Author Topic: The Espinosa watch thread  (Read 11215 times)

Offline hammondsnats

Re: The Espinosa watch thread
« Reply #100: May 03, 2012, 09:00:35 AM »
A walk, a steal, sets up the tieing run.  nice catch on Lombo's throw after his great pick.  there are better days to complain. 

and i have.  .188 AVG, .533 OPS, yikes.

he's the weakest link in the line-up right now outside of the hole that is LF.  but that's morse's spot.  with zim slated to come off the DL possibly sunday, i'm all for playing lombo everyday at 2B.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #101: May 03, 2012, 09:03:54 AM »
At this point, I'm for sending Espinosa down, too, and playing Lombo everyday at 2d.  I'm just saying that he did not have a bad game yesterday.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #102: May 03, 2012, 09:08:10 AM »
At this point, I'm for sending Espinosa down, too, and playing Lombo everyday at 2d.  I'm just saying that he did not have a bad game yesterday.

his approach at the plate is just off.  whether it's an eckstein influence or not, he just looks completely lost.  moving parts, timing, etc.

i'm not the manager/GM so i don't know what's the best route for him to get out of this.  whether it's let him play out of it and hope for the best or to send him down and break him down from square one and really work on his swing. 

i'd like to keep him in the bigs b/c he's a tremendously valuable piece for us.  but he is looking like an automatic out and hasn't done squat w/ RISP. 

it's obviously a mental thing, so you don't want to break the guy's confidence.  but at the same time, with zim coming back and lombo swinging a good bat, you can't sit him down. 

hopefully it was just a bad month for him and he gets it straightened out.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #103: May 03, 2012, 09:11:05 AM »

Send him down but only after Zim comes back from the DL and proves he's healthy.  Chad Tracy is not much better at the plate and he's worse defensively.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #104: May 03, 2012, 09:22:12 AM »

and i have.  .188 AVG, .533 OPS, yikes.

he's the weakest link in the line-up right now outside of the hole that is LF.  but that's morse's spot.  with zim slated to come off the DL possibly sunday, i'm all for playing lombo everyday at 2B.

Both of the above are viable alternatives. Zim will hopefully be back Tuesday ( an extra 2 days off) and I think Moore goes back to 'Cuse based on his limited starts so far. I would put Lombo at 2B and use Espi as the back up MI.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #105: May 03, 2012, 09:45:10 AM »
Send him down but only after Zim comes back from the DL and proves he's healthy.  Chad Tracy is not much better at the plate and he's worse defensively.

I said the same thing in the gameday thread.

Quote from: Lintyfresh85
Because right now Tracy is a better option (offense and defense) than Espinoa. :roll:

When Zimm comes back sure, let Lombo take over. But right now? Hell no don't bench him.

Let him ride the pine or AAA when Zimm comes back... but right now, he's the best option for 2B the team currently has on the roster.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #106: May 03, 2012, 10:30:49 AM »
^
yeah that's what i'm saying.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #107: May 03, 2012, 11:21:51 AM »
It's too early to give up on someone who is expected to be a core player for years to come. I'd give him until the ASB. Move him down the lineup for now.

Of course, this is a moot point until Zim comes back. Lombo needs to stay at 3B.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #108: May 03, 2012, 11:46:52 AM »
Of course, this is a moot point until Zim comes back. Lombo needs to stay at 3B.

It's not a moot point, b/c Zimmerman is expected back either Sunday or Tuesday.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #109: May 03, 2012, 04:07:05 PM »
Because right now Tracy is a better option (offense and defense) than Espinoa. :roll:

When Zimm comes back sure, let Lombo take over. But right now? Hell no don't bench him.

To expand on this, Espinosa is still young and does have some upside and room to grow.  People like Tracy don't.  Nady needs to be gone.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #110: May 03, 2012, 04:49:43 PM »
I'm  abig Espinosa fan but he needs to be sent down for a while to figure out his plate issues. 

You can get away with keeping him here and hitting him eighth if the offense is better than it is now.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #111: May 03, 2012, 05:02:44 PM »
I'm  abig Espinosa fan but he needs to be sent down for a while to figure out his plate issues. 

