Author Topic: Tom Paciorek OUT - Buck Martinez or Steve Stone IN?  (Read 6232 times)

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
Abstracted from Svrluga Article:
Quote from: "Washington Post"
Ex-big leaguer Tom Paciorek, who served as a color analyst on the team's television broadcasts on the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network, was told that his contract would not be renewed. Paciorek said he was told by Chris Glass, MASN's executive producer, that the Nationals had made the decision.

(Image removed from quote.)

"I was really disappointed, because of all my 19 years in broadcasting, this was the most fun I've had," Paciorek said yesterday. "I was most proud of what we accomplished this year because I love being part of a team, and I thought we were really well-received.

"But I've also been in this business long enough to know that I don't appeal to people in high authority. I'm not sure why."

Paciorek said he would retire from broadcasting, "because this is the only job I wanted."

Nationals President Stan Kasten declined to comment, as did MASN General Manager Bob Whitelaw. Play-by-play man Bob Carpenter is signed through 2007.

Bye Wimpy.  I really hated him at the beginning...but then he grew on me and I'm actually gonna miss him now.  Wish him good luck and hope he finds something as rewarding somewhere else.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
Tom Paciorek OUT - Buck Martinez or Steve Stone IN?
« Reply #1: November 07, 2006, 06:49:05 AM »
I'd like to see the Nats have a couple of guys in the booth that they keep for a while.  Why fire Paciorek?

Offline natsfan7

• I am the Nationals number seventh fan!
« Reply #2: November 07, 2006, 07:09:21 AM »
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! This guy was great...........

Offline Dave B

« Reply #3: November 07, 2006, 09:04:58 AM »
GET UP! GET UP!

He was alright. Too bad, he seemed to really want to be here.  Nobody else seems to

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #4: November 07, 2006, 10:12:26 AM »
Damn that sucks.  He was hillarious and not some sleepy old boring broadcaster like the Braves and Phillies' have.  I liked Mel and Ron and Bob and Tom.  Maybe we can keep Bob?

Offline natsfan7

• I am the Nationals number seventh fan!
« Reply #5: November 07, 2006, 01:41:53 PM »
Bob is signed through 2007......

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #6: November 07, 2006, 08:38:45 PM »
I do NOT understand this at all...how are they going to develop a fan base if the fricking faces & voices of the team change every year????!!!  Everyone I canvassed about this liked Tom - I certainly did - so I am absolutely baffled.  

Maybe they'll offer FR a broadcasting job now??

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #7: November 07, 2006, 08:52:11 PM »
Quote from: "Ali the Baseball Cat"
Maybe they'll offer FR a broadcasting job now??
Please no...I'm done with Frank.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #8: November 07, 2006, 10:41:45 PM »
Quote from: "Senators2005"
Please no...I'm done with Frank.

Now why'd you have to go and say a thing like that?  :cry:

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #9: November 07, 2006, 10:43:45 PM »
As for Paciorek, everbody said he annoyed them during the season, but now everyone's saying what a great guy he was and how they'll miss him???

« Reply #10: November 07, 2006, 10:45:02 PM »
You know...they are sports announcers, just sports announcers.

I'm waiting for someone to crack the line:  "Paciorek being fired just doesn't show me that the Lerners are committed to winning."

• babble on
« Reply #11: November 07, 2006, 10:50:47 PM »
Quote from: "Nat of the LivingDead"
You know...they are sports announcers, just sports announcers.

I'm waiting for someone to crack the line:  "Paciorek being fired just doesn't show me that the Lerners are committed to winning."

I just liked the guy...and I had DirecTV, so I probably saw more of the fellah than a lot of people.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #12: November 07, 2006, 10:51:02 PM »
Quote from: "The Chief"
As for Paciorek, everbody said he annoyed them during the season, but now everyone's saying what a great guy he was and how they'll miss him??? (Image removed from quote.)
like I said in my post - he grows on ya.  Like owning a hermit crab when you were a kid - ugly disgusting animal...but after you own it for awhile you start to think it's cute.

• babble on
« Reply #13: November 07, 2006, 10:53:48 PM »
Quote from: "The Chief"
As for Paciorek, everbody said he annoyed them during the season, but now everyone's saying what a great guy he was and how they'll miss him??? (Image removed from quote.)
like I said in my post - he grows on ya.  Like owning a hermit crab when you were a kid - ugly disgusting animal...but after you own it for awhile you start to think it's cute.

Not a bad analogy...

« Reply #14: November 07, 2006, 10:59:11 PM »
But like the hermit crab, you begin to think Paciorek is cute then you realize it just really isn't that interesting of an animal, you grow bored of how boring it really is, and you forget about it until it starts stinking up the joint.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #15: November 07, 2006, 11:01:52 PM »
But like the hermit crab, you begin to think Paciorek is cute then you realize it just really isn't that interesting of an animal, you grow bored of how boring it really is, and you forget about it until it starts stinking up the joint.
ROFLMAO - Response of the Off Season Award!  

CharmCityCrab

« Reply #16: November 08, 2006, 11:58:28 AM »
I'm kind of disappointed to see Tom Paciorek go.  I really enjoyed his perspective on things.  I thought that whole team with he and Bob Carpenter was really excellent, a lot of fun.  It spices up last place baseball if the announcers seem like they're excited and enjoying themselves, and to have them comment on things like the President mascot race and so forth.  I could have done without hearing "Schienderman" repeated 70-zillion times during every broadcast with associated puns (Enough already), but that's a fairly minor nitpick.

