Author Topic: Playoff ticket distribution for season ticket groups?  (Read 9219 times)

Offline Wormer

I'm curious if anyone has figured out how are they are distributing playoff tickets if they have, like many of us, multiple people in their season ticket group. 

I have 6 people including myself in my group.  (2 tickets per game)

I can think of a number of ways to do it, just wondering what solutions others may have come up with.

Thanks!

Jamie
(214 Row B)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
I'm curious if anyone has figured out how are they are distributing playoff tickets if they have, like many of us, multiple people in their season ticket group. 

I have 6 people including myself in my group.  (2 tickets per game)

I can think of a number of ways to do it, just wondering what solutions others may have come up with.

Thanks!

Jamie
(214 Row B)

Nope.  We've got 9 members - 7 "normal" shares (8 games each) and 2 150% shares (12 games each).

I think first order of business is to circulate the Nats email to the group, then solicit interest from each member as to how many games each would want.  Not everyone in my group is going to bite on the high prices, but I expect most would. 

We'll have some sort of random drawing and draft as per the regular season, but for 1 seat each game or our 2? 

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
I've got to figure out how to take care of maybe 15 or 16 partners.  ughh!

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Since $ paid for playoff tickets will get applied to 2012 rather than refunded should the Nats not go all the way, I think that reality should flow through to your partners.  If there chosen game doesn't occur, cost is applied to their 2013 share.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
81 pieces of paper in a hat. A big hat. 11 of them, give or take are marked with a game. Ticket partners get as many picks as games they initially paid for during the regular season. Alternatively, you could mark each of the 81 pieces of paper with a seat for a game, as opposed to giving the selector all tickets to that game. You only get as many seats as you pull.

Offline bud

According to my ticket rep, they are still working out all the details.  Fans will have to make a commitment for 2013, but the number of games is still under debate with the club. It looks like it'll be at least 29 games.

Offline Wormer

Thanks for the feedback everyone - I'm still noodling but I am strongly considering a weighted draft lottery.  I have one guy with 25 games, everyone else has between 10-12.  I think he should get some benefit for having so many more games than the rest of us.    I was thinking of the 81 selections, 1 for every game a person has.  This makes the weighting perfectly fair.   Then just pick 'em out of a hat.  Whoever's name is on the first piece of paper picked gets the first pick of games.  First pick can pick ANY POTENTIAL playoff or WS game.  This way you are not stuck with a game you can't go to.  However, the RISK is, if you pick game 12 (game 7 of the WS) they might not play that game.   You could pick game 1 which they would have a much better chance of playing but it will be an earlier round game.

The only caveat would be, everyone will get to pick 1 game before anyone gets to pick a 2nd game.   I would not want Mr. 25 games to luck into going to like 3 games and others 1 or none.

Anyway- this is what I am thinking. 

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
Here's my latest thinking for our group. For me, it's not just about who gets the tickets, but it's also about cash flow and keeping it simple so I don't have to answer lots of questions.

We have a group of 10 for a full game plan of 4 tix. Our plan costs more than $14,000 and post-season tickets (including WS) are $6K.

First, everyone needs to pay up in full by Aug. 31. I will put down the required 12.5% and go on the installment plan. (Yes, the deposit is still required before you become eligible for postseason tickets.) I will then use the extra money I get to buy all four ticket strips. We will then hold a draft lottery by drawing names out of a hat. (All my partners have equal shares so this part is easy.) I will split up the tickets in pairs so more partners can go.

People will pay extra for the postseason games they attend, of course. If they end up not going because the Nats are eliminated very early, then there's no further transactions for my partners.

The biggest challenge I have right now is trying to figure out exactly how much each postseason ticket costs so my partners know how much they will be paying. I'm not clear (and I don't think the Nats are either) how many games to divide costs of the strip by. If anyone knows, please share.

Offline Obed_Marsh

(Yes, the deposit is still required before you become eligible for postseason tickets.)

