Author Topic: Nationals vs Marlins, Game 2  (Read 18605 times)

Offline NatsAddict

Re: Nationals vs Marlins, Game 2
« Reply #325: May 10, 2008, 09:53:51 PM »
In case you hadn't noticed, the Padres suck as bad as the Nats, so I don't think I would be touting that performance as evidence that it is acceptable that we should be getting shut out by this guy.  My point is that we rarely make a starting pitcher pitch even his average game; they almost always pitch better than their career average.

The Marlins have done the same thing 23 or 24 games this year, having starters pitch better than their ERA against the fish.  Last night was the first time since the opening series that the fish have scored more runs than they've allowed.  It's an all or nothing offense.  In the 29 games that they haven't scored 10+, they've averaged 3.8 R/Game.  But Wiley has really gotten the rotation humming and throwing strikes, and the pitching is winning the games over the past couple weeks.  What he's done with Miller over the last few weeks is unfrigginbelievable. 

The team ERA for May, coming into tonight, is 3.13.  The pitching was supposed to be the achilles for the fish, but Wiley has everyone smirking and wondering if this is for real.