Author Topic: Fishing  (Read 9468 times)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Re: Fishing
« Reply #25: May 06, 2011, 09:31:43 AM »
We know understand NoTLD - his brain has never recovered from eating fish caught in Burke Lake :lol:

« Reply #26: May 06, 2011, 09:36:27 AM »
We know understand NoTLD - his brain has never recovered from eating fish caught in Burke Lake :lol:

Actually, I've never eaten anything out of those two lakes. Burke Lake is okay, but there was a time Accotink looked like a waste dump.

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #27: May 06, 2011, 03:03:37 PM »
Few things beat a good Steelhead:

(Image removed from quote.)

Holy crap! I had no idea they were that big. Guess that what you get when you've only seen them on beer bottles...

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #28: May 06, 2011, 03:05:32 PM »
Holy crap! I had no idea they were that big. Guess that what you get when you've only seen them on beer bottles...

That is a beastly big one.

I've never fished for steelhead, they are not indiginous to this area and only available in select waters up north, and only during the spawning run I think.

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #29: May 06, 2011, 03:06:51 PM »
That is a beastly big one.

I've never fished for steelhead, they are not indiginous to this area and only available in select waters up north, and only during the spawning run I think.

Oh okay, good. I was thinking about never setting foot in fresh water again!

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #30: May 06, 2011, 03:19:39 PM »
Oh okay, good. I was thinking about never setting foot in fresh water again!

Nah, nothing to be afraid of in the water around here (other than the normal threats).  Unless, of course, you live in Portland.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #31: May 06, 2011, 03:38:19 PM »
Nah, nothing to be afraid of in the water around here (other than the normal threats).  Unless, of course, you live in Portland.

Hah, you've obviously never run across Channa argus, the Northern Snakehead, a close cousin of the Giant Snakehead featured in Discovery's "River Monsters" episode.

http://animal.discovery.com/fish/river-monsters/giant-snakehead/  

In that episode they also discussed the invasion of the Crofton pond and Potomac River by these toothy, pre-historic denizens of the shallows.  Love the dramatization of a little baby sitting on the ground playing while the sinister snakehead slithers across the ground with ill intent.    :nervous:  :pray:

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #32: May 06, 2011, 03:48:15 PM »
But do they taste good?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #33: May 06, 2011, 06:55:47 PM »
But do they taste good?

I've never tasted one.  They were imported into the US live in order to fulfill specific recipes from the home country, China, so at least there they have culinary value.  I've heard they are good to eat with more conventional recipes here.

One of my fishing buddies is ethnic Chinese and we've assigned him the job of preparing the first one we eat.    :twisted:

Offline Nathan

« Reply #34: May 06, 2011, 06:58:40 PM »
I could eat me some nice fried catfish right now.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #35: May 06, 2011, 07:29:08 PM »
There's always someone selling snakeheads in the markets in Thailand...they keep them in big plastic bowls without water, and they are very visibly alive.  I guess if they were in water, they could mess you up that much more easily when it came time to grab them. Big nasty looking things  :shock:

« Reply #36: May 06, 2011, 09:46:05 PM »
Who here has gone noodling?

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #37: May 06, 2011, 11:48:28 PM »
That is a very rustic pastime.  I have to admit that the mano a mano aspect of it seems much more fair.  Deer hunting should be the same way...stalk them completely naked, then it's a fair throwdown.  I would actually respect someone with an 8-point buck's head on their wall if it was taken spartan style, instead of like some Sarajevo sniper popping old ladies from a half mile away.
Who here has gone noodling?

« Reply #38: May 07, 2011, 09:03:10 AM »
Thanks to this thread I have started planning my first fishing trip in years with a friend of mine who is a complete redneck. I told him I was interested in catching some big fish and swears up and down that he can pull a 30-60 pound catfish out of the James River using eels as bait. Later this summer we are planning to pull his truck up to the bank of the James, throw in some lines, open a case of PBR and wait-- at night.

This opportunity is too unique to pass up. I've never seen a fish that big outside of an aquarium or monster movie.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #39: May 07, 2011, 03:36:14 PM »
Thanks to this thread I have started planning my first fishing trip in years with a friend of mine who is a complete redneck. I told him I was interested in catching some big fish and swears up and down that he can pull a 30-60 pound catfish out of the James River using eels as bait. Later this summer we are planning to pull his truck up to the bank of the James, throw in some lines, open a case of PBR and wait-- at night.

This opportunity is too unique to pass up. I've never seen a fish that big outside of an aquarium or monster movie.

(Image removed from quote.)

Since blue catfish have invaded the middle atlantic tidal rivers, catching an immense beast like that is eminently feasible. 

I'm still mulling over your life-to-date failure to catch a largemouth.  Some skills are required, particularly casting skills.  Most fishermen would consider it unsporting to use live bait for bass, which elevates the importance of being able to hit what you're throwing at in terms of your cast.

