Author Topic: The International Signing Period  (Read 8927 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

The International Signing Period
« Topic Start: June 17, 2009, 08:06:26 PM »
from mlbtraderumors

Here's some detail on the international signing period, which begins in just a couple weeks:
Most international players aren't eligible to be drafted; they're signed as free agents instead.
The signing period begins July 2nd.
The youngest players eligible to sign this year were born on August 31st, 1993.
They can sign with any major league team.
Players can sign after August 31st if they don't do so immediately.
Some players older than 16 will sign as well.
Michael Ynoa set a record last year when he signed for a $4.25MM bonus. It doesn't look like Miguel Angel Sano will best that mark this year, but he's easily been the summer's most heavily hyped international prospect.

Do we actually participate this year/ does anyone know if we really have a latin america operation anymore?

Offline JMUalumni

Re: The International Signing Period
« Reply #1: June 22, 2009, 04:14:42 PM »
ESPN senior writer twitted this today:

Mateo is first big LA name I've heard attached to Nats. With a pending $20mill or so bonus for Strasburg, i'd say they are longshot on Mateo

He is referring to Wagner Mateo, one of this year's top Dominican prospects.  While Mateo is scheduled to work out for the Nats this week, most writers do not believe the Nats will be serious bidders due to the Strasburg negotiations/bonus demands.  It would be nice if they could sign a top guy like this, but there are other teams that seem to be more serious about signing him like the Cardinals, Giants, and Yankees.  Below is a brief report on him:

Mateo is will probably compete with Gary Sanchez, a catcher from the Dominican Republic, and Miguel Sano, a shortstop from the Dominican Republic who will end up either at third base or right field, for one of the top three signing bonuses. Sano has received the most media attention, but I don’t think it’s accurate to say he’s the consensus best player available.

Mateo isn’t too big-he’s listed at 6-foot-2, 190 pounds, but scouts I’ve talked to say he’s closer to 6-foot-1 or 6-foot even. His body is already relatively mature so he might move to a corner outfield position, but scouts I’ve spoken with say his bat is advanced. He has a good feel for hitting and has shown the ability to hit balls out of the park to all fields. Some scouts see him as more of a line-drive hitter with occasional pop, but he has a short swing and should be able to hit in game situations. I know Mateo came to the Cardinals complex for a workout in spring training and hit well, so it wouldn’t surprise me if the Cardinals had interest in Mateo.

AND

Pros: Mateo is what scouts like to call a toolshed: some have projected him to own five plus tools. He put on quite the show in batting practice, as you can see in the video. One swing sent a ball over the wall in center field, an easy 400-foot shot. Mateo's game isn't just power, as he utilizes his plus speed on the basepaths and in the field. His arm has also shown improvement, grading as a 60 on the 20-80 scale with the display he put on for scouts at the event.

In other news, top Dominican prospect, Miguel Sano, is expected by most to sign with the Pirates.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #2: June 22, 2009, 04:17:08 PM »
What position is Mateo?

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #3: June 22, 2009, 04:27:51 PM »
What position is Mateo?

Sorry, I posted the same quote twice.  Currently, he projects as a center fielder and that doesn't look like it is going to change anytime soon.  Signing him in addition to our first ten draft picks would be a major success in terms of addition of talent to the system.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #4: June 22, 2009, 05:05:15 PM »
What do the bonuses for guys like him look like? Like upwards of 1.5 mil?

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #5: June 22, 2009, 05:13:13 PM »
Michael Inoa got $4.25 million from Oakland last year, but he was a much better prospect than Mateo or Sano.  With that said, teams are starting to offer more money to the LA prospects every year and both guys will probably end up with bonuses north of $3.5 million (The Cardinals will most likely sign Mateo and are rumored to have a $4 million offer ready to go when July 2nd rolls around).  I saw a good video of him a few months ago, but I can't seem to find it now.  Here is a youtube video though:

http://www.vimeo.com/4804359

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #6: June 22, 2009, 05:24:11 PM »
Curious if the market correction in MLB FAs will affect the bonuses for international prospects. 

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #7: June 23, 2009, 12:28:27 AM »
Curious if the market correction in MLB FAs will affect the bonuses for international prospects. 

