Author Topic: Ian Desmond Appreciation Thread  (Read 32805 times)

Offline sph274

Re: Ian Desmond Appreciation Thread
« Reply #475: June 20, 2013, 12:06:16 PM »
Seriously though glad this got bumped. Ian has produced all season at a premium position. Really glad he is on the team and i hope we extend him asap. Can see him passing zimmerman in "hero" status within a few years. Rendon harper and desmond is a heart of the lineup to be excited about

Offline Optics

« Reply #476: June 20, 2013, 12:13:02 PM »
Desi has always been one of my favorites, I'd say probably 3rd on the team behind Zimmermann and Ramos. I love that all those years we spent developing him are paying off, he could be a 2x All-Star.

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #477: June 20, 2013, 12:15:59 PM »
Desi has always been one of my favorites, I'd say probably 3rd on the team behind Zimmermann and Ramos. I love that all those years we spent developing him are paying off, he could be a 2x All-Star.

With Tulo out is there anyone besides Segura who's more deserving?

Offline Optics

« Reply #478: June 20, 2013, 12:21:10 PM »

Cabrera in SD has had a real good season, and I don't think anyone else on the Padres is deserving so he may get in as the token Padre player(horrible rule by the way).

Not counting Tulo, Desi is 1st in RBIs, 1st in doubles, tied for 1st in HRs, 2nd in SLG, 2nd in OPS and 3rd in hits among NL SSs. If he could just draw a few more walks he'd be an absolute walk.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #479: June 20, 2013, 12:24:18 PM »
Cabrera in SD has had a real good season, and I don't think anyone else on the Padres is deserving so he may get in as the token Padre player(horrible rule by the way).

Not counting Tulo, Desi is 1st in RBIs, 1st in doubles, tied for 1st in HRs, 2nd in SLG, 2nd in OPS and 3rd in hits among NL SSs. If he could just draw a few more walks he'd be an absolute walk.
He just went on the DL, too.

Personally, I like having a rep from every team.  The rosters are big enough to do that and still have most of the big names there.

Offline sph274

« Reply #480: June 20, 2013, 12:27:50 PM »
He just went on the DL, too.

Personally, I like having a rep from every team.  The rosters are big enough to do that and still have most of the big names there.

Yea and i mean it ensures that the al team isnt exclusively yankees and red sox. Yankees fans are notorious for being jerks about this crap. I think derek jeter is like third in al ss voting    :|

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #481: June 20, 2013, 12:34:05 PM »

I don't think so.  By the way, in looking at NL SS just now to respond to your question,  I noticed Andrelton Simmons has a 2.6 WAR according to ESPN (which I guess is bWAR).  His WAR is 1.0 for fangraphs.  LOL, this is why I don't trust defensive metrics for WAR yet. 

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #482: June 20, 2013, 02:43:45 PM »
freak tape, freak working the count, freak fouling off pitches

Be like Desi. Swing the freaking tree.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #483: June 20, 2013, 03:10:55 PM »
Hey KING!

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #484: June 20, 2013, 03:39:33 PM »
I kind of prefer Operation Desi Storm.

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #485: June 20, 2013, 04:06:09 PM »
I don't think so.  By the way, in looking at NL SS just now to respond to your question,  I noticed Andrelton Simmons has a 2.6 WAR according to ESPN (which I guess is bWAR).  His WAR is 1.0 for fangraphs.  LOL, this is why I don't trust defensive metrics for WAR yet.

:roll:

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #486: June 20, 2013, 05:00:33 PM »
You don't think such discrepancy in dWAR is a little intriguing?

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #487: June 20, 2013, 05:02:55 PM »
You don't think such discrepancy in dWAR is a little intriguing?
ESPN's WAR stat sucks.  Shouldn't use a discrepancy between ESPN's and Fangraph's to cast aspersions on Fangraph's WAR.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #488: June 20, 2013, 05:14:22 PM »
When I look at BR here, I see Desmond's WAR at 2.1, dWAR at 0.4, which includes a position adjustment.

When I look at FG here, I see Desmond's WAR at 2.2.  His defense includes 1 run fielding and 3.2 runs for position adjustment, or about 0.4 WAR.

Intriguing indeed.  My sense is the difference can only be explained by saying advanced stats are a conspiracy.  Let me go back to my tent in Lafeyette Park now that I've relined my baseball cap with tin foil. 

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #489: June 20, 2013, 05:16:49 PM »
ESPN's WAR stat sucks.  Shouldn't use a discrepancy between ESPN's and Fangraph's to cast aspersions on Fangraph's WAR.

ESPN's WAR stat is B-R's I believe.  B-R has Simmons with .3 oWAR and 2.6dWAR for a combined 2.6 WAR. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #490: June 20, 2013, 05:28:31 PM »
If ESPN's WAR is like BR's, then you should not add oWAR and dWAR together to get WAR.  BR has an explanation that that doublecounts some information.  do us a favor, add a link when you post WAR so we can see what you are referencing.

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #491: June 20, 2013, 05:30:14 PM »
JCA, in every post I noted what WAR I was referencing.  I also noted I was talking about SImmons, not Desmond.  Thanks for paying attention jerk. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #492: June 20, 2013, 05:47:07 PM »
MTH - You did not give a link, so don't whine when someone questions your work.  this is a desmond thread, anyway.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/simmoan01-bat.shtml

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=10847&position=SS

On the merits, it does look like there is about a 1.5 WAR diffference between the fangraphs defensive componenet on simmons and the BR component.  BR uses DRS after 2003, while FG uses UZR.  It is a short stretch, so some difference should not be surprising.   

This is why UZR or DRS or any advanced defensive stat system is not a holy grail.  To the extent this ripples through the WAR system, there's good room to dispute it as an inviolate number.  Usually, folks who produce WAR note that it should be used more as a starting point and rough comparability than as the Bible. 

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #493: June 20, 2013, 05:50:08 PM »
You are still talking down to me.  Unbelievable.  THis is the internet I guess.  Thanks, I'm outta here. 

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #494: June 20, 2013, 05:52:57 PM »

Desmond is my favorite nat because when I bought my daughter a t-shirt, his name/number was the only one they had in her size.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #495: June 20, 2013, 06:21:32 PM »
ESPN's WAR stat is B-R's I believe.  B-R has Simmons with .3 oWAR and 2.6dWAR for a combined 2.6 WAR. 
B-R's WAR is inferior to Fangraph's WAR.  We used to refer to the two as fWAR and rWAR on here to distinguish between the two.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #497: June 21, 2013, 08:44:39 AM »
To the extent this ripples through the WAR system, there's good room to dispute it as an inviolate number.  Usually, folks who produce WAR note that it should be used more as a starting point and rough comparability than as the Bible.
By the way, when I said the "folks who produce", that's a reference to the developers of the systems. They say don't treat it as the end of discussion.  It's more like a starting point or framework rather than end of story.

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #498: June 21, 2013, 10:25:46 AM »
Ian acknowledges this website http://thenationalsarchive.spreadshirt.com/eat-face-v2c-png-I103184063

I saw that on twitter, are any of the Nats Archivists on this site?

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #499: June 21, 2013, 11:18:34 AM »
By the way, when I said the "folks who produce", that's a reference to the developers of the systems. They say don't treat it as the end of discussion.  It's more like a starting point or framework rather than end of story.

Exactly.