For those of you who didn't like him, what didn't you like about him, specifically?  I wasn't around this forum during the season, so I didn't get to read any critiques of him back then.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Bye Wimpy.  I really hated him at the beginning...but then he grew on me.....

So does mold...  :wink:  I've only had to watch him three or four times, for which I'm thankful. There are way better color people out there than Tom Paciorek. Steve Stone seems to be very interested and he's way better than Paciorek any day...

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #18: November 08, 2006, 05:55:49 PM »
Abstracted from Ladson Article...
Quote from: "Nationals Dot Com"
Nationals dismiss Paciorek
11/07/2006 6:33 PM ET
By Bill Ladson / MLB.com

WASHINGTON -- Tom Paciorek said Tuesday he was told by Mid-Atlantic Sports Network that his contract will not be renewed as the Nationals' color analyst.
Paciorek, who teamed with play-by-play broadcaster Bob Carpenter, was given the news by MASN's executive producer, Chris Glass.

"Glass told me it was a decision made by the Nationals and it wasn't made by the broadcasting people," Paciorek said. "I understand the nature of this business, but I've never been more proud of what we've accomplished as a team. It was the most enjoyable out of [my] 19 years in broadcasting.

"I don't appeal to the upper-echelon people. That has happened my entire career. I was pushed out of Chicago [White Sox] ... and ... out of Atlanta. My personality did not appeal to them and the same thing happened with [Nationals vice president of business affairs] Mike Shapiro and [club president] Stan Kasten in Washington. That's my opinion and I'll stick with it."

In an e-mail, Kasten said comments about Paciorek should come from MASN. Glass said Kasten and Shapiro were not part of the final decision and that his conversation with Paciorek was different.

"We speak to the Nationals all the time, but it was a joint decision by MASN and the Nationals. It's unfair to put names to this situation," Glass said.

Paciorek, who is a former Major League player, said he will retire and babysit his grandchildren.

"I regret that I won't be able to see Ryan Zimmerman become a superstar, Nick Johnson and his family on the road and having fun with them, and all the really good kids that they have on the team," Paciorek said.

Glass and the Nationals would not comment about Paciorek's replacement, but two sources said the club prefers a former Major League pitcher or catcher.

One source said that Buck Martinez is a candidate. He is currently working for MASN as an Orioles color analyst. Martinez has been in the broadcast booth since 1987, when he started as a color commentator for the Blue Jays. Martinez also did work for the ESPN.

Another source said that Steve Stone, a former pitcher and Cy Young Award winner, would like to go back to the booth on a regular basis. Stone worked for ESPN last year, and is best known as Harry Caray's broadcast partner with the Cubs on WGN for over a decade.
I can't stand Buck Martinez's voice...I prefer Stone by a million.

« Reply #19: November 08, 2006, 05:59:18 PM »
Isn't Buck on XM radio a bunch?  If so, he sounds like he is going to fall over in the booth at any minute.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #20: November 08, 2006, 06:03:42 PM »
Isn't Buck on XM radio a bunch?  If so, he sounds like he is going to fall over in the booth at any minute.
Yeah he has his own show over there...hope he stays.  His voice annoys the ____ out of me.  I remember he managed the Expos at one point sometime before Frank arrived.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #21: November 08, 2006, 07:28:27 PM »
Yeah he has his own show over there...hope he stays.  His voice annoys the ____ out of me.  I remember he managed the Expos at one point sometime before Frank arrived.

Agreed.  His voice is terrible, and all of his opinions are worthless.  In the words of Bill Ladson, "The next intelligent thing he says will be his first."

Offline Dave B

« Reply #22: November 08, 2006, 08:59:10 PM »
ixnay uckbay artinezmay.

in my limiting listening of him he sounds like a putz.  i dont want some orioles POS

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #23: November 09, 2006, 11:07:42 AM »
Just say NO to former Orioles' announcers.  I'm not interested in hearing trivia about Orioles games that our announcer had broadcast one time - during a National's telecast.  This team is NOT the National League Orioles.  MASN can hire a former Washington Senators player, who can provide trivia that links that team to this one.  A lot of them live around DC (no relocation costs), and could now be retired from post-playing jobs and available to broadcast.  

If Tom Paciorek was the one doing the relentless and annoying Everybody Loves Raymond impressions, that alone could have cost him the job.  It got real old, real fast.  Otherwise, he was all right.

Congress needs to strip Peter "The Pig" Angelos of Washington's broadcast rights, or revoke baseball's anti-trust exemption.  Fark you, MASN!

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #24: November 09, 2006, 11:37:34 AM »
You guys are being a little hard on ol' Buck.  He's a former Blue Jays catcher (got that Minty?) who lives and breathes baseball.  He spent quite a bit of time at RFK last season, catching Nats games when he wasn't doing his Orioles broadcasts.  I agree with the posts that his voice is not very pleasant, but he really does his homework on the teams, knows a lot about individual players throughout the league, and would be superbly prepared for each broadcast.  

I think it a bit unfair to tar him with the Orioles brush too much.  It's a job, man's got to earn a living.