Author Topic: Playoff Seeding Question  (Read 1257 times)

Offline Jedgi

Playoff Seeding Question
« Topic Start: August 09, 2012, 11:31:58 PM »
I know I know we're a far ways off so I'm not going to use the Nationals as an example for my question. I'll use the AL and give the following standings for an example of my question.

1. Texas Rangers 108-74 (West Winner)
2. New York Yankees 104-78 (East Winner)
3. Detroit Tigers 98-84 (Central Winner)

4. Oakland Athletics 95-87 (West WC)
5/6. Baltimore Orioles 93-89 (East WC)
5/6. Los Angeles Angels 93-89 (West WC)

First of all how would the 5/6 tie be decided? A playoff game before the wild card playoff game?

But on to my main question, lets suppose the Athletics got the wild card, would they then be placed against the Yankees in round 1 of the playoffs since they are in the same division as the Rangers? If so, isn't that inherently unfair as the 1st place team should get the benefit of playing the slightly depleted rotation of the Wild Card team? (The Athletics would likely use their top ace in their game against LA/BAL and would not be able to immediately start him again in the next series)

If this scenario holds true, the 1st place team is punished for playing in a strong division and winning. Or if you spin it another way, the 2nd place team gets rewarded for playing in an easier division and still not having as many wins as the 1st place team.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

Re: Playoff Seeding Question
« Reply #1: August 09, 2012, 11:33:56 PM »
You can get a pretty good overview here: http://espn.go.com/mlb/huntforoctober

Wild card team will play the #1 seed regardless of division.  It is quite possible division rivals will meet up in the playoffs this season.

Offline Clever

« Reply #2: August 09, 2012, 11:35:09 PM »
I believe the intra-divisional rule was scrapped this year.

As the 2nd WC spot tie, I think may just be based off of head-to-head numbers.

Offline Jedgi

« Reply #3: August 09, 2012, 11:36:13 PM »
You can get a pretty good overview here: http://espn.go.com/mlb/huntforoctober

Wild card team will play the #1 seed regardless of division.  It is quite possible division rivals will meet up in the playoffs this season.

Thanks!

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #4: August 10, 2012, 09:31:36 AM »
The old rule where the wild card could not play its division winner was set up originally to create the possibility of rivalry LCSs.  The Red Sox in particular pushed for the WC and liked the rule because of the possibility of a Red Sox / Yankees LCS.  Probably the other teams saw the ratings potential of Cubs/St Louis, LAD / SF, etc... too, but it really was John Harrington (head of the Yawkee Estate Trust) who pushed the hardest for it.

Now with a 1 game play-in, the thought is that could be a ratings bonanza, too.  I think the last few play in games have been great games.  The problem logistically is the travel.  By having the top seed automatically play the first two at the wild card winner, it simplifies the travel.  the only tough thing might be if the WC game were between Baltimore and a west coast team.   Then the team with the best record has a decent shot at needing to fly coast to coast quickly and play.

Offline loshjott

« Reply #5: August 10, 2012, 09:39:17 AM »
Here is an informative article: http://content.usatoday.com/communities/dailypitch/post/2012/08/mlb-playoffs-2012-schedule-announced/1#.UCUOD7RDzTo

Interesting fact:

One other wrinkle on the Division Series: For this year only, the five-game Division Series will be played in a 2-3 format, with the lower-seeded club getting the first two games at home. That's to eliminate a travel day between potential Games 4 and 5.

This stinks if the Nats end up as one of the top two division winners - they are only assured one home game in the NLDS.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #6: August 10, 2012, 09:54:29 AM »
I know I know we're a far ways off so I'm not going to use the Nationals as an example for my question. I'll use the AL and give the following standings for an example of my question.

Thank gawd we're in the NL and only have to play 162 game schedules.  Those 182 game schedules in the AL are brutal.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #7: August 10, 2012, 10:01:24 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Baseball_tie-breaking_procedures

Some good info here too.  One scenario that could play out, Nats and braves tie for the division lead. They would have a one game playoff, where the loser has to use their second best pitcher in their playoff game against the wild card team with a potentially inferior record.  And then has to start the playoff series with their third pitcher.  Funny if they end up playing each other in a one game playoff and then the divisional series.  I guess they'd be playing do or die games all week, so they could be on their fifth starter by the wild card game.  Imagine having the guy not good enough to make our team starting our one game playof!

