Author Topic: Non-alcoholic Drinks  (Read 29976 times)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Soft Drinks
« Reply #225: September 16, 2011, 01:25:41 PM »
As much of a tea guy as I am, I broke down and got a Starbucks decaf tall, through in some skim and cinamon. 

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #226: September 16, 2011, 01:43:33 PM »
Calm down there beefcake jones.  Just 'cause I ain't no sissy drinking coffee connoisseur don't make me some nancy boi.  I got so much check hair Davey Johnson asked me to be his emergency reliever...

read into that what you want. :P

:lol:

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #227: September 16, 2011, 01:44:53 PM »
Here's a vac pot in action.  I have the mini version of the one in the video (skip to about 3:30):

Basically, water goes in the bottom container, coffee goes in the top bowl what has a tube at the bottom.  The top seals into the bottom which heats the water.  As the water boils, the steam causes pressure which forces the hot water up the tube and into the top bowl.  When the cycle is over, the hot plate shuts off.  The sudden loss of the steam volume in the bottom causes a vacuum which sucks the coffee back down.  Coolest looking way to brew coffee.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #228: September 16, 2011, 01:45:04 PM »
I have little French press (for trips when I drive) and one of those folding coffee cups with RT instant inside for that quick and dirty coffee fix in my travel bags. Granted not as necessary now that decent coffee has become more pervasive.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
keurig coffee makers
« Reply #229: September 19, 2011, 11:51:18 PM »
anyone have one?  Would you recommend it?  is it worth the cost?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Re: keurig coffee makers
« Reply #230: September 20, 2011, 09:24:34 AM »
My brother and sister-in-law got one, then my step-nephew and step-niece-in-law, then they got one for my Dad.  Everyone raves on them.  I used it in lieu of a tea kettle when I visit - I just run hot water through it without a K-cup.  If you get coffee at Nats Park, the new coffee stand uses a Keurig.   I like them a lot for convenience.  I suppose if the choice is, "do I buy a coffeemaker or a Keurig," then I think the convenience is great. No need to make a big pot for a caffeine fix. For me, it does not quite make sense b/c I usually brew pots of tea when I'm at home (yes, I'm saying two different things there).  Also, I have to say that the K-cups might get you indicted by the green police (I've yet to make a house arrest at Thanksgiving or Christmas when I visit my brother, but I'm hoping to keep them under surveillance for another 40+ years).

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #231: September 20, 2011, 09:44:26 AM »
If you don't care about your coffee, you will like it well enough. If you do care about coffee, you will find it makes a weak, stale brew.

Just my opinion. We buy and grind (each day) Starbucks French Roast or Mayorga Cubano for a change. So you know what my coffee tastes are. :)

anyone have one?  Would you recommend it?  is it worth the cost?

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #232: September 20, 2011, 09:50:07 AM »
If you don't care about your coffee, you will like it well enough. If you do care about coffee, you will find it makes a weak, stale brew.

Just my opinion.

Agreed. They are fine if you are lazy, but not if you care about the taste of your coffee.

I've since switched to tea, but used to make coffee at home and we have the Keurig machines at the office.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #233: September 20, 2011, 09:50:36 AM »
Nothing says quality like buying your coffee pods exclusively at Dunkin Donuts

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #234: September 20, 2011, 09:52:47 AM »
lol coffee snobs ;)

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #235: September 20, 2011, 10:16:02 AM »
Right, it's not the laziness factor I was writing about - I'm all about the easy. :)

But I just don't think the coffee is as good. If one doesn't care, then hey, go the easy route.
Agreed. They are fine if you are lazy, but not if you care about the taste of your coffee.

I've since switched to tea, but used to make coffee at home and we have the Keurig machines at the office.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #236: September 20, 2011, 10:22:55 AM »
"Give me convenience, or give me death!"

I don't really drink coffee anymore, which has a lot to do with the Keurig maker at the office.  It's serviceable in the same way that Safeway bread and Yeungling are, but it is by no means great (or even good IMHO). 

Maybe with a squirt of Sriracha...

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #237: September 20, 2011, 10:27:33 AM »
Hey, careful what you say about Yuengling :nono: :-[

Sriracha :az:

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #238: September 20, 2011, 10:40:18 AM »
I'm a tea snob, not a coffee snob.

