Author Topic: College Hockey Thread - 2011-2012  (Read 3812 times)

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
College Hockey Thread - 2011-2012
« Topic Start: September 23, 2011, 02:32:23 PM »
Exhibitions start next weekend (and UAH takes on LSSU in regular season action) so now's a good a time as any to get this started.

Looks like the "Big Ten" is going to shake up the College Hockey scene much in the way Hockey East splitting from the ECAC did those many years ago.  I've gotta think the CCHA will go belly-up in 2013 with only two teams remaining (Notre Dame and BGU).  I have a feeling they end up as travel partners in the NCHC.  Also, the realignment has put the two Alaska teams in the same conference which I believe will help both of those programs immensely.

Thoughts?

http://www.uscho.com/from-the-press-box/2011/09/22/how-the-2013-14-conferences-look-after-nchc-goes-to-8/

Quote from: USCHO
How the 2013–14 conferences look after NCHC goes to 8
By Todd D. Milewski • Executive Editor • Thursday, September 22, 2011

Following up on an earlier post on how the conferences will look in 2013-14, when the Big Ten and National Collegiate Hockey Conference form, here's the breakdown after the NCHC's addition of St. Cloud State and Western Michigan:

ATLANTIC HOCKEY (12 teams, unchanged)
Air Force *
American International #
Army *
Bentley #
Canisius *
Connecticut *
Holy Cross *
Mercyhurst #
Niagara *
Rochester Institute of Technology ^
Robert Morris *
Sacred Heart *

BIG TEN (6 teams, new)
Michigan (from CCHA) *
Michigan State (from CCHA) *
Minnesota (from WCHA) *
Ohio State (from CCHA) *
Penn State (from independent) *
Wisconsin (from WCHA) *

CCHA (2 teams, loses 9)
Bowling Green *
Notre Dame *

ECAC HOCKEY (12 teams, unchanged)
Brown *
Clarkson ^
Colgate *
Cornell *
Dartmouth *
Harvard *
Princeton *
Quinnipiac *
Rensselaer ^
St. Lawrence ^
Union ^
Yale *

HOCKEY EAST (10 teams, unchanged)
Boston College *
Boston University *
Maine *
Massachusetts *
Massachusetts-Lowell #
Merrimack #
New Hampshire *
Northeastern *
Providence *
Vermont *

NCHC (8 teams, new)
Colorado College (from WCHA) ^
Denver (from WCHA) *
Miami (from CCHA) *
Minnesota-Duluth (from WCHA) #
Nebraska-Omaha (from WCHA) *
North Dakota (from WCHA) *
St. Cloud State (from WCHA) #
Western Michigan (from CCHA) *

WCHA (8 teams, loses 8, adds 4)
Alaska (from CCHA) #
Alaska-Anchorage #
Bemidji State #
Ferris State (from CCHA) #
Lake Superior State (from CCHA) #
Michigan Tech #
Minnesota State #
Northern Michigan (from CCHA) #

INDEPENDENT (1 team)
Alabama-Huntsville #

* - Schools at Division I level in all sports (38, 64 percent)
# - Schools at Division II level in most sports but Division I for hockey (15, 25 percent)
^ - Schools at Division III level in most sports but Division I for hockey (6, 10 percent)

As before, Bowling Green and Notre Dame are listed under the CCHA banner because they haven't yet announced where they're headed. The WCHA's deadline for Bowling Green to act on an invitation was set to come up this week, but now it appears that has been extended to Oct. 7, according to Kevin Gordon of the Bowling Green Sentinel-Tribune.

And as for Notre Dame, you have to think that the tumult in the Big East Conference, in which the Irish are members for many sports, could further push back a decision from South Bend. Every time there's a conference change, the Notre Dame-to-the-Big Ten machine gets going again, and this week has been no different.

By now, I'm just hoping we have a picture of how this thing is going to look by sometime in 2013.

Offline DPMOmaha

Re: College Hockey Thread - 2011-2012
« Reply #1: September 23, 2011, 02:48:43 PM »
I don't know enough about college hockey to know if the NCHC will be a quality conference or not.  I know i'm looking forward to going to a few games this winter, though!