Offline markfnc

« Reply #8: August 10, 2012, 10:19:18 AM »
I have heard if the AL situation arises, there is a 1 game playoff between Angels & Orioles.   Then the 1 game wild card game between A's & winner on tie breaker.   Then Wild Card plays #1 seed regardless of division.  And #2 seed plays #3 seed.

Offline loshjott

« Reply #9: August 10, 2012, 10:19:58 AM »
Having a one-game playoff between two teams the have already clinched the post-season is absurd. Why not give the winner of the season series the division title and the other team the WC? This is what MLB has done until this year; I don't see why the 2nd WC should change it.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #10: August 10, 2012, 10:25:40 AM »
Having a one-game playoff between two teams the have already clinched the post-season is absurd. Why not give the winner of the season series the division title and the other team the WC? This is what MLB has done until this year; I don't see why the 2nd WC should change it.

Because there is a much bigger advantage getting the division title now.  It is a bye into the next round.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #11: August 10, 2012, 11:23:37 AM »
Here is an informative article: http://content.usatoday.com/communities/dailypitch/post/2012/08/mlb-playoffs-2012-schedule-announced/1#.UCUOD7RDzTo

Interesting fact:

This stinks if the Nats end up as one of the top two division winners - they are only assured one home game in the NLDS.

Wow thats horrid. #1 seed has to open on the road. That's ass backwards. It should be 2-2-1

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #12: August 10, 2012, 11:43:02 AM »
Wow thats horrid. #1 seed has to open on the road. That's ass backwards. It should be 2-2-1

Yeah, it's really awful

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #13: August 10, 2012, 11:51:59 AM »
I disagree - the less travel in such a short period the better, so bring on the 2-3 format.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #14: August 10, 2012, 11:53:21 AM »
The Nats are a good road team but come on.

Imagine if we have to open up in Atlanta for 2 games. Total bullcrap. Could be down 2-0 before even playing a home game.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #15: August 10, 2012, 11:58:40 AM »

I think that this was due to the late decision to add the second wildcard team this year, after the schedules were already published.  I believe it will return to a 2-2-1 next season.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #16: August 10, 2012, 12:35:14 PM »
The Nats are a good road team but come on.

Imagine if we have to open up in Atlanta for 2 games. Total bullcrap. Could be down 2-0 before even playing a home game.

it would be two games on the road with them starting at a random point in their rotation and us getting to line ours up. It's also a more compact schedule with less travel time, or should we copy the nba and have three months of playoffs?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #17: August 10, 2012, 01:06:39 PM »
I want the World Series on Christmas.  come to think of it, after 2005- 2011, the World Series is Christmas! 

Even if it isn't Strasmas :(

Offline RL04

« Reply #18: August 10, 2012, 02:19:11 PM »
I want the World Series on Christmas.   

Pretty close.   The WS will go into November.    It's gonna be cold in some cities.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #19: August 10, 2012, 02:23:02 PM »

We are a long way off if we've expanded the season to 182 games.  :lol:

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #20: August 10, 2012, 02:24:47 PM »
No it won't - the World Series will be over before Halloween

Pretty close.   The WS will go into November.    It's gonna be cold in some cities.

Offline markfnc

« Reply #21: August 10, 2012, 02:27:55 PM »
No it won't - the World Series will be over before Halloween

Game 7 would be Nov 1

Offline markfnc

« Reply #22: August 10, 2012, 02:29:53 PM »

2-3 is only this season, due to late addition of Wild Cardplayoff game.  then back to 2-2-1.  Even if you are #1 seed and have to go on the road, the wild card team will have used thier #1 starter in that wild card game.  Of course ours will only be used as a PH. 

Offline Jedgi

« Reply #23: August 10, 2012, 03:35:00 PM »
Thank gawd we're in the NL and only have to play 162 game schedules.  Those 182 game schedules in the AL are brutal.

Oops. So much for engineering majors being good at math.

Offline 114D

« Reply #24: August 10, 2012, 04:50:09 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Baseball_tie-breaking_procedures

Some good info here too.  One scenario that could play out, Nats and braves tie for the division lead. They would have a one game playoff, where the loser has to use their second best pitcher in their playoff game against the wild card team with a potentially inferior record.  And then has to start the playoff series with their third pitcher.  Funny if they end up playing each other in a one game playoff and then the divisional series.  I guess they'd be playing do or die games all week, so they could be on their fifth starter by the wild card game.  Imagine having the guy not good enough to make our team starting our one game playof!

The problem with your theory is it ignores the fact that the play-in game is right after game 162 so as much as you'd love to use your ace, your basically stuck with whoever is next in your rotation -- or maybe the one guy after that on short rest.