTV just for that :?

Offline saltydad

« Reply #7: February 25, 2008, 11:44:26 AM »
I'm not. Verizon makes it nearly impossible to get someone to help out with problems, at least in my case. I switched my DIRECTV to FiOS so now I have all 3 and got a notice that to get the discount rate I have to go online and accept the bundle terms within 30 days but I cannot log in with the ID and password they provided me with and I can't get anyone on the phone to fix the problem. I feel like going back to DIRECTV just for that :?

That's not cool. My "baby" brother has FIOS (all 3) and he only had a problem with his internet service initially too. But it was finally fixed (he used dial-up in the interim) and instead of swearing at Verizon, he now swears by them. Another brother is going the all 3 FIOS route; he said they already dug for the lines but he has to wait for March before they can do the install, as it takes about half a day. Hope your problem is fixed soon.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #8: February 25, 2008, 11:50:22 AM »
I'm not having an issue with the service at all. The picture quality is great (the only issue I have is that their guide isn't as good as DIRECTV's). I don't like how sneaky they are about the supposed savings package (they also added channels I did not order so I hope they aren't charging for them). 

Offline saltydad

« Reply #9: February 25, 2008, 11:52:21 AM »
The picture quality is great (the only issue I have is that their guide isn't as good as DIRECTV's). I don't like how sneaky they are about the supposed savings package (they also added channels I did not order so I hope they aren't charging for them). 

Picture better than satellite? Maybe the added channels are like the "3 months free" stuff, so don't forget to cancel before the 3 month ends. That's how they get you.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #10: February 25, 2008, 11:57:17 AM »
Picture better than satellite? Maybe the added channels are like the "3 months free" stuff, so don't forget to cancel before the 3 month ends. That's how they get you.

Yes I think the picture is better. Ask kimnat her opinion on it also.

Well if it's free they should've told me instead of having to find out by accident. That way I could've thanked them but declined the offer. My nephew was flipping through the channels and discovered that we were getting a couple pictureso channels so I had to place parental locks on the TV's :?

Offline saltydad

« Reply #11: February 25, 2008, 12:09:26 PM »
Yes I think the picture is better. Ask kimnat her opinion on it also.

Well if it's free they should've told me instead of having to find out by accident. That way I could've thanked them but declined the offer. My nephew was flipping through the channels and discovered that we were getting a couple pictureso channels so I had to place parental locks on the TV's :?

OOPS

Offline kimnat

« Reply #12: February 25, 2008, 12:09:56 PM »
Pic is AWESOME!  We got some stuff for free for the first month.  Call them and double check.  I will admit, it is hard to reach the right "office" w/ all the confounded menu systems.  But we love FiOS.  Guide w/ DTV, definitely better, but the HD for sports is totally terrific!  Can't wait to watch baseball on it!

natsfan1a

« Reply #13: February 25, 2008, 12:10:00 PM »
Glad to hear that Verizon got you squared away, salty (don't forget to watch the Belushi video :) ). I was also happy with the tech support service for the FIOS Internet, as mentioned before.

Bummer that you're having problems getting through to them, spider. We have our landline phone service through Verizon as well as the FIOS Internet, and I've found it easier to get through to the Internet people  than the phone people for some reason (also, my impression has been that the each of the divisions doesn't seem to know what the other is doing for the most part).

Offline saltydad

« Reply #14: February 25, 2008, 12:14:33 PM »
Damn; they pulled the video from Youtube. Oh well....I greatly appreciate the thought 1a.

natsfan1a

« Reply #15: February 25, 2008, 12:16:46 PM »
:doh: Sorry about the bum link. I suppose there were copyright issues.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #16: February 25, 2008, 12:30:35 PM »
(also, my impression has been that the each of the divisions doesn't seem to know what the other is doing for the most part).

Exactly. They're like a bad Three's Company episode :?

natsfan1a

« Reply #17: February 25, 2008, 01:07:33 PM »
Oh great, now I'll have that theme song running through my mind for the rest of the day. :lol:

nospinzone1

« Reply #18: February 25, 2008, 07:59:59 PM »
I WAS OUT OF COMMISSION FOR ABOUT A DAY AND VERIZON DSL HELP DESK WAS FANTASTIC. HAD A YOUNG LADY THAT SPENT ABOUT 20 MINUTES WITH ME TO RESTORE ME .

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #19: February 25, 2008, 09:20:16 PM »
I could probably get DSL, but not FIOS jussst yet.  I checked at the Home Show and they say it hasn't hit my area of Manassas yet.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #20: February 25, 2008, 09:32:44 PM »
Kim-Did you have HD when you had satellite? I wonder how much of the picture improvement may be due to upgrading to HD. My HD channels just blow me away; they're almost like 3-D. Standard def is also MUCH better than when I had the roof antenna.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #21: February 25, 2008, 09:50:09 PM »
We had an HD tv then, but because of arrangements w/ the "southern or southwestern sky", we never could get that with DTV.   What we have now is much better than standard satellite.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #22: February 27, 2008, 02:05:13 PM »
Well, after talking with a Verizon salesperson, I found out it's only $6 more a month for me to upgrade to Fios for both phone and internet (keeping Dish for TV). So I have an install appointment for monday, March 10th. I'm definitely looking forward to 5 megs instead of 1.5 downloads.

natsfan1a

« Reply #23: February 27, 2008, 02:08:28 PM »
That's cool. 8) I think that you'll enjoy the FIOS Internet service. It's been very reliable for us over the past year and a half or so.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #24: February 27, 2008, 02:28:53 PM »
Well, after talking with a Verizon salesperson, I found out it's only $6 more a month for me to upgrade to Fios for both phone and internet (keeping Dish for TV). So I have an install appointment for monday, March 10th. I'm definitely looking forward to 5 megs instead of 1.5 downloads.

Did you say you're still under contract with Dish and that is why you're holding on to that saltydad?