Author Topic: THE JAMES TAILLON WATCH  (Read 10994 times)

Offline GMUTrkstar

Re: THE JAMES TAILLON WATCH
« Reply #25: March 12, 2010, 06:17:11 PM »
Here's an article about his last start: http://woodlandsonline.com/npps/story.cfm?nppage=35006

That was the end of the night for the 6-foot-7 Taillon, who gave up six runs on eight hits. The projected first-round Major League draft pick struck out 11 and walked two.

"Jame-o didn't have his best stuff tonight,'' admitted Eastman.

J. Mayo wrote an article about Taillon today, here are a couple of quotes:

"He does a ton of work on his own away from here," Eastman said. "We have to be careful to make sure he doesn't overdo it. We try to work along with that to make sure he's ready to go. It's a nice problem to have."

"The thing I take pride in is having that stuff and being able to pitch with it," Taillon said. "You can't just rely on a fastball here. You have to mix it up. You have to have the velocity to impress scouts, but mixing in the other stuff is important."

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100311&content_id=8760682&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb&partnerId=rss_mlb

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #26: March 12, 2010, 08:56:53 PM »
I know I got chewed out the last time I said this, but as a Rice student, even as a graduating one, I really hope that Jameson Taillon keeps his commitment to Rice...

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #27: March 13, 2010, 09:44:27 AM »
Even if the Nats drafted him?

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #28: March 13, 2010, 11:33:08 AM »
Good read at NFA.

http://natsfarm.com/2010/03/11/digging-into-the-draft/
"•Arkansas 3B Zack Cox: A draft-eligible sophomore, Cox is all about the power. His strike zone judgment is a concern, but the bat is impressive. With the chance to go back for his junior season, I’m not sure if he’s in the #1 overall picture."

Woah! I didn't know the national perception of Zack Cox was that high! That's pretty awesome people across the nation know about this guy.

Anyways, if we don't draft Harper, Anthony Ranaudo is who I want if he can clear pre-draft tests medically. Anthony Ranaudo is a safe bet with a lot of upside. I also know when you hear SEC coaches talk about him it's almost like fear, even more than David Price. I think he'd take a slower track than Strasburg but he certainly could help us out. Strasburg-Lannan-Ranaudo would just be an insane top of the rotation. That and I just don't want to deal with another superstar #1 pick. One is enough unless it's a position player from a JUCO.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #29: March 13, 2010, 01:43:29 PM »
That and I just don't want to deal with another superstar #1 pick. One is enough unless it's a position player from a JUCO.
I just don't understand this rationale.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #30: March 13, 2010, 02:30:46 PM »
Even if the Nats drafted him?

Even if.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #31: March 15, 2010, 02:11:55 AM »
I just don't understand this rationale.
I don't want Taillon coming in here and bending us over for a big contract. I'd rather bring in a signable guy like Raunado who is pretty much a sure bet. Now, Harper? The "LeBron James of Baseball"? I don't mind him throwing a hissy fit for a contract.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #32: March 15, 2010, 02:25:28 AM »
But I thought Strasburg was the "LeBron James of baseball"?

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #33: March 15, 2010, 02:31:58 AM »
But I thought Strasburg was the "LeBron James of baseball"?

As long as neither is the LeBron James of Washington, as they need James pretty badly on the Wizards.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #34: March 15, 2010, 05:51:05 AM »
I don't want Taillon coming in here and bending us over for a big contract. I'd rather bring in a signable guy like Raunado who is pretty much a sure bet. Now, Harper? The "LeBron James of Baseball"? I don't mind him throwing a hissy fit for a contract.

It would be odd if Harper dropped out of high school to enter the draft early, only to hold out during negotiations and spend an extra year playing JUCO.

Offline GMUTrkstar

« Reply #35: March 24, 2010, 04:03:02 PM »
Harper may be off to a great start but Taillon's not giving up just yet:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/?p=2038

Although he's had a few rough outings recently, No. 1 prospect Jameson Taillon from The Woodlands (Texas) High righted the ship in a hurry last night by firing a no-hitter against Conroe (Texas) High in a 7-0 victory. The 6-foot-7, 230-pound righthander struck out 19 batters and walked only one over seven innings.
"It was a tremendous performance by the young man," The Woodlands head coach Ron Eastman said. "He was on top of his game. He made some minor adjustments this week in the bullpen and was back on his game. He was pretty dominant last night . . . He was down in the strike zone and he had his breaking stuff working. The big thing was he was getting ahead in the count, which the last two times out he was pitching behind in the count. He was ahead in the count last night and was mixing in his slider and curveball reall well."

Eastman said the minor adjustments were to Taillon's posture and the 19 strikeouts tied a school record held by Kyle Drabek.

