Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Anthony Rendon, 3B (and 2B, we hope)  (Read 84634 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Follow the Prospects: Anthony Rendon, 3B
« Reply #75: September 27, 2011, 09:52:08 AM »
Desmond's offense has been completely dependent on his contact and balls dropping in.  Polanco and Ichiro made great livings doing that, but it is not very common to have sustained success at the top of the order playing that way. 

Boz said that Desmond is one of those players that has a huge split of opinion among the "scout" types and the "stat" types in the organization.  Scouts see a leader who has great range, speed, and think he will eventually be a good hitter.  Stats guys see the .300 OBP, the fumbly hands, less spectacular range, at a position we have excess at.

I have a hunch that the middle infield will become a lot like, "who is your favorite Beatle?"  Right now, Epsi and Desi are John and Paul, Lombo is George, the veteran is Ringo. Rendon?  Eric Clapton?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #76: September 27, 2011, 09:56:26 AM »
I have a hunch that the middle infield will become a lot like, "who is your favorite Beatle?"  Right now, Epsi and Desi are John and Paul, Lombo is George, the veteran is Ringo. Rendon?  Eric Clapton?

:wtf:

:lol:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #77: September 27, 2011, 12:02:34 PM »
While My Guitar Gently Weeps - one of my all time favorites.

Offline Bloo

« Reply #78: September 27, 2011, 05:17:40 PM »

He could become Yoko Ono if he takes over Zimmerman's position...

Offline TylerDC

• The Future.
« Reply #79: September 28, 2011, 07:00:23 AM »
Well Rendon does some pretty cool facial hair..

Offline GNatsNoMore

« Reply #80: September 28, 2011, 01:43:37 PM »

So you're saying that Rendon will just keep the hits coming and coming for decades, like Clapton?  ;)

Offline blue911

« Reply #81: September 28, 2011, 02:03:57 PM »
So you're saying that Rendon will just keep the hits coming and coming for decades, like Clapton?  ;)

Nah, that he'll bang Lombo's wife.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #82: September 28, 2011, 06:31:21 PM »
Nah, that he'll bang Lombo's wife.

That too.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #83: September 29, 2011, 12:22:27 AM »
Where is Rendon? AFL or shut down?

Offline GNatsNoMore

« Reply #84: September 29, 2011, 11:31:38 AM »

Apparently he's in the instructional league in Florida right now, along with Purke, Meyer and Goodwin.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #85: September 29, 2011, 11:51:43 AM »

Just arrived in Arizona with the rest of the AFL players yesterday.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #86: September 29, 2011, 01:04:03 PM »
http://www.masnsports.com/byron_kerr/2011/09/harper-rendon-solis-and-others-head-for-arizona-fall-league.html

Also, making his Arizona fall league debut will be first-round selection out of Rice University, third baseman Rendon.

"The ball comes off his bat well." Harris said. "You can tell it makes a different sound off his bat. Anthony has worked hard in the batting cage. He looks really good at the plate. You can see how he could really impress. He is a handsy type of hitter."

"Rendon uses the barrel of the bat making contact", Harris continued. "There is not a lot of effort in his swing. The ball came off his bat and suddenly its off the right center wall, then another at-bat he hits one off the left center wall. He is taking good at-bats."

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #87: September 29, 2011, 01:20:56 PM »
Can you imagine an infield of

Zimmerman
Espinosa
Rendon
Morse

Next year? Holy cow. And an outfield of

Harper
Upton (hammondsnats bat signal)
Werth

:az:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #88: September 29, 2011, 03:15:33 PM »
I'm beginning to get tired of the phrase "it makes a different sound coming off his bat."  First time I think I heard it was from Buck O'Neil, describing the sound he has heard a ball make when Bo Jackson hit one that had a sound he had heard only twice before, when Josh Gibson and Babe Ruth connected.  Now it is used too commonly.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #89: September 29, 2011, 04:00:37 PM »
Wait, so they went to the Fall League and not the Instructional League? Or are those the same thing?

I'm beginning to get tired of the phrase "it makes a different sound coming off his bat."  First time I think I heard it was from Buck O'Neil, describing the sound he has heard a ball make when Bo Jackson hit one that had a sound he had heard only twice before, when Josh Gibson and Babe Ruth connected.  Now it is used too commonly.

lol, its scout speak :D You'd like Moneyball

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #90: September 29, 2011, 04:00:55 PM »
Can you imagine an infield of

Zimmerman
Espinosa
Rendon
Morse

Next year? Holy cow. And an outfield of

Harper
Upton (hammondsnats bat signal)
Werth

:az:

and Ramos behind the plate too!

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #91: September 29, 2011, 04:05:40 PM »
Wait, so they went to the Fall League and not the Instructional League? Or are those the same thing?

lol, its scout speak :D You'd like Moneyball

They're different things. They started out in instructional league, which is in Florida... then a select few were sent out to Arizona to play in the Arizona Fall League... where stats are kept and you can even watch the games on Gameday. Heck, some of the stadiums even have pitch f/x installed so you can see how hard these guys are throwing.

Offline blue911

« Reply #92: September 29, 2011, 04:17:21 PM »

They used to say the ball made a different sound coming off my bat. Somewhere between a wet roll of toilet paper and an over ripe cantaloupe.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #93: September 29, 2011, 10:29:16 PM »
Two questions about Rendon need to be answereda by the end of AFL:

1) Is his bat as major league ready as indicated?
2) Can he play any other position other than 3B?

Offline GNatsNoMore

« Reply #94: September 29, 2011, 11:03:30 PM »

I wonder if they play him at 2B (or another infield position besides 3B) there.  Has anyone heard anything about their plans for him for AFL?  If he answers a strong "yes" for both of your questions, then it will be interesting to see what they do with him and Desmond by 2013. You'd think that one of them would probably be traded.

I noticed the Kerr article about AFL cited above says the first game is on Oct. 4.  Is there any way website that gives live AFL game updates, play-by-play, etc.?

Offline RD

« Reply #95: September 29, 2011, 11:09:56 PM »

While it would be nice to see him tear it up, we don't NEED to find out anything from the AFL.

It'd be great if he could make an impact in the bigs at some point next year, but what he does in the AFL won't preclude him from rising quickly next year.

And I would think he probably won't be making a switch of positions in the AFL. He'll probably play whats comfortable, third, to get his feet wet at the pro level.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #96: September 29, 2011, 11:15:12 PM »
GNats, yes, you can follow all the AFL games on MLB's site. Even watch it in Gameday.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #97: September 30, 2011, 03:24:08 AM »
Remember: Rizzo said that they will worry about his position later. They will see if he can play first then they will place him at a position of need... (or was this Harper? :lol: )

Offline GNatsNoMore

« Reply #98: September 30, 2011, 07:44:18 PM »
GNats, yes, you can follow all the AFL games on MLB's site. Even watch it in Gameday.

Thanks.  Someone should start an AFL games thread in the next few days.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #99: October 01, 2011, 05:21:00 PM »
I'm thinking the AFL is more about pitching/hitting and less about fielding. Sure the fielders are out there doing their thing, but it just seems as though it's more about the match ups between big time pitching/hitting prospects. Good fielding is just a side note.