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #2: September 23, 2011, 02:50:56 PM »
I don't know enough about college hockey to know if the NCHC will be a quality conference or not.  I know i'm looking forward to going to a few games this winter, though!

A lot of National Championships in that conference:  NoDak, UMD, Denver, CC.  Great history with some of the smaller schools who have historically played very well and can keep up with the big schools.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #3: September 23, 2011, 03:59:44 PM »
UMD stinks :razz:  As did BC the year before.

Most naturally, both Bowling Green and Notre Dame should be in the Big 10 for hockey.  They are BCS-type athletic programs and are located close to those schools. 

I also wonder if at some point the ECAC splits into two conferences.  I suppose that came up when hockey east was formed.  I think that the smaller athletic departments of the NY schools more comfortably fit with the Ivies than with the larger programs, so I'm guessing the ECAC hangs together.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #4: September 23, 2011, 08:49:41 PM »
UMD stinks :razz:  As did BC the year before.

Most naturally, both Bowling Green and Notre Dame should be in the Big 10 for hockey.  They are BCS-type athletic programs and are located close to those schools. 

It know it makes sense but they really want to make it a conference only comprised of Big Ten schools from football and hoops.

I also wonder if at some point the ECAC splits into two conferences.  I suppose that came up when hockey east was formed.  I think that the smaller athletic departments of the NY schools more comfortably fit with the Ivies than with the larger programs, so I'm guessing the ECAC hangs together.

HERESY!  The ECAC has to stick together.  As it stands, it's comprised mostly of schools that don't give out athletic scholarships.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #5: September 24, 2011, 08:42:35 AM »
HERESY!  The ECAC has to stick together.  As it stands, it's comprised mostly of schools that don't give out athletic scholarships.

There are a lot of traditional rivalries there (which actually matter when there is no TV money), the CCHA is kind of funny with two teams

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #6: September 24, 2011, 09:49:45 AM »
There are a lot of traditional rivalries there (which actually matter when there is no TV money), the CCHA is kind of funny with two teams

I'm really worried about this "Big Ten" conference thing.  I think Collegiate Hockey is looking to mainstream itself which would destroy the sport, IMO.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #7: September 24, 2011, 10:03:18 AM »
I'm really worried about this "Big Ten" conference thing.  I think Collegiate Hockey is looking to mainstream itself which would destroy the sport, IMO.

the NHL is having trouble getting a good TV deal, I doubt college hockey goes that way. Even if it does, most of the schools I care about (ECAC + Hockey East) wouldn't change things - do you really see Harvard saying of course we'll change the way our athletic department runs for hockey, I know when the Holy Cross wanted  the Patriot League to offer athletic scholarships my school (colgate) was one of the schools most opposed. Worst case scenario, Hockey East and ECAC become the I-AA equivalent of hockey and Big 10, SEC, ACC field all scholarship teams- then again, the NHL does have minor leagues, so it's not like football or basketball where you have guys good enough to be pro just waiting and pretending to be students

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #8: September 30, 2011, 10:06:36 AM »
Top 20 Poll is out.  4 ECAC teams in the top 20.

http://www.uscho.com/rankings/d-i-mens-poll/

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9: September 30, 2011, 07:59:26 PM »
#9 my a$$

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #10: October 01, 2011, 09:54:03 AM »
#9 my a$$

At least they're the highest ranked team in the conference.  :shrug:     :-[

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11: October 01, 2011, 10:07:29 AM »
I think not having Union or Yale make the Frozen Four last year was a missed chance at improving the ECAC's stature.  While Yale lost a lot (Little, Kearney, Rondeau, and their captain), they still are returning most of their top scorers (Miller, O'Neil) and Agostino was one of the top players in the Team USA development camp this summer.  I'm looking forward to this year, especially since I don't need to focus on baseball this October.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #12: October 01, 2011, 01:15:28 PM »
Are the rules significantly different for College Hockey as opposed to Olympic Hockey as Opposed to NHL Hockey? 