You can get away with keeping him here and hitting him eighth if the offense is better than it is now.

And who is the replacement MI as I we have no one in AAA ? We saw enough of DeRosa and you want to give Tracy a shot?

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #112: May 03, 2012, 05:05:34 PM »
And who is the replacement MI as I we have no one in AAA ? We saw enough of DeRosa and you want to give Tracy a shot?

Once Zim comes back it would be Lombo. But either way, I don't want Espinosa sent down yet, bat him eighth.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #113: May 03, 2012, 05:17:48 PM »

Teahen or Hoffpauir? with lombo to second

Offline Ray D

« Reply #114: May 03, 2012, 05:21:19 PM »
But either way, I don't want Espinosa sent down yet, bat him eighth.
You could keep Ed Brinkman and his .188 because he was a brilliant shortstop.   Espinosa might be a brilliant shortstop too but he's not playing there, and he isn't valuable enough at second base to sustain him and his .188.   Move him to shortstop and bench Desmond, or bench Espinosa.   It's really as simple as that.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #115: May 03, 2012, 05:55:39 PM »

:couch: Jeff Kobernus :couch:

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #116: May 03, 2012, 05:57:55 PM »
You could keep Ed Brinkman and his .188 because he was a brilliant shortstop.   Espinosa might be a brilliant shortstop too but he's not playing there, and he isn't valuable enough at second base to sustain him and his .188.   Move him to shortstop and bench Desmond, or bench Espinosa.   It's really as simple as that.

Bench espinosa and start Lombo. Although I think Brinkman was at least a .200 or .205 hitter!

Beyond Desmond, Lombo, and espinosa, the organization seems a couple of years away from help in the infield. Waiting for Rendon (injured at Potomac) or Kobernus (Harrisburg).

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!
« Reply #117: May 03, 2012, 06:04:31 PM »
His defense is really good. All i say is move him down in the lineup. Move him behind Harper, and possibly Ramos....

Offline Ray D

« Reply #118: May 03, 2012, 06:07:38 PM »
His defense is really good.

Yes but you need offfensive production from a second baseman, more than you need defense.  The only way to leverage that great defense of his is to move him to shortstop.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #119: May 03, 2012, 06:10:45 PM »
Although I think Brinkman was at least a .200 or .205 hitter!

Some years yes.  However ...

1965 - .185
1967 - .188
1968 - .187

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #120: May 03, 2012, 06:18:10 PM »
Yes but you need offfensive production from a second baseman, more than you need defense.  The only way to leverage that great defense of his is to move him to shortstop.

I was quickly looking at fan graphs, and it looks like short stops are right up there with second basemen now (at least measured by wOBA), i.e. if he can't hit, he needs to either catch or be in aaa

Offline Mth202

« Reply #121: May 03, 2012, 06:21:37 PM »
I just hope he gets back to his last year form... I remember him hitting big hrs, and the walkoff of course. Hell be okay im predicting hell have at least one successful AB tonight

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #122: May 03, 2012, 06:22:04 PM »
Marky Mark talks about Espinosa's fear of being sent down:
http://www.natsinsider.com/2012/05/espinosa-overcomes-fear-of-demotion.html
The highlight:

"Oh, I was. I was [defecating] in my pants," the Nationals second baseman said. "I was. I was nervous. I mean, I'm young. Every young player, when you're not doing well, there's always that thought of you could go down.

"That's why I'm not going to sit here and say I'm the guy that thinks I'm invincible and they're not going to ever send me down. Every young player thinks that. I'm not lying. Whether people want to hear that or not, that goes through every young player's head. That went through my head for a few days."

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #123: May 03, 2012, 07:34:32 PM »
The only thing keeping me from screaming for Espinosa to be permanently benched, is that Mikey Morse started just as horribly last season.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #124: May 03, 2012, 07:39:09 PM »
The only thing keeping me from screaming for Espinosa to be permanently benched, is that Mikey Morse started just as horribly last season.

He had started coming out of his slump by now.