Author Topic: Seeking feedback regarding decreased GDT participation and "negativity"  (Read 4723 times)

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Why?

What Tom said. It isn't enjoyable.

At least now in the playoffs it really is do-or-die.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
I refuse to believe anyone gets upset because of the same two or three donks making the same comments they've made for over five years here. Talk about not knowing your audience.

I don't get upset, nor have I quit gameday threads.  But they are certainly less enjoyable when so many of the posts are so lame.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Assuming such a policy were even enforceable, would it be enjoyable of there were no negative posts allowed?

Seems like people agree that "too negative" is a problem for some, but nobody has any suggestions what to do about it other than stop participating, which only contributes to the problem.  So everyone just surrenders GDTs to the panic monkeys? :|

Offline DPMOmaha

It's not the negative posts, it's the Armageddon posts.

Offline houston-nat

I mean, I guess what I notice between watching the game without a computer, and watching the game with WNFF, is that every single tiny thing becomes way more important on WNFF. Like, if a pitcher runs a 3-1 count on someone and I'm watching it on TV, I'm like "eh, whatever, let's see what happens," but if it happens on WNFF one or two people are going "throw strikes goddammit!!!" And the chief yardstick is the opposing team's bloop single. Drops past Espy's glove, I tend to think "well, that's sucky luck" or even "meh!"

But there's nothing moderatable or policeable about this. Some people are just like that. The only course of action I can see succeeding is for reasonable, level-headed people to post in GDTs more. Every time somebody like Kevrock or Minty says "screw this negativity," it gets more negative. There's no way that "Descalso is crap, can't believe he's doubled twice. our staff sucks" violates any forum rules or moral codes. We just gotta lead by example.

Offline Fan037

I'm relatively new here.  I look forward to the Game Day Threads.  Some days I participate from beginning to end.  Other days, I just comment at the end of the thread.  Either way I like coming here and sharing my views with others about the team I love.  This is a very special year that many of us have waited an eternity for.  I don't know why anyone would be negative but that's the way it is and I have the choice to just ignore it.

I'd say keep doing what you're doing, Chief.  For most of us, it's just fine.     

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
I'm thinking Pu$$y Riot infiltrated the board and spread negativity.  We need more PUTIN! to get everyone in agreement about our glorious Nationals!

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
So 30 to life for PC and SF?
I'm thinking Pu$$y Riot infiltrated the board and spread negativity.  We need more PUTIN! to get everyone in agreement about our glorious Nationals!

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
IMO, when the negativity came from a few known donks, it was fine and fun to laugh at them getting so riled up (ie sf and PC).  But with the influx of newbs who are also all negative all the time, it gets tiring.  With PC and SF it's their shtick.

Offline eddiejc1

• http://www.femfour.com
Would love some feedback from those of you who've stopped participating in GDTs.  I can't work towards a happy medium if people just leave.

When I post on GDTs, it's usually at the MLB board.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked

Seems like people agree that "too negative" is a problem for some, but nobody has any suggestions what to do about it other than stop participating,

Two game threads. The regular one and an additional one for all the wusses who can't handle the regular one.

I'd say keep doing what you're doing, Chief.  For most of us, it's just fine.     

:worship:

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
People are posting mean things about the Nationals!  :( :(

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Love the Pic.  Can we use it for Philly fans!

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
You left the entire board because of the negativity. :lmao:

You've got that backwards mon ami - I left because I was getting too negative, something I'm inching back towards already.

Offline GburgNatsFan2

Listening to a bunch of whiners  and blowhards slamming players that are way better at their profession than the blowhards will ever be - at anything - is not "tough." Not wanting to deal with anymore is not wussy. It's sanity.

Two game threads. The regular one and an additional one for all the wusses who can't handle the regular one.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
Make the 'ignored by X posters' function visible again?  That might get some 'negative' people to change.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Assuming such a policy were even enforceable, would it be enjoyable of there were no negative posts allowed?

Seems like people agree that "too negative" is a problem for some, but nobody has any suggestions what to do about it other than stop participating, which only contributes to the problem.  So everyone just surrenders GDTs to the panic monkeys? :|

Sounds like Presidential elections.

Offline nobleisthyname

I mean, I guess what I notice between watching the game without a computer, and watching the game with WNFF, is that every single tiny thing becomes way more important on WNFF. Like, if a pitcher runs a 3-1 count on someone and I'm watching it on TV, I'm like "eh, whatever, let's see what happens," but if it happens on WNFF one or two people are going "throw strikes goddammit!!!" And the chief yardstick is the opposing team's bloop single. Drops past Espy's glove, I tend to think "well, that's sucky luck" or even "meh!"

But there's nothing moderatable or policeable about this. Some people are just like that. The only course of action I can see succeeding is for reasonable, level-headed people to post in GDTs more. Every time somebody like Kevrock or Minty says "screw this negativity," it gets more negative. There's no way that "Descalso is crap, can't believe he's doubled twice. our staff sucks" violates any forum rules or moral codes. We just gotta lead by example.

My feelings exactly.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Listening to a bunch of whiners  and blowhards slamming players that are way better at their profession than the blowhards will ever be - at anything - is not "tough." Not wanting to deal with anymore is not wussy. It's sanity.

I mentioned to JCA the other day that WNFF seems to be inching toward "Extreme Skins" territory but instead of being homer heavy (like "ES") it's bring out the negative Nancys in droves.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
DEATH TO THE RED BIRDS!!!  KILL!!!!

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause

Yeah  pretty sure being a dick is part of the problem

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
THE FIRST HOME PLAYOFF GAME FOR THIS FRANCHISE. WHERE THE freak IS YOUR NATITUDE?
Right here dude!!! 

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
My biggest problem with the GDT's is that my computer feed is frequently a minute or so behind the regular broadcast so I see the results in the GDT before I see them on my television.  Maybe I should just listen to C&D?  :shrug:   But I really like watching as well.

I guess then that I need Nathan to complain about the feed on his cheap-ass MLB.tv account.  :lol:

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
[...]Maybe I should just listen to C&D?[...]

No finer Nats coverage anywhere...definitely the right choice.