Author Topic: Round 1 - Drew Storen, RHP, Stanford  (Read 42844 times)

Offline sportsfan882

Re: Round 1 - Drew Storen, RHP, Stanford
« Reply #125: June 21, 2009, 05:51:43 PM »
he's definitely got strikeout stuff as evident by his numbers at Stanford but he also tends to give up runs, a lot of them.

I was also looking at some of the box scores when he was at Stanford and he gave up a run in a lot of his outings, especially at the end of the season.

He was so close to having a great outing today. Just needs to keep working on it.

Online blue911

« Reply #126: June 21, 2009, 05:55:33 PM »
A few of the draft commentators said this would not be a bad pick if the NAts intended to convert him to a starter.  I am very surprised this is not even on the table.  It seems very short sighted.  We saw Brett Cecil make that conversion and be effective this weekend.  4 QS out of 5 starts. I don't think that is the only case.  IMHO, 200 IP a year will be more valuable than 70. 

They drafted for need. I hate the idea but that's what it looks like. FWIW, The kid didn't pitch from May 24th until June 19th (or so). And has a couple of rough outings. I don't know how anybody can treat it as anything more than rust.

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #127: June 21, 2009, 05:58:42 PM »
A few of the draft commentators said this would not be a bad pick if the NAts intended to convert him to a starter.  I am very surprised this is not even on the table.  It seems very short sighted.  We saw Brett Cecil make that conversion and be effective this weekend.  4 QS out of 5 starts. I don't think that is the only case.  IMHO, 200 IP a year will be more valuable than 70. 

If we wanted to convert him to a starter, why not draft a starter instead because it's obvious there were starters who were more highly regarded than Storen (White, Matzek, a few other HS arms).

Offline NFA Brian

• Nationals Farm Authority
« Reply #128: June 21, 2009, 06:08:44 PM »
I would not rule out the starting rotation in the long run. Let him finish off 2009 in the bullpen, have him fine tune a third pitch in instructionals and try him as a starter in 2010.

Offline NFA Brian

• Nationals Farm Authority
« Reply #129: June 21, 2009, 06:11:13 PM »
If we wanted to convert him to a starter, why not draft a starter instead because it's obvious there were starters who were more highly regarded than Storen (White, Matzek, a few other HS arms).

They were not going to draft Matzek. Rizzo is not an advocate of HS arms early. Plus his rumored price tag/negotiations were not something the Nats were going to risk with the #10

The Indians are already talking about White as a reliever ... not sure how much of that is true. But if they are thinking about moving him from a starter role, his likely bonus is going to be way out of line for a reliever.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #130: June 21, 2009, 06:11:18 PM »
They drafted for need. I hate the idea but that's what it looks like. FWIW, The kid didn't pitch from May 24th until June 19th (or so). And has a couple of rough outings. I don't know how anybody can treat it as anything more than rust.

+1/this

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #131: June 21, 2009, 06:13:03 PM »

We are a laughingstock because we don't pay money and a bunch of other things. Crow was at fault but so were we. Atleast we got a guy who could be decent. Im sorry you quit interest in someone after a second outing.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #132: June 21, 2009, 06:21:35 PM »
tweet from Storen after today's game:

DrewStoren: Learning and making adjustments from each outing. On thebus on the way home.

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #133: June 21, 2009, 06:22:38 PM »
We are a laughingstock because we don't pay money and a bunch of other things. Crow was at fault but so were we. Atleast we got a guy who could be decent. Im sorry you quit interest in someone after a second outing.

Drafting a relief pitcher in the #10 spot is never a good decision. The Pirates passed on Switch hitting Jesus, Matt Wieters, for a college relief pitcher. Teams that pay money for good talent usually don't regret it that much. For every Andrew Brackman that fails, there are a few more Matt Wieters and Rick Porcello's who become elite talents with a high price tag.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #134: June 21, 2009, 07:04:22 PM »
It isn't surprising that Storen is struggling.  He had a few weeks off and started out in full season A ball.  It takes a very talented pitcher to go straight from college to the Sally League and mop up.  Most of the guys he is playing against have been in the Sally league for a lot of the year and most have played at least a season of pro ball before this year.  Let the kid adjust to pro ball before you drop judgements on his ass.  FWIW, he looks like he is going to be a very good reliever one day.

Offline Blueliner

« Reply #135: June 21, 2009, 07:46:47 PM »
I'm not going to say this is a wasted pick though I do agree it is never a good idea to draft relievers that high.  There is no question this selection was based on signability more than talent.

