Author Topic: Troll Free Message Board  (Read 11727 times)

gosensgo05

Troll Free Message Board
« Topic Start: July 05, 2005, 10:37:13 PM »
A few reasons why I don't like the MLB boards:

1.  Too many trolls.  The level of troll activity from the Mets and Braves fans has been out of control.  I'm sick of the few bitter Expo fans like "adoptayank" and "pascualp".  I think the Orioles trolls have slithered away for good.  

Slaying the "Zimmm" was a minor victory but there will be more "Zimmms" out there.  

2.  I can't criticize the National players, the management, and the city government without threats of violence, a few profane replies or asking the moderator for banishment from the boards.  

C'mon Nats fans...we can disagree but do so politely.  Posting profane messages or making violent threats is not good behavior.  

3.  In this forum I can post words such as "lame", "idiot", "moron" or the word "screw".  I'm sick of putting symbols and extra spaces between words.  

4.  I can post direct web links in the messages in this forum.  No more of this "ht tp" junk from the MLB Nationals site.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Troll Free Message Board
« Reply #1: July 05, 2005, 10:42:04 PM »
All of the above are some of the reasons why I started this site :)

I haven't experienced too much "internal" strife at the MLB boards, but then I haven't done a lot of criticizing of the team so far, either.

This site will remain in wait-and-see mode for a while. I will try to refrain from "over-moderating", but I do ask that we all try to be as civil as possible. It will make my job a lot easier and hopefully lead to a more comfortable and friendlier environment than is often found at the MLB message boards.

gosensgo05

Troll Free Message Board
« Reply #2: July 05, 2005, 10:45:34 PM »
I have had some feuds with some Nationals posters.  We are supporting the same team.  Whenever I post a message that points out a problem with the Nationals or the city of DC, I get violent threats.  

I don't feel comfortable posting in the MLB forum anymore because of the hostile environment.  

Quote from: "administrator"

I haven't experienced too much "internal" strife at the MLB boards, but then I haven't done a lot of criticizing of the team so far, either.

This site will remain in wait-and-see mode for a while. I will try to refrain from "over-moderating", but I do ask that we all try to be as civil as possible. It will make my job a lot easier and hopefully lead to a more comfortable and friendlier environment than is often found at the MLB message boards.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
Troll Free Message Board
« Reply #3: July 06, 2005, 12:31:42 AM »
Hiya Gosen!

Long time, no see!

Offline mjteggy05

Troll Free Message Board
« Reply #4: July 06, 2005, 12:53:49 AM »
Yeah let's keep it troll-free, manners and respect is what it's all about. I don't even mind fans of other teams criticizing as long as it's a just and somewhat valid criticism that isn't just done to make fun or belittle other board members.

Offline JMW IV

Troll Free Message Board
« Reply #5: July 06, 2005, 12:58:11 AM »
I really, REALLY hate the format of the MLB.com boards.

this is so much better.

Offline The Chief

Troll Free Message Board
« Reply #6: July 06, 2005, 12:58:18 AM »
Quote from: "mjteggy05"
Yeah let's keep it troll-free, manners and respect is what it's all about. I don't even mind fans of other teams criticizing as long as it's a just and somewhat valid criticism that isn't just done to make fun or belittle other board members.

Agreed.  It's only a matter of time before a thread gets out of hand, but I will be watching very closely.  It's a fine line between troll-squishing and over-moderating, so I will probably be somewhat lenient (tempers will flare no doubt, we are all only human after all) but I will certainly not be tolerating any threats, violent or otherwise.  Flood control is enabled by default, so we won't have to worry about characters like "guillenisababy" anymore, either.

Basically I think if everyone just remembers to take a deep breath and relax, we should all be able to get along and enjoy ourselves :)

caldercup0

Troll Free Message Board
« Reply #7: July 06, 2005, 12:59:06 AM »
Constructive criticism is ok, as long as you have some evidence behind it. It's the uneducated people who I think the majority of us are upset with.

You can't just say (Insert Name Here) Sucks. You have to say (Insert Name Here) Sucks because he is batting .194 in 382 at bats or has a 6.78 ERA etc.

Offline JMW IV

Troll Free Message Board
« Reply #8: July 06, 2005, 01:10:29 AM »
But at the same time...

be open to other opinions.  don't take the Ultra-Homeristic approach that other boards take.

you say something that goes against the Rosey-Red, Ultra-Happy Boswell-ish Homer status quo, and they act like you kicked their dog.

don't be afraid to criticize that which needs to be criticized.

but don't go spreading gloom-and-doom all over our new forums either.

Offline The Chief

Troll Free Message Board
« Reply #9: July 06, 2005, 01:17:18 AM »
As I said, it will be a fine line for a while.  The only reason I can see banning someone is if they were to do something way out there like make serious physical threats against another member or something similarly heinous *OR* if they consistently and repeatedly showed themselves to be incapable of posting in a mature manner.  Constructive criticism is perfectly fine and is even encouraged.

dotsandloops

Troll Free Message Board
« Reply #10: July 06, 2005, 10:01:49 AM »
One problem I noticed with last night's game was that some posters (on the MLB board) were taunting and mocking the Mets trolls in the 7th or 8th inning, as if we had the game already won.  Number one, don't feed the trolls; number two, don't count your chickens before they hatch.  We very nearly lost that game, and about half of the threads on the board would have seemed incredibly foolish.

