Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Anthony Rendon, 3B (and 2B, we hope)  (Read 84645 times)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Height:  6'0
Weight:  190
DOB:  6/06/1990
Hometown:  Houston, Texas
School(s):  Lamar H.S. (Houston, Texas), Rice University (Houston, Texas)
Position:  Third Base
Drafted: 1st round in 2011 draft
Nationals Prospect rank for 2012: 2 - Fangraphs, 2 - Baseball America, 2 - Minor League Ball, 2 - Baseball Prospectus 

What are the chances the Washington Nationals could land the best player in the MLB Draft three years running? If you said "pretty good", well, you'd be correct. With the sixth pick in the 2011 draft, the Nationals selected 3B Anthony Rendon from Rice University.

Long thought of as the top player in the draft, Rendon slipped to sixth due to concerns about the health of his shoulder. After a thorough checking by the Nats medical staff and GM Mike Rizzo, the Nats pulled the trigger on Rendon and immediately became the darlings of the 2011 draft.

While the concerns remain about the health of Rendon's shoulder, if the Nats get him back healthy, the sky is the limit. Blessed with great bat speed and a keen eye, Rendon is the total package at the plate. Considered a plus fielder, the only tool lacking in Rendon's impressive game may be top shelf speed.

Rendon now becomes another name to add to the Nats rapidly growing prospects list alongside names like Harper, Strasburg, Norris, Cole and Solis.

Stats:

2009 - COL - .388/.468/.702/1.170, 20 HR, 72 RBI, 31/23 BB/K, 9 SB
2010 - COL - .394/.539/.801/1.340, 26 HR, 85 RBI, 65/22 BB/K, 14 SB
2011 - COL - .320/.520/.523/1.043, 6 HR, 37 RBI, 80/33 BB/K, 13 SB

Links:

Baseball Cube Page

Welcome the big fella to the Nats family!!!!!

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Re: Follow the Prospects: Anthony Rendon
« Reply #1: June 06, 2011, 07:37:38 PM »
hahahahah awesome :thumbs: :metal: :cheers:

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #2: June 06, 2011, 07:45:49 PM »
Is it ren-DOANE? that's how they were saying it, but I've heard other pronunciations as well.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #3: June 06, 2011, 07:47:36 PM »
Is it ren-DOANE? that's how they were saying it, but I've heard other pronunciations as well.

That's the Spanish pronounciation.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #4: June 06, 2011, 07:51:30 PM »

That is correct. Two of my friends are close friends of Anthony's and they both say ren-DOANE. the ren-DAWN stuff you're hearing is just old white guys making stuff up

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #5: June 06, 2011, 07:52:59 PM »
That is correct. Two of my friends are close friends of Anthony's and they both say ren-DOANE. the ren-DAWN stuff you're hearing is just old white guys making stuff up

he says his ankle injuries are a thing of the past and that the recent shoulder injury made him a more mature person (great quote there, hell ryan zimmerman just said that yesterday for the first time). 

hopefully he's healthy.  he's a stud.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Re: Follow the Prospects: Anthony Rendon, 3B
« Reply #6: June 06, 2011, 08:00:35 PM »
Will start career as a 3B.

AdamKilgoreWP

Rizzo says "we'll make those decisions down the road" about Rendon's position. He'll start career as third baseman.

« Reply #7: June 06, 2011, 08:05:58 PM »
Steal!!!!

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #8: June 06, 2011, 08:20:55 PM »
The team is bracing for Zimmerman leaving.....

LAC

:stir:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #9: June 06, 2011, 08:44:52 PM »
Linty - are you going to do some links, pictures, and profile of the guy and modify the first post??  If not, then I'll look for someone to do a F- t -P thread.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #10: June 06, 2011, 08:45:58 PM »
I can do it.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #11: June 06, 2011, 08:48:34 PM »
Everyone post links and articles here, then linty can pick what he wants and put it up front in the first post (easy to find there).

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #12: June 06, 2011, 09:19:49 PM »
That's the Spanish pronounciation.

oh okay, he's spanish, it makes sense now. although it should be Rendón.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #13: June 06, 2011, 09:27:51 PM »
great thread!

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #14: June 06, 2011, 09:33:29 PM »
After watching the scouting report on mlb.com, I somehow see him as eventual trade bade if we hang onto Zimmerman, otherwise why draft a guy with plus defense at 3b to turn into a 1b, unless the shoulder is expected to effect his throwing from third to first

Offline imref

« Reply #15: June 06, 2011, 09:42:47 PM »
After watching the scouting report on mlb.com, I somehow see him as eventual trade bade if we hang onto Zimmerman, otherwise why draft a guy with plus defense at 3b to turn into a 1b, unless the shoulder is expected to effect his throwing from third to first

Law says he's hearing that we will turn him into a 2B, meaning that Desmond's days are numbered (he says Rendon could be in the majors next year).