But as I said in another thread, who cares about first year stats.  Most organizations don't care about them.  They just want the players to get used to the travel and demands of minor league ball. 

I will be upset if Storen doesn't start out with a full season team, after breaking spring training next year.  If that is the case then something bad happened.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #136: June 22, 2009, 09:07:59 PM »
Storen is a Nat with a top notch attitude. Can we not crap all over him? We should be thrilled this guy's dream was to be on the Nats.

Offline Battleship

« Reply #137: June 22, 2009, 09:10:56 PM »
Not to mention he's been here 10 minutes.  Two innings and the guy's a bust:) 

Offline Burgess

• K MONSTER!
« Reply #138: June 22, 2009, 09:43:30 PM »
In my opinion, Storen is better suited as a starter. He tends to give some good amount of runs and if you pitch 2 innings, you won't be successful.  He can throw strikes though, he should definately try to pitch 5 + innings.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #139: June 23, 2009, 09:32:03 AM »
Storen is a Nat with a top notch attitude. Can we not crap all over him? We should be thrilled this guy's dream was to be on the Nats.

He seems like a decent kid.  I like his attitude.  I wish him nothing but success. 

I'm just surprised that one path to that success isn't spending at least some time as a starter.  I'm even more surprised that there was serious talk about him walking in and closing.  Sort of like Ryan Wagner's career path.  If I'm sniping, it's not at him. It is at Brown and Rizzo. And it's not even sniping, it's more questioning and trying to understand, knowing that they know a lot more about development than some guy on a board.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #140: June 23, 2009, 09:39:57 AM »
He seems like a decent kid.  I like his attitude.  I wish him nothing but success. 

I'm just surprised that one path to that success isn't spending at least some time as a starter.  I'm even more surprised that there was serious talk about him walking in and closing.  Sort of like Ryan Wagner's career path.  If I'm sniping, it's not at him. It is at Brown and Rizzo. And it's not even sniping, it's more questioning and trying to understand, knowing that they know a lot more about development than some guy on a board.

JCA - you are certainly level headed. The sky is falling crew in this thread is pissing me off. I want Storen to be the best player he can in a Nats uniform, that's all I'm saying. If we get a high performing reliever with not too much upside but rapid progress to the majors, and it helps us get Strasburg, that's a win.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #141: June 23, 2009, 10:00:07 AM »

Agreed 100%.

I dont understand it. Hes not doing terrible plus he seems like hes got the stuff to get it under control. Let him develop before you judge him. People aren't amazing right away. Don't people know that? Thats why theres a thing called the minor leagues.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #142: June 23, 2009, 10:27:40 AM »
lol @ anyone who reems storen after two outings.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #143: June 23, 2009, 11:47:55 AM »
I'd say I'd be disappointed if going into next year, Storen is not at least at Potomac. Harrisburg and up would be ideal, but don't overshoot I guess.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #144: June 25, 2009, 11:48:30 PM »
Drew Storen with his first career pro scoreless inning tonight in a 5-1 Hagerstown loss.

1 IP 1 H 0 R 0 ER 0 BB 1 K.

DrewStoren: Step in the right direction tonight. On the bump again after two days rest for two innings.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #145: June 26, 2009, 07:24:27 AM »
Storen is the real deal. Sept. callup - book it.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #146: June 26, 2009, 09:06:01 AM »
Storen is the real deal. Sept. callup - book it.

I hate to pull a spidernat but weren't you busting on people for judging him on his first two starts?  And now you're saying he's the real deal after one good outing? :lol:

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #147: June 26, 2009, 09:09:57 AM »
I hate to pull a spidernat but weren't you busting on people for judging him on his first two starts?  And now you're saying he's the real deal after one good outing? :lol:
you have to like his 5 K/0 BB ratio so far. :clap:

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #148: June 26, 2009, 09:13:06 AM »
you have to like his 5 K/0 BB ratio so far. :clap:

I mostly rely on you guys to keep me up to speed on how things are going in the minors.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #149: June 26, 2009, 09:17:22 AM »
JCA - you are certainly level headed. The sky is falling crew in this thread is pissing me off. I want Storen to be the best player he can in a Nats uniform, that's all I'm saying. If we get a high performing reliever with not too much upside but rapid progress to the majors, and it helps us get Strasburg, that's a win.

I think its a win if he can last as a good reliever, not flame out like the majority tend to do, and if he outperforms Crow. I would throw in Smoak as well, but that's just because of my preference for bats in the draft, but Crow definately has to be a bench mark against which the front office is judged.