Author Topic: Linux Thread  (Read 20770 times)

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
Re: Linux Thread
« Reply #175: February 03, 2010, 11:38:55 PM »
Maybe to add support for "Grand Central Dispatch" and OpenCL that came in the 10.6 Snow Leopard upgrade from 10.5 Leopard.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #176: February 03, 2010, 11:51:38 PM »
Maybe to add support for "Grand Central Dispatch" and OpenCL that came in the 10.6 Snow Leopard upgrade from 10.5 Leopard.

Naw this is strictly gcc land. They now have optimized for Core 2 Duo, so I'm not really complaining, except for the syntax nonsense.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #177: February 04, 2010, 09:50:21 AM »
wtf...chief got sick of all the non-windows praising? :stir:

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #178: February 04, 2010, 10:02:14 AM »
wtf...chief got sick of all the non-windows praising? :stir:

Just figured you could use your own thread since this laptop reclamation project of yours seems to be an ongoing thing.

Offline CJames0569

« Reply #179: February 04, 2010, 12:47:59 PM »
After reading all this it has inspired me to drag home an old computer from work and build a Linux machine. The last time I messed around with Linux was when I put Ubuntu on my PS3  :lol:

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #180: February 05, 2010, 07:08:32 AM »
ok, so here is where I am.

I got Xubuntu installed on my machine as my main OS.  it runs pretty nicely, and looks good, but it can't really use it fully yet, because I can't get my wireless card to work. I need to get access to a wired connection, so that I can set it up. bleh.

I got Puppy Linux running off the CD as a secondary OS(which is what I am posting from). I'm gonna buy a cheap USB flash drive and install Puppy on it(since Puppy is built for that sort of thing).

Offline The Chief

« Reply #181: February 05, 2010, 08:24:55 AM »
Did you check to see if Xubuntu is just waiting for you to okay the proprietary driver for your wifi card?  A lot of Broadcom wifis requires a proprietary driver, and most distros have the driver, but don't activate it by default.  I would be shocked if the latest Xubuntu didn't have drivers for something that old.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #182: February 05, 2010, 08:53:38 AM »
Did you check to see if Xubuntu is just waiting for you to okay the proprietary driver for your wifi card?  A lot of Broadcom wifis requires a proprietary driver, and most distros have the driver, but don't activate it by default.  I would be shocked if the latest Xubuntu didn't have drivers for something that old.

when I try to run BWfcutter(or whatever its called), it tries to download something from the Internet, but since there is no internet it can't.

not exactly sure what it is that it needs though. there are some instructions online for doing this, but I haven't been bothered to go through them yet.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #183: February 05, 2010, 09:07:47 AM »
I haven't used Xubuntu recently so I can't exactly remember what I did, but that doesn't sound right.  I think that cutter stuff is only necessary for older versions.

Something like this is what I'm talking about:

I just can't remember how you get to that screen.  Icon in the system tray maybe?

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #184: February 05, 2010, 09:39:35 AM »
JMad is it a PCMCIA card? Linux had piss poor support for those. You pretty much had to buy one from an approved list.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #185: February 05, 2010, 09:40:06 AM »
I haven't used Xubuntu recently so I can't exactly remember what I did, but that doesn't sound right.  I think that cutter stuff is only necessary for older versions.

Something like this is what I'm talking about:

(Image removed from quote.)

I just can't remember how you get to that screen.  Icon in the system tray maybe?

I've seen that screen before. but i don't think i have the drivers.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #186: February 05, 2010, 09:41:52 AM »

Offline The Chief

« Reply #187: February 05, 2010, 09:45:03 AM »

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #188: February 05, 2010, 10:16:49 AM »
yes, it is a PCMCIA card.

it's a Linksys WPC54g v.3 Wireless Network Card to be exact.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #189: February 05, 2010, 10:23:06 AM »
It's a Broadcom chip. People are recommending ndiswrapper. It's a good call. I haven't dorked with it in a few years, but it is a wrapper for windows drivers to port them to Linux. You need the windows driver, and to download ndiswrapper.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=327524

The PDF link is missing :(

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=378187

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #190: February 05, 2010, 10:52:04 AM »
ndiswrapper doesn't come with Ubuntu?

i'll give this a shot then. anything special i need to know, or is it just install and run?

