Author Topic: Non-Nats Offseason news  (Read 18879 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Non-Nats Offseason news
« Reply #25: October 21, 2012, 12:54:08 PM »
So, essentially, they brought in Bell for the same role Ryan Mattheus or Christian Garcia serves, if he's just a bridge to Hernandez.  That's a lot for a middle guy, no matter how good he was.

A lot of money maybe. It''s 10 million over the next two years plus a 9M option. That's not terrible if Bell returns to 2011 level.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #26: October 21, 2012, 01:01:32 PM »
It's not quite Soriano money, but it's more than Thornton :az: , Benoit, and virtually any other set up guy.  Why not deal for Clippard or sign Joel Peralta for a lot less?  Maybe I'm obsessing about the cost too much, but they just traded a starting CF for a middle reliever.  Surely they could have found someone who was in better shape and was coming off a better year?

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #27: October 21, 2012, 01:29:03 PM »
So, essentially, they brought in Bell for the same role Ryan Mattheus or Christian Garcia serves, if he's just a bridge to Hernandez.  That's a lot for a middle guy, no matter how good he was.

True - I doubt too many relievers will get that kind of money this year in free agency.  Maybe Rafael Soriano and a couple of others.

On top of that, Bell is clearly trending downwards and has been for the past 3 or 4 years.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28: October 21, 2012, 01:47:35 PM »
Red Sox also get Adam Lind

Lind portion turns out to be a bad rumor, for now.
Reports surfaced -- presumably out of Toronto -- soon after Farrell's hiring that first baseman Adam Lind would be heading to Boston as part of this transaction. (Because MLB prohibits the swap of players for non-players, the Blue Jays will have to send a player back to Boston in exchange for Mike Aviles.) The notion it would be Lind, a one-time cornerstone of the Jays franchise who hit 84 home runs from 2009-11, seemed a stretch; he's certainly been a huge disappointment in Toronto in recent years, but he's still only 29 and has far more value than the bag-of-balls-type player who's usually included in this type of deal.

Sure enough, the Lind-to-Boston-as-part-of-the-Farrell-compensation-deal reports were shot down hours later. Still, it's possible the Sox have an interest in a reclamation project such as Lind, especially since they're in the market for a first baseman. Something to keep an eye on in the days ahead.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #29: October 21, 2012, 03:32:38 PM »
Giambi has real shot at getting the Rockies' manager job. That's kinda awesome.

Offline blue911

« Reply #30: October 21, 2012, 03:58:53 PM »
It's not quite Soriano money, but it's more than Thornton :az: , Benoit, and virtually any other set up guy.  Why not deal for Clippard or sign Joel Peralta for a lot less?  Maybe I'm obsessing about the cost too much, but they just traded a starting CF for a middle reliever.  Surely they could have found someone who was in better shape and was coming off a better year?

Middle relieved and a starting shortstop.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31: October 21, 2012, 08:59:33 PM »
Middle relieved and a starting shortstop.

If you call pennington a starting shortstop.  Is he that much better than John McDonald?

Offline blue911

« Reply #32: October 21, 2012, 09:15:50 PM »
If you call pennington a starting shortstop.  Is he that much better than John McDonald?

Lets start with Pennington being 10 years younger, has a better bat, a better base stealer and a better arm. MacDonald is fine off the bench but shouldn't ever be a starter. It seems like Chili Davis didn't work well with the non power players in Oakland. Arizona just may be what Pennington needs to get his bat unstuck.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33: October 21, 2012, 09:40:20 PM »
at least you did not say better glove.

I kind of liked Pennington, but he was awful last year.  I just don't place a high value on him.  As you say, maybe a change of scenery will do him good. 

Offline blue911

« Reply #34: October 21, 2012, 09:47:39 PM »
at least you did not say better glove.

I kind of liked Pennington, but he was awful last year.  I just don't place a high value on him.  As you say, maybe a change of scenery will do him good. 