This in not what they told me on the phone nor does it match the renewel commitment language on the pages when checking out with the post season strip.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Texas hold 'em

Offline Baseball is Life

This in not what they told me on the phone nor does it match the renewel commitment language on the pages when checking out with the post season strip.

You're right. I had it wrong. You have to renew by Aug. 31 if you want to have access to the special pre-sale for individual post-season games.

I'm still going to require people in my group to pay in full if they want access to the strips. That way I can get a head start on putting together the group for next year. And it's a lot easier for managing the cash, as I described above.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
One could do the same thing with a random number generator, where the random number generates a value between 0.0 and 1.0.

For simplicity's sake, let's say a group had 3 members - person A with 1/2 the games and the persons B & C with 1/4 of the games.

Person A gets any random number between 0 and .5.  Person B gets any random number between .5 and .75.  Person C gets any random number between .75 and 1.0.  Then run a random number for each game as they occur in order, such as playoff game 1, game 2, game 5.  Then World Series game 1, WS game 2, WS game 6, WS game 7.

The group could have a rule that when someone is selected for a game, they can't be selected again until all members have won a game.

81 pieces of paper in a hat. A big hat. 11 of them, give or take are marked with a game. Ticket partners get as many picks as games they initially paid for during the regular season. Alternatively, you could mark each of the 81 pieces of paper with a seat for a game, as opposed to giving the selector all tickets to that game. You only get as many seats as you pull.

Offline Obed_Marsh

You're right. I had it wrong. You have to renew by Aug. 31 if you want to have access to the special pre-sale for individual post-season games.

Did you happen to ask if by purchasing the strip you gain access to the special presale? I forgot to ask this question. Given the language during the checkout process I would think so but it hasn't been very clear.

Offline Baseball is Life

Did you happen to ask if by purchasing the strip you gain access to the special presale? I forgot to ask this question. Given the language during the checkout process I would think so but it hasn't been very clear.

I did not but I have doubts given the language below...but the whole thing seems so confusing to me right now. I really don't have the time to navigate it all.... very frustrating.

"For all Season Ticket Holders who do not wish to purchase the full 2012 postseason strip, there will be an exclusive single game presale for all accounts that have renewed their season tickets for the 2013 season prior to August 31, 2012. All tickets are subject to availability."

Offline santanaf

We approach things a little differently. I have and own the 2 season tickets and sell off the season in blocks of 5 games that are selected in a serpentine draft format. I don't split benefits, etc, but do sell at face value. From this, I usually opt to purchase 15 games or 3 blocks from my own and enter my name in to the draft. Through the process, I've never guaranteed any postseason or special tickets, and I also do not allow opening day to be drafted (which makes an even 80 game split in the draft). I've always done this because I assume all responsibility and burden for the tickets and their distribution. We don't typically draft until early March, and lots of people come and go each season.

For postseason, I am planning to use all of the primary ST seats for myself and family, and then purchase the additional 2 seats (in our section, just a few rows back). I will then take all people who purchased blocks of games and then setup a lottery (I will remove myself from this lottery). Then, the people who purchased blocks will be able to select from the potential postseason tickets. They can choose to select "sure thing" games, or possibility games. So the first drafter will have the option to select either the first home playoff game, or game 7 of the WS (or any game between). It's up to the drafter if they want to risk a bigger game, or go with a more sure thing. This draft will continue until all possibly games are selected. The people who select the games will only need to pay if the games are played, and I will give refunds for any games that are not played. If I have additional chances at presale tickets, I will buy them and place them in the draft, rather than list on StubHub or anything.

I feel like this gives the people who purchase ticket blocks a shot at postseason, even though it was specifically not included in the overall agreement for purchasing ticket blocks.

Oh, also, the largest numbers of packs people purchase are 2 and smallest are obviously 1. So it's all relatively evenly weighted.

Thoughts?

