Author Topic: Gammons crying for Brendan Donnelly  (Read 1536 times)

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
Gammons crying for Brendan Donnelly
« Topic Start: December 16, 2007, 11:16:12 AM »
Peter Gammons spins a nice tale regarding the injustice of the Mitchell Report regarding (surprise) a Red Sox reliever.

It sounds like a good story, but after reading it here:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3156636

It doesn't seem to mesh with the excerpts from the Mitchell Report here:

Brendan Donnelly

Brendan Donnelly is a pitcher who has played with two teams in Major League
Baseball since 2002, the Los Angeles Angels and Boston Red Sox. He was selected to play in
the All-Star game in 2003.

Radomski said that Donnelly was referred to him by Adam Riggs. Both Riggs
and Donnelly played for the Angels in 2003 and 2004. Radomski recalled that Donnelly called
him in 2004 looking for Anavar, an anabolic steroid. Radomski made one sale to Donnelly of
Deca-Durabolin for which Donnelly paid $250 to $300.

In considering whether to trade for Donnelly in 2007, Red Sox baseball
operations personnel internally discussed concerns that Donnelly was using performance
enhancing substances. In an email to vice president of player personnel Ben Charington dated
December 13, 2006, Zack Scott of the Red Sox baseball operations staff wrote of Donnelly: “He
was a juice guy but his velocity hasn’t changed a lot over the years . . . If he was a juice guy, he
could be a breakdown candidate.” Kyle Evans of the baseball operations staff agreed with
these concerns, responding in an email that “I haven’t heard many good things about him, w[ith]
significant steroid rumors.”

In order to provide Donnelly with information about these allegations and to give
him an opportunity to respond, I asked him to meet with me; he declined.

And thus begins what will likely begin a never-ending cycle of these conflicts of information between testimony and some poor sap's explanation, while the gods at ESPN try to defend their favorite sources while vilifying others. What a mess.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Re: Gammons crying for Brendan Donnelly
« Reply #1: December 16, 2007, 11:31:00 AM »
I hope Gammons' reputation takes a hit for this as well.

Offline shoeshineboy

« Reply #2: December 16, 2007, 11:50:40 AM »
I hope Gammons' reputation takes a hit for this as well.

I like Gammons, but I fear that ESPN has gone so far to own the sports marketplace by hiring so many print reporters and columnists while inking long-term TV deals with the sports leagues that it has grown increasingly difficult for them to separate themselves and be as objective as possible. Seeing Steve Phillips, who was Mets GM from 1997-2003 blather on the other day about how GMs like him heard rumors but were in no position to really do anything blah blah was one of the most pathetic things I have seen on ESPN. These guys have really woven a tangled web for themselves.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #3: December 16, 2007, 11:53:17 AM »
I like Gammons, but I fear that ESPN has gone so far to own the sports marketplace by hiring so many print reporters and columnists while inking long-term TV deals with the sports leagues that it has grown increasingly difficult for them to separate themselves and be as objective as possible. Seeing Steve Phillips, who was Mets GM from 1997-2003 blather on the other day about how GMs like him heard rumors but were in no position to really do anything blah blah was one of the most pathetic things I have seen on ESPN. These guys have really woven a tangled web for themselves.

Yes I agree. I have always liked Gammons but he is very biased when it comes to the REd Sox and guys he generally has personal friendships with.

arkymark

« Reply #4: December 16, 2007, 11:56:19 AM »
There doesn't seem to be any question in that memo.  Actually, these front office memos are more damning than the accusations against particular players because this is management treating substance abuse as normal and trying to figure out whether it benefits them or hurts them.  

I don't see how this report can be considered a whitewash.  Mitchell seems to give credit to the idea that half the players were doing something improper, he holds management and the union to have avoided confronting the situation, and he names names of people that he doesn't have an airtight case against, which he didn't have to do if he was trying to cover things up.  

I can almost understand why the union told people not to cooperate with the investigation, though I think it was a terrible path to take.  But whoever urged these guys who now claim to be innocent not to respond to the specific charges that were going to be made against them gave them terrible advice.  Worst labor decision since the umpires resigned.

Offline shoeshineboy

« Reply #5: December 16, 2007, 12:20:52 PM »
There doesn't seem to be any question in that memo.  Actually, these front office memos are more damning than the accusations against particular players because this is management treating substance abuse as normal and trying to figure out whether it benefits them or hurts them.  

I don't see how this report can be considered a whitewash.  Mitchell seems to give credit to the idea that half the players were doing something improper, he holds management and the union to have avoided confronting the situation, and he names names of people that he doesn't have an airtight case against, which he didn't have to do if he was trying to cover things up.  

I can almost understand why the union told people not to cooperate with the investigation, though I think it was a terrible path to take.  But whoever urged these guys who now claim to be innocent not to respond to the specific charges that were going to be made against them gave them terrible advice.  Worst labor decision since the umpires resigned.

I guess for many of us, the whitewash part of this is that while it includes evidence that the league officials knew stuff was going on, it highlights the players' actions while complaining that the league did not do enough to stop it. This is not news. We already knew most of these names and that the problem existed and was widespread. The Report gives an initial indication of how widespread the coverup and enablement was within the ranks of the league and the FO personnel. That is where there should have been a real investigation. We already knew a large percentage of the league was juicing. And we knew the league simply shrugged their shoulders and blamed it on the Union. This was a chance to pull back the curtain and expose the whole dirty mess for what it was.

I agree that there is a lot in the report that intimates at a widespread level of collusion. But the coverage of this is all about players. The attack is centered on the doped up cattle, not the people running the farms.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #6: December 16, 2007, 12:30:56 PM »
Disgraceful article by Gammons.  Okay, so you're pals with the guy, but don't foist that bunch of rubbish off on your readers as being somehow a valid, supported viewpoint.  Better to not comment that print such garbage.

Donnelly a cheater?  Has there ever been any doubt?

Offline spidernat

« Reply #7: December 16, 2007, 01:05:51 PM »
Disgraceful article by Gammons.  Okay, so you're pals with the guy, but don't foist that bunch of rubbish off on your readers as being somehow a valid, supported viewpoint.  Better to not comment that print such garbage.

Strong post tomterp :thumbs:

Offline Dave B

« Reply #8: December 16, 2007, 01:12:07 PM »
I like how Donnelly is steroid savvy enough to refer to Deca-Whatever by its nickname "Deca". At the very least he seems well versed on the subject.  No paper huh? I guess he was smart enough to use cash

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #9: December 16, 2007, 01:56:29 PM »

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #10: December 16, 2007, 11:56:50 PM »

Pinetar isn't cheating - it's creativity

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #11: December 17, 2007, 01:50:29 PM »
Pinetar isn't cheating - it's creativity

Yeah, ask George Brett, he'll back that up...

« Reply #12: December 17, 2007, 02:01:15 PM »
I haven't slept since that came out.

Poor baby.  Maybe Gammons will come over for a sleep over if you invite him.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #13: December 17, 2007, 02:02:49 PM »
Poor baby.  Maybe Gammons will come over for a sleep over if you invite him.

Petey - "You look like you need a back rub"
Brendey - "ooooh, that sounds lovey"

etc.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #14: December 17, 2007, 02:29:11 PM »
Petey - "You look like you need a back rub"
Brendey - "ooooh, that sounds lovey"

etc.

Sick, just sick  :rofl:

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #15: December 17, 2007, 02:33:46 PM »
Yeah, ask George Brett, he'll back that up...
:funny: