Author Topic: Gameday Thread: Nationals vs Padres, Game 3  (Read 13758 times)

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Gameday Thread: Nationals vs Padres, Game 3
« Reply #25: August 07, 2005, 02:20:55 PM »
Quote from: "PC"
I don't like that decision that just gave them their run.

Why, at this early stage of the game, intentionally walk the 8th batter in the lineup?  The 8th batter isn't that good, that's why he's batting 8th.  Get him out and then start the next inning with the pitcher leading off.

It's a percentage move, it gave the Nats a force at all three bags at the time... Just because the percentages favor the move, its no guarantee it will work.

Offline carlfish

« Reply #26: August 07, 2005, 02:21:39 PM »
I still don't understand why you mess with a shortstops batting he's hitting between .260 and .270 lifetime.  Who's bright idea was that?

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #27: August 07, 2005, 02:23:09 PM »
Quote from: "carlfish"
I still don't understand why you mess with a shortstops batting he's hitting between .260 and .270 lifetime.  Who's bright idea was that?

that's the big question.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #28: August 07, 2005, 02:23:28 PM »
I think someone actually thougth they could turn him into a power hitting SS... Have they leaked who it was that made him change his apprach to begin with?

Offline PC

« Reply #29: August 07, 2005, 02:26:25 PM »
Quote from: "Kenz aFan"
It's a percentage move, it gave the Nats a force at all three bags at the time... Just because the percentages favor the move, its no guarantee it will work.

Yeah but Olivo is batting .169.  How likely would he have been to get a hit?  I think less than the pitcher because he has more pressure to get a hit.  He's supposed to be able to hit.

Any hit the pitcher gets is gravy.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #30: August 07, 2005, 02:28:07 PM »
Quote from: "Kenz aFan"
I think someone actually thougth they could turn him into a power hitting SS... Have they leaked who it was that made him change his apprach to begin with?

no, but when they do I am calling for his head.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
« Reply #31: August 07, 2005, 02:29:01 PM »
You know...this is the difference between before the all-star break and after:

Before the all-star break my wife used to have to go to the upstairs bedroom to avoid hearing the clapping / screaming / cheering from my basement sports domain.

Today, my wife had to come downstairs to see if I was still in the house and had not left to buy supplies at home depot.

:?

Offline PC

« Reply #32: August 07, 2005, 02:54:20 PM »
Has everyone turned away from the game?  No one has posted for half an hour!

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #33: August 07, 2005, 02:55:34 PM »
Well nice move... bases EMPTY and Frank pinch hits Vidro, who WIFFS for Blanco. Blanco could have struke out just a well (or bad). Wilkerson hits for Loaiza and WIFFS. Hell Loaiza makes contact more often than WIFFerson does... FIRE FRANK

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #34: August 07, 2005, 02:56:52 PM »
Has everyone turned away from the game?  No one has posted for half an hour!

Sorry I had left to buy supplies at home depot.   :lol:

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #35: August 07, 2005, 02:59:30 PM »
I honestly haven't really had any desire to watch today's game.  I've followed the half-hourly updates on WTOP and that's been enough for me to be disgusted and glad I didn't waste my time actually watching the game. :?

At this point in the season I say why not bring up a bunch of rookies and start them?  It seems to work pretty well for Atlanta :roll:

Offline PC

« Reply #36: August 07, 2005, 03:04:20 PM »
Quote from: "The Chief"
I honestly haven't really had any desire to watch today's game.  I've followed the half-hourly updates on WTOP and that's been enough for me to be disgusted and glad I didn't waste my time actually watching the game. :?

At this point in the season I say why not bring up a bunch of rookies and start them?  It seems to work pretty well for Atlanta :roll:

To be honest, I'm not watching the game either.  I have the CBS.sportsline gamecast up but I'm watching a replay of  a CFL game on Comcast Sports, Calgary vs. Winnepeg to be exact.   :lol:

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #37: August 07, 2005, 03:09:42 PM »
Book IT: You're either gonna get Peavy or Hoffman in the 9th.  Time to go mow the lawn or some other such thing you do on Sundays.