Offline Baseball is Life

We approach things a little differently. I have and own the 2 season tickets and sell off the season in blocks of 5 games that are selected in a serpentine draft format. I don't split benefits, etc, but do sell at face value. From this, I usually opt to purchase 15 games or 3 blocks from my own and enter my name in to the draft. Through the process, I've never guaranteed any postseason or special tickets, and I also do not allow opening day to be drafted (which makes an even 80 game split in the draft). I've always done this because I assume all responsibility and burden for the tickets and their distribution. We don't typically draft until early March, and lots of people come and go each season.

For postseason, I am planning to use all of the primary ST seats for myself and family, and then purchase the additional 2 seats (in our section, just a few rows back). I will then take all people who purchased blocks of games and then setup a lottery (I will remove myself from this lottery). Then, the people who purchased blocks will be able to select from the potential postseason tickets. They can choose to select "sure thing" games, or possibility games. So the first drafter will have the option to select either the first home playoff game, or game 7 of the WS (or any game between). It's up to the drafter if they want to risk a bigger game, or go with a more sure thing. This draft will continue until all possibly games are selected. The people who select the games will only need to pay if the games are played, and I will give refunds for any games that are not played. If I have additional chances at presale tickets, I will buy them and place them in the draft, rather than list on StubHub or anything.

I feel like this gives the people who purchase ticket blocks a shot at postseason, even though it was specifically not included in the overall agreement for purchasing ticket blocks.

Oh, also, the largest numbers of packs people purchase are 2 and smallest are obviously 1. So it's all relatively evenly weighted.

Thoughts?

I like your system. I don't have an agreement with my partners on post season tickets. I just think it's the right thing to do because some of these people have been my partners for years.  And, frankly, I don't have the budget to go to every post season game.

Offline djnrook

We're doing a serpentine draft, just like we do for the regular season.   4 full season tickets, 12 postseason games possible, so we'll split that into 24 pairs of seats.   Add the 2 extra strips, and we have 36 pairs of seats to auction off.   We have 8 partners with 10 games each.  We'll do a draft with five rounds of 8.   If you get first pick, you can choose a pair of seats for game 7 of the world series, knowing it may not happen, or you can pick game 1 of the division series.   Some definite strategy there.  Then once we finish round 4 and have exhausted 32 pairs of tickets, we'll have 4 pairs left.  The last round each person can only choose a single seat, so they'll have to sit next to one of the other partners, but they'll still see a game.   (and all the partners get along so that won't be a problem).    Any game you pick (and pay for) that doesn't happen you'll get the credit toward next years invoice.   

Offline Baseball is Life

We're doing a serpentine draft, just like we do for the regular season.   4 full season tickets, 12 postseason games possible, so we'll split that into 24 pairs of seats.   Add the 2 extra strips, and we have 36 pairs of seats to auction off.   We have 8 partners with 10 games each.  We'll do a draft with five rounds of 8.   If you get first pick, you can choose a pair of seats for game 7 of the world series, knowing it may not happen, or you can pick game 1 of the division series.   Some definite strategy there.  Then once we finish round 4 and have exhausted 32 pairs of tickets, we'll have 4 pairs left.  The last round each person can only choose a single seat, so they'll have to sit next to one of the other partners, but they'll still see a game.   (and all the partners get along so that won't be a problem).    Any game you pick (and pay for) that doesn't happen you'll get the credit toward next years invoice.   

How did you get 12 post-season games possible at this point without knowing if they are a WC or division winner?

Offline djnrook

How did you get 12 post-season games possible at this point without knowing if they are a WC or division winner?

We are assuming 12 is the max possible.  Working backwards:

4 for World Series
4 for NLCS

And then either:
3 for division series plus 1 for tiebreaker, or
2 for division series, 1 for WC game, and 1 for tiebreaker

Figuring if they play the wild card game they don't have home field for the first round.   Could very likely be only 11, but that's part of the draft risk. 

