Author Topic: Michael Young Is Pulling A Soriano  (Read 1378 times)

Michael Young Is Pulling A Soriano
« Topic Start: January 12, 2009, 11:51:02 AM »
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=mlb/news/newstest.aspx?id=4203127

Report: Rangers' Young asks for trade

Arlington, TX (Sports Network) - Unhappy with the Rangers' request for him to shift to third base, Texas shortstop Michael Young has reportedly asked for a trade.

According to a story on the Rangers' official Web site, club general manager Jon Daniels and manager Ron Washington asked Young during a meeting in December to make the shift. Texas wants to open a spot for minor league shortstop Elvis Andrus, one of the key pieces the Rangers acquired from the Braves in the July 31, 2007 trade that sent Mark Teixeira to Atlanta.

According to the story on Texas' site, Young is opposed to the move because he said Daniels and Washington didn't give him a choice and was instead told he would be the team's third baseman this upcoming season.

This is not the first time the Rangers have asked Young to switch positions. The 32-year-old began his career as a second baseman, but moved to short prior to the 2004 season when Texas traded Alex Rodriguez to the New York Yankees.

He has spent his last five seasons at shortstop, making five straight All-Star appearances while winning his first Gold Glove award in 2008. He has never had a fielding percentage below .972 since moving to short while continuing to be a force at the plate. Young hit .284 last season after batting over .300 in each of his previous five seasons.

Young also hit 12 homers with 82 runs batted in and 102 runs scored in 2008. He ended the season with 183 hits, ending a string of five consecutive seasons with at least 200 hits.

Despite the request, Daniels said in the report that no deal is looming with regards to Young, who signed a seven-year contract extension with Texas in March of 2007 that was to keep him with the club through the 2013 season.

In 1,216 career games -- all with the Rangers -- Young is hitting .300 with 115 homers, 652 RBI and 743 runs scored.

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: Michael Young Is Pulling A Soriano
« Reply #1: January 12, 2009, 11:53:50 AM »
He's 32 and just signed a multi year contract, its not like staying at ss will help his value. Maybe we can get Amdrus if he refuses? Come on Bowden, five star prospect for nothing - you can do it.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #2: January 12, 2009, 11:56:31 AM »
He's 32 and just signed a multi year contract, its not like staying at ss will help his value. Maybe we can get Amdrus if he refuses? Come on Bowden, five star prospect for nothing - you can do it.

I don't think it works that way but nice try.  :lol:

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #3: January 12, 2009, 12:00:05 PM »
I don't think it works that way but nice try.  :lol:

Does Andrus have to hit his wife or get tased by the police first?

« Reply #4: January 12, 2009, 12:09:00 PM »
A friend of mine is saying they should move Guzman to 2B and pick up M. Young for SS.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #5: January 12, 2009, 12:23:30 PM »
Michael Young would cost a lot.

But it's smart for the Rangers to trade him anyway if the Rangers are intent on using Andrus at SS.

Offline LARRYbroadway

"Another" option at 2B: Michael Young
« Reply #6: January 12, 2009, 12:27:13 PM »
The Rangers have asked Micheal Young to move to 3B, and he's upset about it and has asked for a trade.  He used to play 2B, and made the move to SS to replace A-Rod when he was traded to the Yanks.  He's a doubles hitters with occasional pop, so he's not really suited for middle of the lineup duty, but he's another solid bat to add to a lineup that was awful at scoring runs last season.

I wonder what Texas would want in return?  If we could land him without doing damage to the players we already have, it would make for a nice lineup:

2B M.Young
SS Guzman
3B Zimmerman
1B Johnson/D.Young
LF Willingham
RF Dukes
C Flores
CF Milledge

Re: "Another" option at 2B: Michael Young
« Reply #7: January 12, 2009, 12:33:50 PM »
Check it out here, dude: http://www.wnff.net/index.php/topic,11813.msg316984/boardseen.html#new

If Young is giving the Rangers crap for wanting to move him away from SS, what makes you think he'll come here and take a different position? True, he once played 2B but he didn't become a 5?-time All-Star and win a Gold Glove playing it.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #8: January 12, 2009, 12:34:29 PM »
If he doesn't want to move to 3rd what makes you think he'll agree to move to 2nd? And as ACTA stated in the other thread, he would cost too much and at his age I don't think it would be worth it. Also, let's keep this in mind about his new contract:

"no-trade protection 2007-09, limited no-trade protection from 2010 to May, 2011 (submits list of 8 clubs to which he'd accept trade), before receiving 10-and-5 rights in May, 2011" 

Would the Nats be on that list of 8 clubs to which he'd accept a trade to? Of course he's asking for a trade so his demands may have to be changed. But I think with the Lerner's being so cheap this would be the biggest obstacle:

"09-13:$16M annually (total of $15M deferred)"

Maybe tomterp can merge this thread with the other one by NOTLD.

« Reply #9: January 12, 2009, 12:39:21 PM »
I think the Nats are more than satisfied with the "renewed, post-eye surgery" Guzman and aren't going to be looking to upgrade at a position they are already set at when they need to upgrade in so many other areas.

Offline soxfan59

• Gough, Gough White Sox!!!
    • John R. Russell, Ltd.
« Reply #10: January 12, 2009, 12:41:05 PM »
Michael Young would cost a lot.

But it's smart for the Rangers to trade him anyway if the Rangers are intent on using Andrus at SS.

Lots of rumors in the Chicago media that the White Sox might trade Jermaine Dye for Young. 

Can't see that happening -- as Texas has also asked for one of our young pitchers too, which Kenny Williams says he won't do. 

I don't like the fact that Young's in a big, long term expensive contract and his offensive production, while still decent, has steadily deteriorated over the last 4 years. 

hisownfool

« Reply #11: January 12, 2009, 01:00:03 PM »
But I think with the Lerner's being so cheap this would be the biggest obstacle:

The biggest obstacle is that we have nothing the Rangers would want or if we have it it's not a price worth paying, i.e., a top pitching prospect.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #12: January 12, 2009, 01:10:36 PM »

"09-13:$16M annually (total of $15M deferred)"

IMO, he doesn't put up the kind of numbers to justify that salary. IOW, he should count his lucky stars considering the way the market has fallen, STFU and move. Got to give kudos to Jimbo for the hardline approach he took with Soriano in a similar situation.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #13: January 12, 2009, 01:12:55 PM »
IMO, he doesn't put up the kind of numbers to justify that salary.
Eh, he's roughly the same as Hudson.  In fact, his glove at 2B might be a bit better and his contract could be cheaper.

Problem is that we'd actually have to give up something in trade to get him, so there's no point.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #14: January 12, 2009, 01:27:32 PM »
Eh, he's roughly the same as Hudson.  In fact, his glove at 2B might be a bit better and his contract could be cheaper.

Problem is that we'd actually have to give up something in trade to get him, so there's no point.

Maybe I was too subtle in stating why we shouldn't trade for Young.  ;)

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #15: January 12, 2009, 02:50:22 PM »
Move Guz to 2B if need be :)

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #17: January 12, 2009, 03:04:38 PM »
Move Guz to 2B Texas if need be :)

Offline blue911

« Reply #18: January 12, 2009, 04:15:38 PM »
I want a player named Elvis.