As for coffee, doesn't it kind of depend on the pod you are using?  dunkin's v. caribout v. newman's v. whatever?  Of course, I'm a dunkin drinker, so Gburg would want to rip my heart out and show it to me for that travesty.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #239: September 20, 2011, 10:50:16 AM »

Hey bro, school me on some tea. I have an infuser and just went to Teavana for the first time. Do you get loose tea? If so, what kinds would you recommend?

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #240: September 20, 2011, 10:51:22 AM »
As for coffee, doesn't it kind of depend on the pod you are using?  dunkin's v. caribout v. newman's v. whatever?  Of course, I'm a dunkin drinker, so Gburg would want to rip my heart out and show it to me for that travesty.

Sure, but would a Dunkin K-Cup ever approach some freshly ground Dunkin coffee beans? Doubt it.

Offline imref

« Reply #241: September 20, 2011, 10:52:27 AM »
i usually buy DD whole beans and grind them each morning.  I did have a cup out of Keurig at Giant the other day (they had a demo) and it was very good.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #242: September 20, 2011, 11:18:02 AM »
i usually buy DD whole beans and grind them each morning.  I did have a cup out of Keurig at Giant the other day (they had a demo) and it was very good.

Yeah but DD beans are available at Giant, it's a ploy to get you in the store buying donuts.

Offline imref

« Reply #243: September 20, 2011, 11:22:34 AM »
Yeah but DD beans are available at Giant, it's a ploy to get you in the store buying donuts.

yeah, and DD has been on sale at Giant the last few weeks so we've stocked up.  Personally I don't see the difference between DD beans and 8 O'Clock.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #244: September 20, 2011, 11:26:49 AM »
Hey bro, school me on some tea. I have an infuser and just went to Teavana for the first time. Do you get loose tea? If so, what kinds would you recommend?
Lots of discussion in the soft drink thread.  I have my own blend of 3 loose leaf teas when I'm super serious.

Try oolongs if you like good chinese restaurant tea.  Ti Kwan Yin varies between China and Taiwan, but is very good.  As for greens, I don't know as much, but drink Dragonwell and Gunpowder.

I had something longer written, but I'll give you 3 black loose leaf teas to look for: 

1) Teaism has some very good loose leaf teas. I recommend their Ceylon tea, which is from a great estate (New Vithanakanda).  It is well balanced, brews like a dark black, sweet but with some citrus flavor.  You can find this tea elsewhere, but unless you specify New Vithanakanda, you might get a quite different tea from Sri Lanka.

2) Yunnan black tea - often called yunnan gold or tippy yunnan due to the golden color of parts of the leaves (the tips). This one is sweet, with a maple taste and maybe a pine aroma.  Very dark, does not get bitter.

3) Any first flush Darjeeling - the "flushes" are the harvests.  The first flush is the winter / spring growth, which is slowest and coolest.  It is a very light, black tea that smells flowery, with a slight caffeine taste.  this one you have to be the most careful brewing. It does not stand up to milk. 

As for good local tea shops, Teaism I mentioned.  Also, down on the waterfront in Alexandria, there is Old Town Coffee, Tea, and Spice.  A great place for coffee as well as tea. Wonderful selection.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #245: September 20, 2011, 11:44:11 AM »

I find I can taste some staleness and plasitc (the staleness, I'm positive on, the plastic may be psychological). 

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #246: September 20, 2011, 11:47:18 AM »
About the which-k-cup-you-use thing, it doesn't really seem to matter much. I think that cup was designed around a 6 oz serving of coffee, and the machines dispense much more than that now.

It's just weak and plastic-y.

And I'm not really a coffee snob. I do think that grinding immediately before use contributes a lot to the flavor, though.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #247: September 20, 2011, 11:53:19 AM »
Lots of discussion in the soft drink thread.  I have my own blend of 3 loose leaf teas when I'm super serious.

Great info, thanks! I hadn't checked the soft drinks thread, as I don't drink soft drinks.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #248: September 20, 2011, 01:18:09 PM »
Soft here = non-alcohol, not just sody pop.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #249: September 20, 2011, 02:57:40 PM »
French press. Don't settle.