One place I go a few times a year, Mattawoman Creek off the Potomac River, is unbelievably stuffed with bass but to catch them on my favorite pattern, you have to hit a narrow ribbon of open water in between heavy grass beds.  If you miss, you are in the grass and the cast is futile.  But get it in the crease, let your Senko fall to the bottom, and you stand a chance at a solid fish.
There are some huge snakeheads in Mattawoman too, though I haven’t hooked one yet. 
Alternatively, I could put a really poor angler into catching some smallmouth bass, as much of the casting we do on the upper Potomac (defined as above Little Falls, all the way up) requires less precision, just spray casting to an area.  You still have to work the bait sufficiently to entice the fish into sampling it, and some folks don’t seem to get this rather nuanced “feel” required.  Still, we can catch a lot of smallies on a good day.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #40: May 07, 2011, 03:45:40 PM »
I remember fishing at the lake by Cunningham Falls and a truck arrived to stock the lake.  All the boats around the loading area (me and my dad on the other end of the lake fishing from shore), just pulling up fish.  I was like "how is that fishing?"

« Reply #41: May 07, 2011, 08:05:14 PM »
I'm still mulling over your life-to-date failure to catch a largemouth.  Some skills are required, particularly casting skills.  Most fishermen would consider it unsporting to use live bait for bass, which elevates the importance of being able to hit what you're throwing at in terms of your cast.

It horrible. I don't feel like a man. I feel like I am missing a valuable rite-of-passage to manhood. I sometimes can't sleep at night.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #42: May 07, 2011, 10:20:05 PM »
I remember fishing at the lake by Cunningham Falls and a truck arrived to stock the lake.  All the boats around the loading area (me and my dad on the other end of the lake fishing from shore), just pulling up fish.  I was like "how is that fishing?"

Trust me, it's not.

Reminds me of the time dad took us to a fish hatchery when we were little.  You could fish there, but had to keep anything you caught and paid by the inch per fish.  After a half hour of futile effort I had the eureka moment.  :idea:  There was a cart with some loose fish food in the bottom, they looked like Friskees cat food.  I dampened one and got it on my hook, then threw a handful of the pellets into the pond, whereupon a a feeding frenzy ensued (think, piranha) and I promttly landed a nice rainbow trout.  After about the 3rd one, dad hauled our butts out of there, he was going to run out of money fast.

Fun, but definitely not fishing.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #43: May 08, 2011, 03:19:06 PM »
Trust me, it's not.

I felt the same way the first time I went to Colorado.  :P

« Reply #44: May 08, 2011, 03:30:12 PM »
My other Grandfather used to take me to a trout farm in Arkansas. We went to get some trout for eating, not fishing, but he always let me catch'em for him and paid for whatever I caught big or small. It is one of my fondest memories of my Grandfather. Little kid "fishing" and catching dinner for the whole family? As a child I was stoked.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #45: May 08, 2011, 03:35:35 PM »
My other Grandfather used to take me to a trout farm in Arkansas. We went to get some trout for eating, not fishing, but he always let me catch'em for him and paid for whatever I caught big or small. It is one of my fondest memories of my Grandfather. Little kid "fishing" and catching dinner for the whole family? As a child I was stoked.

Did you ever go tubin' on the New River? 

« Reply #46: May 08, 2011, 03:44:41 PM »
Did you ever go tubin' on the New River? 

No, I never did. But I did go walking out into it and onto that island down near the Dedmon Center. I have gone tubing before, but on the James River which is where I am going to go find this mystical giant catfish.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #47: May 08, 2011, 03:53:15 PM »
No, I never did. But I did go walking out into it and onto that island down near the Dedmon Center. I have gone tubing before, but on the James River which is where I am going to go find this mystical giant catfish.

That's too bad.  The couple of summers I stayed in Blacksburg we took a couple of trips down the New River with a couple of sixers of PBR.  Definitely a lot of fun. 

I've had a lot of luck on the James over the years.  When I lived in Richmond I pulled a pretty ridiculous carp out of the James that looked like Admiral Ackbar.  Just make sure to bring some kind of club with you just in case you do land a giant catfish.  You might want to bring a shotgun too.

« Reply #48: May 09, 2011, 12:25:22 PM »

I've had a lot of luck on the James over the years.  When I lived in Richmond I pulled a pretty ridiculous carp out of the James that looked like Admiral Ackbar.  Just make sure to bring some kind of club with you just in case you do land a giant catfish.  You might want to bring a shotgun too.

Thanks to the Instant Netflix I have started watching River Monsters.

Yeah, my bud and I are just going to pull the bed of his truck up to the James, throw out the lines and drink PBR all night waiting for the big one.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #49: May 09, 2011, 12:30:11 PM »
Thanks to the Instant Netflix I have started watching River Monsters.

That show is great.  I really liked this episode on the white sturgeon:

http://animal.discovery.com/fish/river-monsters/white-sturgeon/