What are the MAJOR differences or would it take a book to explain?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13: October 01, 2011, 03:50:05 PM »
College allows ties at the end of regulation.  Major penalties result in an automatic game misconduct and suspension from the next game.  Basically, there is no fighting in college, and there is a temptation to exaggerate the gravity of hits in order to draw penalties (much like international soccer).  College never played with a red line for icing and 2 line passes.  I think the pros still play the red line for icing.  This used to lead to a bit more hanging by forwards near the opponents blue line for long passes.

International uses a bigger crease (the goalie area around the net) and typically plays on bigger ice.

Minty can fill you in on more subtle differences.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #14: October 03, 2011, 10:45:10 AM »
Other than what JCA already noted about the rules there isn't much.  The talent level certainly doesn't compare to the NHL but there are some who feel that NCAA hockey can compete with the Canadian Junior Leagues now.  We seem to be importing more and more really talented Canadian kids who like the idea of playing competitive hockey and getting a good education.

FWIW regarding ice surfaces, it's my understanding that some schools use the international ice surface while others use the NHL surface.  I like the idea of different ice surfaces because it allows you to build your team around your home ice surface.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15: October 06, 2011, 04:56:31 PM »
As before, Bowling Green and Notre Dame are listed under the CCHA banner because they haven't yet announced where they're headed. The WCHA's deadline for Bowling Green to act on an invitation was set to come up this week, but now it appears that has been extended to Oct. 7, according to Kevin Gordon of the Bowling Green Sentinel-Tribune.

And as for Notre Dame, you have to think that the tumult in the Big East Conference, in which the Irish are members for many sports, could further push back a decision from South Bend. Every time there's a conference change, the Notre Dame-to-the-Big Ten machine gets going again, and this week has been no different.

Hockey East for the Fighting Irish.

This leaves HE with an odd number of teams.  The link speculates that UConn is a natural, but I've got a hunch perhaps Bowling Green goes there as another midwest team.  Does HE travel with partners, or do they play two matches / home and home over the weekend?

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #16: October 06, 2011, 08:39:01 PM »
Hockey East for the Fighting Irish.

This leaves HE with an odd number of teams.  The link speculates that UConn is a natural, but I've got a hunch perhaps Bowling Green goes there as another midwest team.  Does HE travel with partners, or do they play two matches / home and home over the weekend?

Yes they do.  I believe that all conferences do so right now.

There's also a possibility that Navy joins Div I soon.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17: October 06, 2011, 09:25:47 PM »
I'd love to see Navy and either Maryland or George Mason establish programs so that there is a nice midatlantic pair to join some conference.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #18: October 06, 2011, 11:51:10 PM »
College allows ties at the end of regulation.  Major penalties result in an automatic game misconduct and suspension from the next game.  Basically, there is no fighting in college, and there is a temptation to exaggerate the gravity of hits in order to draw penalties (much like international soccer).  College never played with a red line for icing and 2 line passes.  I think the pros still play the red line for icing.  This used to lead to a bit more hanging by forwards near the opponents blue line for long passes.

International uses a bigger crease (the goalie area around the net) and typically plays on bigger ice.

Minty can fill you in on more subtle differences.

college has icing. international rules. defenseman doesnt have to touch it after it passes the goal line. play stops as soon as it crosses

Offline Dave B

« Reply #19: October 06, 2011, 11:53:10 PM »

FWIW regarding ice surfaces, it's my understanding that some schools use the international ice surface while others use the NHL surface.  I like the idea of different ice surfaces because it allows you to build your team around your home ice surface.

but then the NCAA tournament is neutral site and you might be SOL

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #20: October 07, 2011, 07:23:54 AM »
but then the NCAA tournament is neutral site and you might be SOL

Nothing wrong with that...

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #21: October 14, 2011, 01:51:36 PM »
Big night in Schenectady tonight - #12 Western Michigan v. #11 Union. 

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #22: October 31, 2011, 03:48:41 PM »
Good game on the CBS Sports Network (formerly CSTV) this Friday (11/4) @ 7:30  -  Cornell at Yale.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #23: October 31, 2011, 08:15:16 PM »
Good game on the CBS Sports Network (formerly CSTV) this Friday (11/4) @ 7:30  -  Cornell at Yale.

11/5 is the better game ;)

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #24: November 01, 2011, 07:51:28 AM »
11/5 is the better game ;)

Yale v. Toothpaste?