Taillon said the no-hitter was the first he can remember since he was a little kid.

He said the difference between this start and his last few where he's been hit around was with his  fastball command. In his last couple starts, Taillon  said he wasn't using his height to his advantage and wasn't getting good extension, so his fastballs were flattening out. Yesterday, he extended his stride and threw mostly two-seam fastballs, working to stay down in the zone early in the count and then get strikeouts by going hard up and in or soft down and away.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #36: March 24, 2010, 04:25:12 PM »

part of beiong the number 1 pick is bending a team over for a big contract. Stras. set the new bar. Teams will try to push back, but players and agents will try for similiar deals.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #37: March 24, 2010, 04:43:56 PM »
RICE
FIGHT
NEVER
DIE
BLUE
GRAY
IN THE
SKY
STAND
CHEER
DRINK MORE
BEER
GO
GO
GO
RICE!

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #38: March 24, 2010, 04:51:59 PM »
Honestly, I would not be disappointed if the Nationals took either Harper or Taillon in the upcoming draft.  I think both of them are going to have great careers.  Obviously there are questions surrounding each of them, but I do not think they are big enough to stop a team from taking them with the top pick.  I imagine that both player's agents (Boras vs. Hendricks Brothers) are going to aim higher than Strasburgs 15 mil, hopefully settling for something less than that number.

In a perfect world scenario, the future sounds thrilling with either pick to me ("Strasburg throwing to Harper" or "Strasburg and Taillon pitching back to back"). 

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #39: March 24, 2010, 05:32:16 PM »
RICE
FIGHT
NEVER
DIE
BLUE
GRAY
IN THE
SKY
STAND
CHEER
DRINK MORE
BEER
GO
GO
GO
RICE!
Getting really close to my ignore list.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #40: March 24, 2010, 05:41:26 PM »
If the Nats draft Taillon and fail to sign him and H-N does that cheer on here I would be heated.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #41: March 24, 2010, 05:43:09 PM »
If the Nats draft Taillon and fail to sign him and H-N does that cheer on here I would be heated.

I feel like in that scenario I would refrain from any comment whatsoever. I like having people like me.
Also, who can't love a university whose official cheer contains the phrase "Drink More Beer"?

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #42: March 24, 2010, 05:45:21 PM »
Hopefully the Orioles draft him and we'll be able to root for him not signing together. ;)

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #43: March 31, 2010, 07:43:34 PM »
Taillon picked up his third win of the season against College Park (Texas not MD), a team that The Highlands had lost to in their previous 8 meetings.  Taillon pitched 7.0 innings, letting up 2 hits, 3 walks, and 1 ER while striking out 14.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #44: April 07, 2010, 10:00:10 PM »
Taillon pitched 6.0 innings, letting up zero runs and striking out 13 in the Woodlands 9-0 victory over Oak Ridge yesterday.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #45: April 15, 2010, 01:14:22 PM »
KLaw is a skeptic. from today's chat:

jim (pittsburgh)

Please tell me my pirates will step up and take taillon #2 and pay what it takes instead of going cheap with their 1st pick like they did last year. Is it true that taillons stuff is better than Becketts was when he was in high school?

Klaw  (12:33 PM)

Taillon < Beckett. He's not the slam-dunk number-two in this draft. I am consistently hearing from scouts and directors that they see Taillon up to 98 ... and hitters are squaring up his fastball. If you're taking a HS RHP in the top 5 picks, you want him to be pretty close to perfect, and he's not that.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #46: April 15, 2010, 01:23:10 PM »
K-Law is a moron and I respect almost nothing he has to say, but I have heard these same criticisms that he is referring to.  HS arms are about the riskiest thing out there and I wouldn't be surprised if teams with higher picks took some safer players like McGuire.  I've seen enough video of this kid, though, to see that he is something special and whatever team gets him the draft (either this year or in 3 years) will be very lucky.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #47: April 15, 2010, 02:02:54 PM »
no thanks.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #48: May 22, 2010, 09:36:26 AM »
From what I have been reading, Taillon has not separated himself at all. From poking around, it seems like the Pirates might take Machado instead.

Offline Battleship

« Reply #49: May 22, 2010, 09:44:43 AM »
I've been following the guys as best I can and my impression of Taillon is that he's loaded with talent, but has been lit up a few times this year.  He hasn't put up the dominating stats that you'd expect.  I can't give you exact numbers, but it sure seemed like Matt Purke(1st rounder from last year) was way more dominant against similar competition.  I wouldn't be shocked if Taillon has a Porcello like drop in this draft and could end up at Rice.  I've heard he wants a ton of money and is a Boras client.  I'm not sure how much a team will pay for a guy who's had several bad games mixed in with the brilliant ones.