Keep in mind Oakland is a terrible bitters park while Arizona is terrific. Because they don't use a humidor it may play as small as Coors

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35: October 22, 2012, 08:26:22 AM »
So you really like this move for AZ? I'm thinking for a 35 year old former closer / set up guy coming off an off year and a SS who has been kind of a disappointment his first 7 years of pro ball, the paid a steep price.  But, maybe it is a great buy - low opportunity, they can have a dominant bullpen that takes away the last 3 innings from opponents hitters, Pennington blossoms, and they end up better with Eaton in CF than they would have been with Young. 

Nice article on the trade from AZ's perspective

Offline blue911

« Reply #36: October 22, 2012, 10:06:06 AM »
So you really like this move for AZ? I'm thinking for a 35 year old former closer / set up guy coming off an off year and a SS who has been kind of a disappointment his first 7 years of pro ball, the paid a steep price.  But, maybe it is a great buy - low opportunity, they can have a dominant bullpen that takes away the last 3 innings from opponents hitters, Pennington blossoms, and they end up better with Eaton in CF than they would have been with Young. 

Nice article on the trade from AZ's perspective

Like it? Not at first glace but Bell was much better in the second half. I don't think he will ever be an effective closer again but certainly can be an above average match up guy. Pennington gives them what Drew and MacDonald couldn't a steady everyday shortstop. He may not hit but he can play short and not kill you. They didn't need Young, whose offense has stagnated in a hitters paradise, with Eaton,Parra,Kubel and Upton. I think Bell is vastly overpaid, but getting a cost effective shortstop makes up for the overpay.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #37: November 21, 2012, 02:15:58 PM »
Gomez to the Red Sox for a 2 year deal.  I'm really surprised he got 2 years.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #38: November 21, 2012, 09:20:37 PM »
Lahair to japan after being DFAed by the cubbies.  I don't get this move from the cubs standpoint.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #39: November 21, 2012, 09:32:46 PM »
Clearly Lahair thought he could get paid more in Japan... And it turns out he was correct.

Offline imref

« Reply #40: November 21, 2012, 09:35:46 PM »
Gomez to the Red Sox for a 2 year deal.  I'm really surprised he got 2 years.

2/$10m.  Just wow, for a platoon guy.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #41: November 21, 2012, 09:42:43 PM »
2/$10m.  Just wow, for a platoon guy.

money is not the objective for teams like the Sox.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #42: November 21, 2012, 10:08:09 PM »
Boston is idiotic. Giving Gomes starter playing time is going to drastically reduce his effectiveness, on top of his not so solid (Mindfacting that.) defense. Oakland used him perfectly last year, but Boston is apparently too stupid to understand stats.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #43: November 21, 2012, 10:21:19 PM »
I'm sure they'll end up platooning him in the long run.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #44: November 21, 2012, 11:29:49 PM »
Boston is idiotic. Giving Gomes starter playing time is going to drastically reduce his effectiveness, on top of his not so solid (Mindfacting that.) defense. Oakland used him perfectly last year, but Boston is apparently too stupid to understand stats.

Where have you read they're going to start him?

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #45: November 22, 2012, 02:42:19 AM »
Where have you read they're going to start him?
His salary.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #46: November 22, 2012, 12:28:12 PM »
His salary.

5 million is chump change to the Sox. And if they put him in LF his defense at Fenway is about as important as the batboy

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47: December 06, 2012, 02:30:42 PM »
Just bumping this to remind folks that we have a thread dedicated to moves by other teams that do not directly impact the Nats.

Offline imref

« Reply #48: December 06, 2012, 04:40:42 PM »
Seattle talking 3/20-25m with Hamilton.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49: December 06, 2012, 04:58:56 PM »
wow, do they have photos in some bathroom of him with some "fan" after a night in a bar?

I can't believe the market for him is that low, unless he has as a condition for going to a team "you must be in a place that gets no media coverage and the team cannot be a contender because I can't take a high profile."

keep him in the AL - my fantasy team has him for another year at $30.