Make sure you get the win, then celebrate.

Robinhood

Re: Troll Free Message Board
« Reply #11: July 06, 2005, 01:43:52 PM »
Quote from: "gosensgo05"
A few reasons why I don't like the MLB boards:

3.  In this forum I can post words such as "lame", "idiot", "moron" or the word "screw".  I'm sick of putting symbols and extra spaces between words.  

Thank you thank you thank you.  I was starting to feel like the thought police were in charge over there.  Imagine a baseball message board for Washington fans in which you cannot use the term Damn Yankees.  And the whole "put an asterisk in it and it's okay to use the f-word even to insult someone" is just plane silly.

Thank you.

Anonymous

Troll Free Message Board
« Reply #12: July 06, 2005, 02:18:04 PM »
Being new to the MLB site I can't believe that they allow the cross posting from one team to the other.  But I guess that whatever drives traffic to their site is fine with them as long as it makes money.

EricNats

Troll Free Message Board
« Reply #13: July 06, 2005, 07:41:46 PM »
Posting on the MLB boards is like trying to have a conversation in the middle of a hurricane.

This new board is exactly what we needed.  Thanks very much.

Eric in Richmond

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #14: July 06, 2005, 08:33:54 PM »
Quote from: "gosensgo05"

Laughing... I was wondering if anyone would mention that among the reasons why they like this place... But any reason is a good one as long as the troglodytes stay over there.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Troll Free Message Board
« Reply #15: July 06, 2005, 08:44:03 PM »
Quote from: "JMadisonIV"
I really, REALLY hate the format of the MLB.com boards.

this is so much better.

Speaking of formats, I've seen a few PHPBB forums where users have image sigs, and before things get out of hand, maybe a max size/dimension should be given, or better not allowing then in favor of text only sigs might be the way to go. I'm sure someone will eventually try attaching an image to their signature using the BBCodes.

I'm sure most here have seen them, but they eat up space and bandwidth as well as slow down page loads. Maybe disallowing them would be a smart move?

Offline mjteggy05

Troll Free Message Board
« Reply #16: July 06, 2005, 09:13:12 PM »
I'm sure someone will eventually try attaching an image to their signature using the BBCodes.

I'm sure most here have seen them, but they eat up space and bandwidth as well as slow down page loads. Maybe disallowing them would be a smart move?

I would tend to agree with that Kenza...

Offline The Chief

Troll Free Message Board
« Reply #17: July 06, 2005, 10:50:51 PM »
For now I'm taking a wait and see approach to things like this.  If it becomes a problem then it will be addressed.

Offline JMW IV

Troll Free Message Board
« Reply #18: July 06, 2005, 11:34:31 PM »
I kinda like the sig banners.

you know what you SHOULD do?

Set a defined max size limit.

and then find someone among us who is good at making sig banners, and have them design a couple of "Nationals Forum" Sig Banners of the appropriate size, that we can just slap our own individual names on.   let us choose between two of three design schemes, put our names on it somewhere.

gosensgo05

Troll Free Message Board
« Reply #19: July 07, 2005, 12:24:05 AM »
I want some hot Nationals chicks as my signature.

OK...I am really pounding the Heinekens and I should stop posting.  I consume more alcohol and provide more bitterness when the Nats lose.

Offline mjteggy05

Troll Free Message Board
« Reply #20: July 07, 2005, 03:24:21 AM »
I like JMadison's idea, and if other people are in favor...give me some size restraint, and I'd be happy to try to come up with a couple different banners. Just let me know.  :D

Offline The Chief

Troll Free Message Board
« Reply #21: July 07, 2005, 09:48:53 AM »
I like JMadison's idea, and if other people are in favor...give me some size restraint, and I'd be happy to try to come up with a couple different banners. Just let me know.  :D

Just make a few diff sizes and post them with IMG tags in a new thread so everyone can compare the diff sizes and put in their 2 cents.

DelNatsFan

Troll Free Message Board
« Reply #22: July 08, 2005, 11:23:25 PM »

Which means that jerspos should stay away as well. He likes to curse out fellow Nats fans

Offline BuckyHarris

• Waiting for 1924
« Reply #23: September 10, 2015, 08:53:43 AM »

Thanks, and ditto on all of the above. I liked the slower pace of the MLB board, but as our team's troubles have grown, so have troll infestations, along with long threads of one-on-one insult exchanges. Many regulars have left, I see quite a few on here. The moderating is more sensible, the dialogue more civil—and by the way, as Ken (ex-"No Shoe Joe" I think) says, WNFF loads and runs at warp speed by comparison. Keep up the great work.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #24: September 10, 2015, 08:54:43 AM »
:lmao: That is quite a bump.