Maybe. Keep in mind the market correction largely applied to the middle class of FAs, that class that got the 10-12 mil/yr contracts and failed to live up to them. Those guys ended up taking like 3-6 mil this year. Guys like Teixiera and Sabathia still got top contracts. So the elite DR prospects will probably get similar contracts, but I don't see much $ going into the next tier.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #8: June 23, 2009, 07:53:13 AM »
I really don't care if we sign a top guy, but I would like at least one decent DR signing just to show we haven't run away with our tail between our legs

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #9: June 23, 2009, 12:35:16 PM »
I really don't care if we sign a top guy, but I would like at least one decent DR signing just to show we haven't run away with our tail between our legs

Obviously, signing one of the top 10 guys would be a way of doing this.  That is fine if they don't sign one of the top guys, but they need to sign a handful of 2nd tier DR talent then, because just signing one mid-level guy, to me, shows that they are in fact letting their tail ride between their legs.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #10: July 02, 2009, 09:33:29 AM »
Wow, very interesting news circulating the web about Aroldis Chapman of Cuba defecting while his team was in Holland.

http://translate.google.com/translate?prev=hp&hl=en&js=n&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cubaencuentro.com%2Fes%2Fdeportes%2Fnoticias%2Fel-pitcher-aroldis-chapman-abandona-el-equipo-nacional-en-holanda-190890&sl=es&tl=en&history_state0=

Chapman was one of the best pitchers in the last WBC and easily one of the most exciting to watch (100 MPH fastball, great stuff).  Even though the Nats don't look to be involved in the international signing period, which starts today, it would be incredible if the Nats could land Chapman later in the year when he decides on where he will play.  He would easily make the Nationals rotation one of the most promising in the league (Strasburg, Chapman, Lannan, Zimmermann, other young guys).

Video of the 21 year old LHP:   

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #11: July 02, 2009, 09:38:04 AM »
Some how I don't see him choosing to come here

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #12: July 02, 2009, 09:40:33 AM »
Some how I don't see him choosing to come here

Yeah, not gonna happen.  He will probably end up in New York or Boston as usual.

Offline blue911

« Reply #13: July 02, 2009, 09:42:44 AM »
How old is really? 45?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #14: July 02, 2009, 09:46:54 AM »
Yeah, not gonna happen.  He will probably end up in New York or Boston as usual.

I think white sox have a chance with the Cuban angle

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #15: July 02, 2009, 12:41:12 PM »
Wagner Mateo signed with the Cardinals.  It looks like Sano is still being heavily courted by the Pirates, as well as the Orioles and Twins.  His signing may be delayed while the MLB confirms his age.

Disappointingly, Chico reports that the Nats are unlikely to make any internationals signings this year, which is very unfortunate.  Signing some mid-level international prospects would have at least helped rejuvenate a DSL team which has been hit by scandal and has an abundance of older players.  Signing no one is just going to put our DSL program further back.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #16: July 02, 2009, 12:42:41 PM »
Disappointingly, Chico reports that the Nats are unlikely to make any internationals signings this year, which is very unfortunate.  Signing some mid-level international prospects would have at least helped rejuvenate a DSL team which has been hit by scandal and has an abundance of older players.  Signing no one is just going to put our DSL program further back.
Not really suprising though. 

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #17: July 02, 2009, 12:43:18 PM »
Not really suprising though.  

Which makes it all the more sad, just how predictable this team is.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #18: July 02, 2009, 01:00:07 PM »
Which makes it all the more sad, just how predictable this team is.
I thinkit would have been a different story if not for the mess this spring.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #19: July 02, 2009, 01:03:04 PM »
yeah would love chapman, not gonna happen though. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #20: July 02, 2009, 01:03:49 PM »
yeah would love chapman, not gonna happen though.  

espn is saying 30 to 60 million dollar contract. that pretty much leaves the yankees to bid against themselves

if he gets that, Boras will try to use it as a comp. for Strassburg

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #21: July 02, 2009, 01:06:43 PM »
I thinkit would have been a different story if not for the mess this spring.

I am not so sure, but it definitely is playing a role in the whole situation.  Other parts in this drama include the signing of Strasburg (and money needed), a GM that is new to the role, and an organizational philosophy that seems to make moves so that they appear to care about international talent, but in reality doesn't seem to really think it is that important.  The last one is more of my opinion, but this situation is certainly various problems meeting at once.

I don't even care if the Nats don't sign one of the big names, but they need to sign a few young Dominican/Venezuelan prospects with at least some potential.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #22: July 02, 2009, 01:08:50 PM »
espn is saying 30 to 60 million dollar contract. that pretty much leaves the yankees to bid against themselves

if he gets that, Boras will try to use it as a comp. for Strassburg

Contreras got a 4 year/32 million contract when he defected.  I highly doubt the Nats shell out that kind of money, but it would certainly change my opinion of the ownership here if they did.  Luckily, Chapman isn't expected to sign until the offseason, so it won't be used as comp for SS this season.  If the Nats for some reason fail to sign SS, though, then maybe they might become part of the Chapman sweepstakes.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #23: July 02, 2009, 01:11:08 PM »
i think we can all agree on that we'd rather have strasburg than chapman. 

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #24: July 02, 2009, 01:13:35 PM »
i think we can all agree on that we'd rather have strasburg than chapman. 

I don't think anyone would disagree on that, although I wouldn't mind having either one.