Author Topic: Nats Near Deals for Wilson, Stanton  (Read 5803 times)

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
Nats Near Deals for Wilson, Stanton
« Reply #1: July 13, 2005, 12:10:54 AM »
Unfortunately, I think the Wilson deal is going to happen.

I think that Bowden should shoot a lot higher than Wilson if he is deadset on replacing Ryan Church, but I'm not the GM.

Ryan Zimmerman

Re: Nats Near Deals for Wilson, Stanton
« Reply #2: July 13, 2005, 12:12:42 AM »
Quote from: "Zilla05"
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/12/AR2005071201475.html

Discuss...

WOW interesting...but why get Wilson? Like a hundred fans said, he strikes out way too much and I hate to say it but Church will have limited playing time because Wilky will have to move to LF.

If we don't get him, why not go get Russ Branyan? He's underrated and he has some SERIOUS POWER...he has so much potential.

Offline Zilla05

« Reply #3: July 13, 2005, 12:12:54 AM »
The Rocky Mountain News said Monday the difference was a matter of $500K apart, so I figured this might come together despite some denial on both sides.

Besides, once you throw names of a deal out, it's hard to keep that guy on your roster anymore, and so Day is damaged goods as far as JB's concerned.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #4: July 13, 2005, 02:07:52 AM »
Quote from: "JMadisonIV"
Unfortunately, I think the Wilson deal is going to happen.

I think that Bowden should shoot a lot higher than Wilson if he is deadset on replacing Ryan Church, but I'm not the GM.

Sadly, I think this deal is gonna get done as well... The only good thing I can see coming out it, is that the Nats bench will become much stronger, but unless Wilson was waiting to get out of Colorado to light things up, that's the only good thing I see in the trade right now.

visionary

« Reply #5: July 13, 2005, 02:27:50 AM »
Well hopefully it would keep them from trying to rely on Wil Cordero so much

:wink:

Though wilson does not have great stats himself...

bramos

« Reply #6: July 13, 2005, 04:27:56 AM »
Bowden found a match.  I know there are plenty of detractors out there, but let's remember Wilson was a highly regarded, five-tool player only a few years back.  He's coming to a team with a legitimate shot at a post-season berth.  He's into his free-agency year.  He will be motivated.  To only have to give up Day and Davis for him (plus the 2-3 million of the remainder of his salary), Bowden is not sacrificing the future.  If Wilson stinks out the joint, then we can let him walk at the end of the year.  No strings attached.  Sure, we could've aimed higher for the likes of Vernon Wells or Alfonso Soriano, but let's be realistic.  The teams they play for aren't looking to give those players away any time soon.  Wilson is available and he can help us - now.  I'd take my chances with him in the clean-up hole over Baerga any day.   :D

Diehard_Nationals_Fan

« Reply #7: July 13, 2005, 10:29:30 AM »
Quote from: "bramos"
Bowden found a match.  I know there are plenty of detractors out there, but let's remember Wilson was a highly regarded, five-tool player only a few years back.  He's coming to a team with a legitimate shot at a post-season berth.  He's into his free-agency year.  He will be motivated.  To only have to give up Day and Davis for him (plus the 2-3 million of the remainder of his salary), Bowden is not sacrificing the future.  If Wilson stinks out the joint, then we can let him walk at the end of the year.  No strings attached.  Sure, we could've aimed higher for the likes of Vernon Wells or Alfonso Soriano, but let's be realistic.  The teams they play for aren't looking to give those players away any time soon.  Wilson is available and he can help us - now.  I'd take my chances with him in the clean-up hole over Baerga any day.   :D

Couldnt agree with this more.  My whole take on this is I just dont want to see us give up what little farm we have, or anything that is a KEY part of our current roster.  If were going to get a rent-a-player we dont keep after the season, id rather give up something we CAN give up and WONT miss in the future, and someone who is expendable to our club.  The only thing I dont really like is the possibility of seeing Church go. I like the guy, and I think hes got a great future.

Day, can go, and if it helps getting W.Cordero off the field than im all for it.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #8: July 13, 2005, 11:46:36 AM »
Wilson is available and he can help us - now.  I'd take my chances with him in the clean-up hole over Baerga any day.   :D
LOL I think most of us would agree that almost anyone is an improvement over Baerga in the cleanup slot. I was looking at Wilson's stats and just for fun grabbed his lifetime stats in what are considered the 12 best pitchers parks over his career and here's what I came up with. The numbers have been recalculated for a full 162 game season.
Code: [Select]
 G   AB   R    H   2B   3B   HR  RBI  BB    K  SB  CS   AVE   OBP   SLG   OPS
162  610  95  172   35    2   39  112  47  167  28   7  .282  .345  .538  .883
I have no idea how the numbers will translate to RFK since Wilson has never played there. It looks as though Wilson turns into a doubles hitters with some pop. I didn't include his number at home with the Marlins because it always seemed to be a neutral park, that is to say in the middle of the pack somewhere. Had I included his number there, recalculated to 162 games, they would look like this.
162  580  90  156   32    3   29   99  56  159  25   8  .269  .343  .484  .827
From that I get the idea he just might be well suited for a park like RFK because unless I'm misreading the numbers, it kinda looks like he might be pressing too much when he's in a hitters park... But as they say, only time will tell.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #9: July 13, 2005, 11:51:47 AM »
Quote from: "Diehard_Nationals_Fan"
The only thing I dont really like is the possibility of seeing Church go. I like the guy, and I think hes got a great future.

Day, can go, and if it helps getting W.Cordero off the field than im all for it.