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #191: February 05, 2010, 11:03:01 AM »
ndiswrapper doesn't come with Ubuntu?

i'll give this a shot then. anything special i need to know, or is it just install and run?

It's a lot of command line work. You have to install ndiswrapper and get the modules running, then you install the windows driver into ndiswrapper, then it should work.

Other flavors of linux come with ndiswrapper built into the GUI network card install, but Ubuntu might have a problem with the open sourciness.

It's a nice workaround for companies that won't make linux drivers and won't give up the source code for their windows drivers.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #192: February 05, 2010, 01:29:50 PM »
It's a lot of command line work. You have to install ndiswrapper and get the modules running, then you install the windows driver into ndiswrapper, then it should work.

Other flavors of linux come with ndiswrapper built into the GUI network card install, but Ubuntu might have a problem with the open sourciness.

It's a nice workaround for companies that won't make linux drivers and won't give up the source code for their windows drivers.

success!

ndiswrapper has a GUI that you can download and use, once i got that installed, it was very simple to load the windows drivers for my card.

and voila, I am posting from inside Xubuntu, on my wireless card.

now, to configure everything. download chrome, etc. etc. and also figure out how to give myself admin privileges, apparently I don't have access to everything, even though I am the only use on the computer.

or learn this "sudo" stuff. i wanna move the folder that my drivers are in off of my desktop, but I don't have permission to move them into the folder I want to put them in.

any clue how i change my admin rights so that I can do this?

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #193: February 05, 2010, 01:33:41 PM »
by the way, this OS is pretty damn fast.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #194: February 05, 2010, 01:36:23 PM »
What folder are you trying to put them in?

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #195: February 05, 2010, 01:38:27 PM »
ok after some reading, apparently, this is set up this way on purpose, and I shouldn't need to change my admin rights....

so how do I move my folder?

I want to move the folder than contains my Wireless Drivers to /lib/firmware and leave it there.  the folder is currently on my desktop.

when i try to drag and drop, it says I don't have the right permissions to write to the /lib/firmware folder.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #196: February 05, 2010, 01:41:49 PM »
ok after some reading, apparently, this is set up this way on purpose, and I shouldn't need to change my admin rights....

so how do I move my folder?

I want to move the folder than contains my Wireless Drivers to /lib/firmware and leave it there.  the folder is currently on my desktop.

when i try to drag and drop, it says I don't have the right permissions to write to the /lib/firmware folder.

sudo mv <drag the folder onto the terminal window here> /lib/firmware

Should do it I think.  Might want to wait for one of the other guys to chime in though, I don't use the 'nix GUI much, just the command line, so I'm not sure if terminal windows support drag-and-drop paths.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #197: February 05, 2010, 01:46:31 PM »
hell yeah....

downloaded chrome with no special steps required. no searching forums for a version in the right format and crap like on Puppy.

I'm thinking Xubuntu will be my main OS, and I'll use Puppy as a Portable one(installed to a Flash Drive).

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #198: February 05, 2010, 01:51:54 PM »
sudo mv <drag the folder onto the terminal window here> /lib/firmware

Should do it I think.  Might want to wait for one of the other guys to chime in though, I don't use the 'nix GUI much, just the command line, so I'm not sure if terminal windows support drag-and-drop paths.

thanks, that worked.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #199: February 05, 2010, 02:07:39 PM »
hell yeah....

downloaded chrome with no special steps required. no searching forums for a version in the right format and crap like on Puppy.

I'm thinking Xubuntu will be my main OS, and I'll use Puppy as a Portable one(installed to a Flash Drive).
Glad you like it.  It is easier to install things with the package manager.  So much free software!

If you find that Xfce (the desktop environment) is too slow, it's easy to install other ones. Then at login, you just pick which one you want that day.