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #16: June 06, 2011, 09:43:51 PM »
i thought he was supposed to be rather slow?

edit, I don't want to come off as bashing him, and I think he's a great pick, however, the position that seems to suit him best is locked down, therefore, I think his value is as a trade chip in the kind of trade this team usually is incapable of pulling off (i.e. for an ace or impact bat). If healthy, there is no reason he wont shoot to the top of prospect lists and have huge value by the time he's eligible to trade

Offline imref

« Reply #17: June 06, 2011, 09:56:27 PM »
Sheinin's report:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/2011-mlb-draft-nationals-pick-anthony-rendon-with-no-6-pick-in-surprise/2011/06/06/AGPt5dKH_story.html

“Our medical staff has cleared his health, and we felt that if that was the reason he fell to sixth, we’re satisfied in the [scouting] work we’ve done on him,” Rizzo said of the 6-foot, 190-pound right-handed hitter. “We got all the medical reports and films. We feel good about it.”

There will be other questions, as well: Do the Nationals have the stomach for a third consecutive deadline showdown with notorious super-agent Scott Boras, who represents Rendon, as well as Strasburg and Harper? (“We have a good relationship with the agent and a great relationship with the player and the family,” Rizzo said. “We’re optimistic as always that we’re going to get the guy signed.”)

And also: With Ryan Zimmerman presumably entrenched at third base at least through 2013, where will Rendon play? According to Rizzo, the Nationals have Rendon graded as a “Gold Glove-caliber” third baseman, but also someone with the athleticism to play elsewhere on the diamond.

“Right now, we feel third base is his best position,” Rizzo said. Though Rendon will begin his professional career at third (most likely with one of the Nationals’ Class A affiliates), Rizzo said the team would “delay” an ultimate decision on his position until he gets to the big leagues.

After a monster sophomore season in 2010, during which he hit .394 with 26 home runs, Rendon was the early favorite as the top pick of the 2011 draft. But a gruesome ankle injury last summer, when he suffered multiple fractures on a slide while playing for Team USA, and a strained shoulder two weeks into this collegiate season altered his draft prospects and affected his play on the field.

Unable to throw without pain, Rendon was limited mostly to DH, and he hit .323 with five homers this season. He did, however, lead the nation with 80 walks, resulting in a .526 on-base percentage.

Offline Sharp

« Reply #18: June 06, 2011, 10:33:29 PM »
Rendon at 2B would be fine with me.  Espinosa's superior range at SS would probably help offset Rendon's limitations, and his bat would play better there too.  Then Desmond could be traded to one of the many teams looking for an SS, or used in a super utility role.

Offline RD

« Reply #19: June 06, 2011, 10:52:33 PM »
I still am amused at how many people still think Espinosa is all that, and Desmond is a POS.

Espinosa still has A LOT to prove. Hitting a few bombs doesn't change that.

Desmond still has things to prove as well, not saying he's proven himself. But both have a lot of work to do.

When people on this board develop a liking to a player, they will continue to push it no matter what. Espinosa's .220 average isn't proving anything(and I know Desmond is hitting essentially the same, without the pop but he's been ridiculous on the bases).

I think Rendon would make a sick second baseman offensively but I think he's headed to the outfield.

It's an easier transition to make, and will get him to the bigs quicker, ala Harper.

The best leadoff hitter in our entire organization is Lombardozzi. We're going to have to make room for him in the lineup. That could still mean a shift of Espinosa to short, it could mean keeping Desmond at short and trading Espinosa. It just opens up other options.

I dont want to make this about all that though, so on to Rendon.

We just made out like bandits. Rendon is a flat out stud. To be able to nab him at 6 is freaking amazing. He's a true middle of the order bat that will move quickly.

I liken him to Ryan Braun. While he is much more suited to play on the infield than Braun, I think his all arond bat is more than enough to be a star in the outfield. If he can make the move to 2b with that bat, we have the best 2b in the game. I don't care where he plays, his selection is arguably the best we could've hoped for, considering our offensive woes.

In 2013, we're going to have both Harper and Rendon in the lineup every day. With Werth and Zim, the offensive is going to be pretty damn good.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #20: June 06, 2011, 10:55:19 PM »
look at his OPS if nothing else, it's far better. espinosa's a better fielder than desmond too.

Offline RD

« Reply #21: June 06, 2011, 11:02:24 PM »
btw, Happy Birthday Anthony!

Drafted on his birthday. Not a bad day!

Offline TheCerebral1

« Reply #23: June 07, 2011, 12:17:32 AM »
Every pick of this draft has been so good.  If Arizona didn't get Bauer and then take Bradley this is the Nats draft.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #24: June 07, 2011, 12:20:39 AM »
I still am amused at how many people still think Espinosa is all that, and Desmond is a POS.

Espinosa still has A LOT to prove. Hitting a few bombs doesn't change that.

Desmond still has things to prove as well, not saying he's proven himself. But both have a lot of work to do.

When people on this board develop a liking to a player, they will continue to push it no matter what. Espinosa's .220 average isn't proving anything(and I know Desmond is hitting essentially the same, without the pop but he's been ridiculous on the bases).

What is this babble?  Have you bothered comparing their OBP's?