I was thinking that with Johnson out a bit longer than anticipated, that with Wilson in center, they play Wilkerson at 1B (until Johnson returns) and continue platooning Church and Byrd in left. Doing that would give the Nats the most punch in their half of the innings.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #10: July 13, 2005, 12:05:14 PM »
Quote from: "Kenz aFan"
Quote from: "Diehard_Nationals_Fan"
The only thing I dont really like is the possibility of seeing Church go. I like the guy, and I think hes got a great future.

I was thinking that with Johnson out a bit longer than anticipated, that with Wilson in center, they play Wilkerson at 1B (until Johnson returns) and continue platooning Church and Byrd in left. Doing that would give the Nats the most punch in their half of the innings.

Church/Byrd in CENTER.

I don't ever wanna see Preston Wilson patrolling Center at RFK.  Put him in Left.

visionary

« Reply #11: July 13, 2005, 12:19:58 PM »
Wilson is available and he can help us - now.  I'd take my chances with him in the clean-up hole over Baerga any day.   :D
LOL I think most of us would agree that almost anyone is an improvement over Baerga in the cleanup slot. I was looking at Wilson's stats and just for fun grabbed his lifetime stats in what are considered the 12 best pitchers parks over his career and here's what I came up with. The numbers have been recalculated for a full 162 game season.
I have no idea how the numbers will translate to RFK since Wilson has never played there. It looks as though Wilson turns into a doubles hitters with some pop. I didn't include his number at home with the Marlins because it always seemed to be a neutral park, that is to say in the middle of the pack somewhere. Had I included his number there, recalculated to 162 games, they would look like this.
From that I get the idea he just might be well suited for a park like RFK because unless I'm misreading the numbers, it kinda looks like he might be pressing too much when he's in a hitters park... But as they say, only time will tell.

Wow, that's pretty interesting...good job there!

Hmmm, maybe his stats will be better than I thought.

Ryan Zimmerman

« Reply #12: July 13, 2005, 12:37:55 PM »

167 K...OUCH!!!

BUt good job Kenza...I'd rather have Dunn but it's ok Wilson isn't too shabby either.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #13: July 13, 2005, 12:56:56 PM »

Church/Byrd in CENTER.

I don't ever wanna see Preston Wilson patrolling Center at RFK.  Put him in Left.

Frank has already stated that Wilson would play center is acquired and that Wilkerson would play in his natural position in left. But like I said in a different post, for the time being, it could be Wilkerson at 1B, Church/Byrd in left  and Wilson in center. If it turns out that center isn't where Wilson should be, then until Johnson gets back, he can more over to left and the Church/Byrd platoon can move to center. ANYTHING that keep Wil Cordero out of the lineup works for me...

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #14: July 13, 2005, 01:56:52 PM »
For those of us who seem to be worried about Wilson's glove, here as his overall numbers compared to Wilkerson's. Since the numbers are there, I've included each player's Range Factor (RF) as well...
               POS    G   GS   INN   PO   TC   A   E  DP  FPCT     RF
Preston Wilson   OF  860  816  7135 1904 1995  52  39  11  .980  2.467

POS    G   GS   INN   PO   TC   A   E  DP  FPCT     RF
Brad Wilkerson   OF  514  434  3797  920  978  38  20   8  .980  2.271
We might be worried about nothing. Maybe there is something to Jim Bowden's knowing something about outfielders after all. One thing's for sure, it does make you think...

BTW, For those who want to know, Range Factor = ((PO+A)*9/innings)

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #15: July 13, 2005, 02:45:03 PM »
well, Mike Stanton is a National, officially.

any opinions on this?

visionary

« Reply #16: July 13, 2005, 02:56:46 PM »

any opinions on this?

Where did you see that?

I've been checking every so often this morning.  

I hope he does well here, it will be nice to have him to use against lefties.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #17: July 13, 2005, 03:57:12 PM »
ESPN News reported it.

and now there is a press release on Nationals.com

Ryan Zimmerman

« Reply #18: July 13, 2005, 04:19:01 PM »
Quote from: "visionary"

any opinions on this?

Where did you see that?

I've been checking every so often this morning.  

I hope he does well here, it will be nice to have him to use against lefties.

Read the whole story here - nationals.com press release

Offline mjteggy05

« Reply #19: July 13, 2005, 04:20:08 PM »
his ERA this year is terrible and all, but when you break it down, i think lefties are only hitting like .160something, so he could be a perfect lefty in our pen. He's a veteran that adds depth, and still knows how to get lefties out. I like the move. It's not like we had to give anything up to get him.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #20: July 13, 2005, 07:17:11 PM »
church was having a great year before he got hurt, it sucks that he might be a bench guy, but wilson might be the big bat we need.

stanton hopefully gives the bullpen a break.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #21: July 13, 2005, 08:38:59 PM »
Here's a tip for posters with a very long URL... (coughs and glances towards Ryan Zimmerman)

1) paste in your URL
2) highlight all of it
3) click on the URL* button
4) at the beginning of the line replace the 1st ] with an =  giving you before the [ near the end of the link line
6) in between the ] and [ type in a name for your link (see sample below)

[url=http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/]Link description goes here[ /url]  <--- remove space before /

This will give you: [url=http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/]Link description goes here

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #22: July 13, 2005, 08:41:38 PM »
Quote from: "Nats19"
church was having a great year before he got hurt, it sucks that he might be a bench guy, but Wilson might be the big bat we need.

For the time being, with Wilson in Center (assuming the deal gets done), Wilkerson will move to first base, while Ryan Church and Marlon Byrd will go back to platooning in left field.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #23: July 13, 2005, 08:49:47 PM »
RZ, I took care of it for you.  Nothing personal, I just can't stand having to side-scroll.  One of my pet peeves :D

Kenz' tips are good advice for future URLs though ;)