NatsCaps19

« Reply #38: August 07, 2005, 03:15:39 PM »
well at least they're not gonna lose by 1 run  :roll:

Offline carlfish

« Reply #39: August 07, 2005, 03:16:06 PM »
I've been snoozing.  This game reminds me of a "long" Sunday afternoon Redskins game....

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #40: August 07, 2005, 03:22:11 PM »
Quote from: "NatsCaps19"
well at least they're not gonna lose by 1 run  :roll:

Jocularity.... Jocularity....

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #41: August 07, 2005, 03:24:13 PM »
Quote from: "Senators2005"
CRAP.  Peavy's pitching.   :roll:

I revert to my first post in this thread.

Offline rileyn

« Reply #42: August 07, 2005, 03:25:07 PM »
What an awful product that they are putting on the field.  These guys need to grow a set of balls.

Offline PC

« Reply #43: August 07, 2005, 03:25:10 PM »
How do teams that score a lot do it?  Watching this team has dulled my senses to the possibility of regularly scoring 5 or 6 runs a game.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #44: August 07, 2005, 03:27:37 PM »
How do teams that score a lot do it?  Watching this team has dulled my senses to the possibility of regularly scoring 5 or 6 runs a game.

Er, ummm, ahh... by having players on their team who actually do the job they are paid for...

Offline rileyn

« Reply #45: August 07, 2005, 03:34:12 PM »
At the beginning of the year many people marveled at the preceived, "never give up" attitude of the Nats.  Their best trait was scrappiness, and a fighting spirit.  Does anybody else get the feeling like these guys would rather be anywhere else than on the field during games.  They look misearble and as soon as something negative happens seem turtle up and wait for the game to end.

I'm so baffled by the last 34 days.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #46: August 07, 2005, 03:42:36 PM »
Quote from: "rileyn"
At the beginning of the year many people marveled at the preceived, "never give up" attitude of the Nats.  Their best trait was scrappiness, and a fighting spirit.  Does anybody else get the feeling like these guys would rather be anywhere else than on the field during games.  They look misearble and as soon as something negative happens seem turtle up and wait for the game to end.

I'm so baffled by the last 34 days.

I really liked this team when they had that scrappy never-say-die look, but now more often than not I find myself hoping that next year's team is a completely different hitting roster aside from 2 or 3 guys :?

Honestly the only starting hitter I'd keep for sure right now is Schneider.  I might keep Johnson, but you know he's gonna be on the DL for a big part of the season so it's a tough call.  I really like Guillen but RFK is in his head and I don't think anything's going to change that.

Montcobaseball

« Reply #47: August 07, 2005, 03:52:45 PM »
You know that this team could conceivably lose every game on the road trip?

Montcobaseball

« Reply #48: August 07, 2005, 03:55:53 PM »
Copied from MLB with my permission.

Who said it?: Outfielder Brad Wilkerson was not happy word leaked out that he had heated words with Guillen in a closed-door meeting on Saturday. He said that everything is fine between him and Guillen.

"We had a closed-door meeting. However, the word was spread; I don't understand it," Wilkerson said. "That's one of the problems with our team right now. We are not mature enough to deal with the situation that we have. I was upset that it even got out."

Offline rileyn

« Reply #49: August 07, 2005, 04:05:37 PM »
Quote from: "Montcobaseball"
Copied from MLB with my permission.

Who said it?: Outfielder Brad Wilkerson was not happy word leaked out that he had heated words with Guillen in a closed-door meeting on Saturday. He said that everything is fine between him and Guillen.

"We had a closed-door meeting. However, the word was spread; I don't understand it," Wilkerson said. "That's one of the problems with our team right now. We are not mature enough to deal with the situation that we have. I was upset that it even got out."

Wonderful.  These guys had a good thing and it seems like they have collapsed and now don't even like each other.