2012 Postseason Schedule:
Tiebreaker - TBD, if necessary
Wild Card Game - Begins October 5, Location and Time TBD, if necessary
N.L. Division Series - Begins October 6, Dates and Times TBD
Home Game 1
Home Game 2*
Home Game 3* (if the Nationals have home-field advantage)
N.L. Championship Series - Begins October 13-14, Dates and Times TBD
Home Game 1
Home Game 2
Home Game 3*
Home Game 4* (if the Nationals have home-field advantage)
World Series - Begins October 24, Dates and Times TBD
Game 1
Game 2
Game 6*
Game 7*
*If necessary
A full 2012 postseason strip consists of a seat to all potential postseason home games, including any tiebreakers and the Wild Card Game.

Offline Baseball is Life

This is confusing, to say the least. I'm being asked to pay $3K for 4 tickets to the playoffs. So how can I figure out the cost of each ticket?. Divide by the number of expected games or the games they actually play.

Same thing with WS. I'm being asked to pay $3K for four tickets to the World Series. Should I simply divide that by the possible games or the games they actually play?

I am trying to tell my ticket partners how much they will actually have to pay for tickets. Can't get my rep to call me back or return my calls.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
This is confusing, to say the least. I'm being asked to pay $3K for 4 tickets to the playoffs. So how can I figure out the cost of each ticket?. Divide by the number of expected games or the games they actually play.

Same thing with WS. I'm being asked to pay $3K for four tickets to the World Series. Should I simply divide that by the possible games or the games they actually play?

I am trying to tell my ticket partners how much they will actually have to pay for tickets. Can't get my rep to call me back or return my calls.

Possible games, as the excess (games not played) are credited back against 2013.  I think.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Possible games, as the excess (games not played) are credited back against 2013.  I think.

The strips contain 9 games before the WS and 4 during the WS (the full amount can of course never occur as the wild card team cannot get home field advantage until the WS).  Prices increase during each round but the team has not released the face value for each of the rounds, except the WS which is easy to calculate since the price is separated out.  In what I believe is a reversal of policy, the team will refund any ticket payments for games not played that are above the price of the renewal of your current plan.

Offline rbw5t

In what I believe is a reversal of policy, the team will refund any ticket payments for games not played that are above the price of the renewal of your current plan.

That's good news if true.  Where did you hear/read that?  The team site still says:

"For postseason games not played, all monies received (net of the $20 non refundable processing charge) will be credited toward your 2013 season ticket plan.

NO REFUNDS, EXCHANGES OR CANCELLATIONS WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR ANY POSTESEASON TICKET PURCHASE, BUT THE VALUE OF TICKETS TO POSTSEASON GAMES THAT DO NOT TAKE PLACE WILL BE USED TOWARDS THE PURCHASE OR RENEWAL OF 2013 SEASON TICKETS ONLY."

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
That's good news if true.  Where did you hear/read that?  The team site still says:

"For postseason games not played, all monies received (net of the $20 non refundable processing charge) will be credited toward your 2013 season ticket plan.

NO REFUNDS, EXCHANGES OR CANCELLATIONS WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR ANY POSTESEASON TICKET PURCHASE, BUT THE VALUE OF TICKETS TO POSTSEASON GAMES THAT DO NOT TAKE PLACE WILL BE USED TOWARDS THE PURCHASE OR RENEWAL OF 2013 SEASON TICKETS ONLY."

If you have a 20 game plan, I'd get this in writing before committing, but I've heard that the policy change has been made.

MLB has a Web Page with the policies for every team from last year, some offered refunds for games not played and some put the balance toward 2012,but none were as bad as the Nats originally announced.

The 13 game strip for a maximum of 12 games does seem to be standard.

Offline Gleason2

In what I believe is a reversal of policy, the team will refund any ticket payments for games not played that are above the price of the renewal of your current plan.

My ticket rep told me this very thing earlier today.  If you carry a $1,500 credit after the Nats are out of the playoffs and renewal of your 2012 plan costs $1,000, the other $500 will be refunded.  That's exactly what she told me.